• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unloaded my Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Muzzle loader season ended here last Sunday, had to unload the 58 cal. Hawken flintlock. Fired without issue after being loaded/carried in the woods for 3 weeks off and on. Didn't connect with the buck that is on our place, he'll be bigger next year.

Shot 15 shots offhand at 50 yards into a 12" square gong, hit everyone!!
Gave it a good cleaning, ready for next shooting session. Now to get going on y Kibler Colonial.

Don

I left mine loaded for two months one year. Shot a big doe with the same load the last day of flintlock season.

I never had any issues. Naturally if the pan gets wet then I’ll shoot it off and start with a clean dry rifle the next day. Damp wet days I do refresh the pan powder often.

A un loaded gun is a safe gun unless you use it has a club, for me it is piece of mind I have worked on too many guns with a charge still left in , I had a friend in the States who was lucky he nearly lost a eye because he left his rifle loaded a year previous and forgot and loaded it again the recoil imbedded the hammer in his head just above his eye he never now leaves his gun charged.
Feltwad

One season I left my .54 cal. GPR loaded for a five day hunt in my deer blind. Unfortunately, I was using my very comfortable LP gas heater during daylight hours, and shut it off at night. At the end of the five day hunt, when I tried to fire it to empty, no bang. I wound up having to have help to pull the ball, and clean black powder sludge. I can only assume condensation got me from cold/warm/cold temp. changes. I now unload (fire) at the end of each day. The only good news was I never saw the big guy shooter with a gun that wouldn't shoot.

My father always said it's always the empty gun that'll kill you. Because it'll get loaded and treated as an empty gun.

I've had the unpleasant task of responding to several accidental shootings... each time someone said... we thought the gun was empty.

If they had thought the gun was LOADED and treated it as such then many lives would've been saved.

Almost EVERY gun in this house is loaded.

I always leave loaded for the season (few months) if not fired, never an issue. Trick is once loaded do not take it in the house, always leave mine cased in the shed and in the bed of my truck when driving to hunting land.

First thing you do when receiving a gun in hand is check to see its not loaded, even if the guy that handed it to you did that very thing. Especially with muzzleloaders, always check, especially old muzzleloaders, back in the day they were left loaded for a reason. Many restorers find them in that condition, and even they forget sometimes, never assume anything.
Robin

I wonder what they did back then :dunno:
I gotta be honest, I really don't find the rationale of "they did it back then" particularly useful today. For most of us, we're not living off the land where we need to kill dinner every couple of days or the likelihood of hostile neighbors (if we have hostile neighbors today, I doubt many of us are relying on a flintlock to defend the homestead). Leaving a charge in the barrel throughout hunting season is a personal choice. If I lived in a rural enough area that I could hunt out my back door, I'd probably do the same since it would be a near-daily occurrence. As it is, I unload after every hunt, because it may be anywhere from a few days to next year before I get out again, and I have to drive a ways to get back home.

Then that is what you should do. Others situations and circumstances may differ and as such their practice of keeping it loaded may differ.
Robby

Back