• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unloaded my Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my firearms are loaded all the time. That's the mindset that I have. Even if I have an unmentionable opened up. that gun is loaded! My Dad drummed that into me from the time I was old enough to understand and from then on. Fortunately I listened to him. Even when I was in my teens and knew everything and he was questionable at best, I listened to him on that one subject. Leave them loaded, don't leave them loaded, it doesn't matter. They're all loaded.

One season I left my .54 cal. GPR loaded for a five day hunt in my deer blind. Unfortunately, I was using my very comfortable LP gas heater during daylight hours, and shut it off at night. At the end of the five day hunt, when I tried to fire it to empty, no bang. I wound up having to have help to pull the ball, and clean black powder sludge. I can only assume condensation got me from cold/warm/cold temp. changes. I now unload (fire) at the end of each day. The only good news was I never saw the big guy shooter with a gun that wouldn't shoot.

Condensation/moisture from LP heaters is legendary in the ice fishing community. Drying out poorly insulated shanties is a real issue, and dripping moisture can be a problem. More likely the heater than temperature cycling.

I discharge at the end of each outing. Start each day with a clean bore and fresh powder. The problem I have is that if I leave it loaded no one else knows. All my stuff will be going to my Nephew in law should I be called Home. He would not know what I did with it last time I used it. And he also has young kids. Better off leaving a clean and ready to load flinter in storage. Its not like we face hostiles on a daily basis even then ball and powder would be a last resort. At times where I have fouled out do to in-climate weather It is taken home flushed out oiled and put away . Yup it has happened in spite of most careful efforts. I have used this practice and 99% percent of the time it barks when needed.
Just my 2Cnts....SM

I'm with BEP on this one. I was taught from the git go that all guns are always loaded. I teach this mantra also. As for unloading a MZ gun on a hunting trip that is up to the hunter.

I like to go to gun shows here in Texas and my interest is always in muzzle loaders. They are hard to sell and are bought at bargain prices most of the times. I bought a Thompson Center that had no ramrod and found out it was loaded when I checked it at home. I pulled the sabot and cleaned out all the powder and the bore was not hurt. I should have had a rod to check it. I carry one with me now!

A firearm is as dangerous as the shooter is cautious. The wise shooter leaves a marker such as a quill or toothpick or pipe cleaner in the flash hole, and or covers the frizzen. Some visual indicator of a loaded weapon. The dummy simply puts the gun away then forgets. Its as simple as that.

Once loaded my gun never comes back into the house. I leave it cased in our unheated garage on a table. This way no condensation forms from temperarure changes. Plus the fact that the gun is out there is an indicator in itself of a loaded firearm.

One can always use a mini tie wrap around the hammer leg as a visual reminder. When done cut it off.
IMG_0096.jpg

Last edited:
How much corrosion formed at the breech or is it erosion?
If the gun is loaded clean, no corrosion will form. If the gun is loaded after having been shot, then the residue from the previously burned blackpowder will draw moisture and corrosion. In the latter case, the gun will be fired, and cleaned, at the end of the day.

When the loaded flintlock is in the house, the ramrod is in the barrel, indicating the gun is loaded. There is a wooden pick in the vent hole.
First Rule of Gun Safety: "All guns are loaded, until you determine otherwise."

Richard/Grumpa

Always unload the muzzle loader clean up and ready for the next time habitat I guess!!

A un loaded gun is a safe gun unless you use it has a club,
Exactly, an unloaded gun is useless, except as a club. All guns are loaded, and are to be treated as such, period.

So leaving it loaded is no more dangerous than leaving your kitchen knives in an unlocked drawer or gas in one's chainsaw.
If someone is going to do something stupid,,,,, let 'em, there are too many stupid people...

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, an unloaded gun is useless, except as a club. All guns are loaded, and are to be treated as such, period.

So leaving it loaded is no more dangerous than leaving your kitchen knives in an unlocked drawer or gas in one's chainsaw.
If someone is going to do something stupid,,,,, screw it, let 'em, there are too many stupid people...
Sir I am not stupid and there is no way I would leave a gun loaded
Feltwad

Let me know where you idiots that leave your guns loaded are hunting and I'll stay away .I'm sure you guys will do other dumb stuff.
Do you have a self defense firearm in your home? Guess you leave that unloaded too!

Think me an idiot all you want. I dont care what you think of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is unloaded except for the 1911 by my bed and the bb gun we use to discourage squirrels at the bird feeders.
When the grandkids come the 1911 goes in a safe and they get lessons with the bb gun.

Latest posts

Back