• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I unloaded my rifle tonight.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I loaded it up the beginning of late season flintlock and after two weeks just unloaded it.

The thing I was most concerned with was the charge in the pan. I have a specific way I charge the pan when target shooting, but of course hunting the rifle was muzzle up, muzzle down, muzzle all around. The instant ignition told me that charging the pan and having the powder oriented *just so* really isn't all that important. Not for this gun anyway.

And I hit about 2-1/2" below where I was aiming, but I was standing leaning against something and not shooting off the bags, where I am sighted in to hit an inch or so high at 50yds. I also shot as if I was shooting at a deer and the front sight wasn't perfectly settled... It could have been me, could have been a deterioration of powder by the mink oil lubed patch. I've read comments both ways on if a lubed patch with mink oil will affect powder and I went with it won't. I think it was me though. It went off even quicker than I was expecting. I was wearing gloves.

Anyway, my first muzzleloading season in a long long time and I answered myself a couple questions at the end of it.
Better luck next year.

IMG_1649.jpg

I was aiming at that crack where the 4x4 was sitting on the skid.
IMG_1650.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, okay,,, the way it was worded made me think it might have been.

My experience has been much the same. Have left the gun loaded for over a month, even went out in some wet weather. I keep the vent plugged and a greased, tight fitting wad of rag stuffed in the muzzle, between outings. The only time I've had a failure to fire is when the vent plug broke off in the vent hole.
I know some say it is sacrilege and certain to cause failure and one's children to have webbed feet, but I even have brought the gun inside after being out in cold weather with no issues.

Next year I hope you unload it on a deer.

When I use to hunt I always left the rifle loaded (sans prime) until season's
over or it is fired at game. But if I go out and rain, mist, etc gets on the rifle I fire it and clean it when I get home.

Latest posts

Back