• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

undersized ball experiment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LME

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a smaller cal. ball in a rifle by using a very thick patch? Like a .45 in a .54? I would think you could stack patches until you got a good seal? I have not tried this but I can't get it off my mind?

Has anyone tried a smaller cal. ball in a rifle by using a very thick patch? Like a .45 in a .54? I would think you could stack patches until you got a good seal? I have not tried this but I can't get it off my mind?
There is a very recent thread about a guy using .32 or a .36 (can't remember which) in a much bigger bore. Had good success with a combo of wad below patched ball and double patch on the ball or some such. He took a lot of b.s. from some people here (big surprise I know 🙄) as to why and how he couldn't possibly be actually having good results so the topic died.
If I can find it again I'll post a link.

I've told the story before. I once went to a large match with my .45 cal. Douglas barreled "Half Breed" target rifle. Normally, I use .445" balls in it but have also used quite a few .457" to try to squeeze more accuracy from the rifle. However, this day, I found I had forgotten to pack any round balls for the event. The only balls I could find from the vendors was a box of Hornaday swaged .440". Not wanting to sit out the competition I bought them. They shot so well I won the 100 yard bench rest match. This was against heavy genuine bench rifles. I only used my normal ticking patching. Not too shabby. (BTW, the rifle only weighs 11 lb.)

I've thought about doing this with my .54 Renegade, just because it's ornery about what it will shoot accurately. It likes a .530" ball with 0.017" ticking patch but that load is so $^%^&^@#$%$&%^%$^ ornery to load that I have been searching for something that I can push down the bore a little easier. I think I'd like to try a 1/8" hard card over the powder with a .490" ball with two 0.015" patches. That would give 0.010" compression on the ball, hopefully enough to securely grip the rifling with the card taking the force f the burning powder. We'll see when the weather improves......

Years ago I tried a .380 ball in my .40 (normally shoot a .395) with a much thicker patch and a reduced powder charge for smaller game. The accuracy was lousy. I gave up on that.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Because I wanted an easy to load for an out of the pouch match at my gun club, I chose a 0.526 ball and 0.010" cotton patch for my 1803 Harper's Ferry Rifle. Normally I shoot a 0.535" and 0.018" cotton drill patching. Bench rest accuracy was almost the same. The 0.010" patches were shredded, and the impact moved up slightly. Certainly not the results I expected. I expected the groups to open up. I guess that rifle just was so happy to out on the range that it didn't really care what the load configuration was. I did not test for long range (100 yards) shooting, but this competition was at shorter ranges.

Is that the kind of thinking that brought about these?
image.jpeg

Well I found loading 445 ball it prouved to hard even on a range & useless for a hunting load so I now use much smaller balls and don't believe the accuracy has been any worse for all practicle purposes . Much as all the ball loadings whatever caliber . & Ive been a round ball shooter since the early 60s.
Regards Rudyard

There is a very recent thread about a guy using .32 or a .36 (can't remember which) in a much bigger bore. Had good success with a combo of wad below patched ball and double patch on the ball or some such. He took a lot of b.s. from some people here (big surprise I know 🙄) as to why and how he couldn't possibly be actually having good results so the topic died.
If I can find it again I'll post a link.
Makes sense...should work???

I've tried things like that before with mixed results and haven't really done any serious testing. What you are essentially doing is putting your projectile inside a sabot made out of cloth. You should therefore get higher velocity with the same charge weight because of the lighter projectile. Accuracy may or may not improve. The only drawback I could see is using more patches than you would use with the standard ball sizes.

Something I haven't tried yet... at least I don't think I have... is a sub-caliber pistol bullet wearing a patch. I have tried paper-patching .358 LSWC bullets in my T/C Seneca in .36 caliber. This worked with the few bullets I made up, but I haven't really done extensive testing there either. Warm weather is coming!

I guess accuracy would suffer. In a pinch it would probably suffice at close range.
I've told the story before. I once went to a large match with my .45 cal. Douglas barreled "Half Breed" target rifle. Normally, I use .445" balls in it but have also used quite a few .457" to try to squeeze more accuracy from the rifle. However, this day, I found I had forgotten to pack any round balls for the event. The only balls I could find from the vendors was a box of Hornaday swaged .440". Not wanting to sit out the competition I bought them. They shot so well I won the 100 yard bench rest match. This was against heavy genuine bench rifles. I only used my normal ticking patching. Not too shabby. (BTW, the rifle only weighs 11 lb.)

I've tried things like that before with mixed results and haven't really done any serious testing. What you are essentially doing is putting your projectile inside a sabot made out of cloth. You should therefore get higher velocity with the same charge weight because of the lighter projectile. Accuracy may or may not improve. The only drawback I could see is using more patches than you would use with the standard ball sizes.

Something I haven't tried yet... at least I don't think I have... is a sub-caliber pistol bullet wearing a patch. I have tried paper-patching .358 LSWC bullets in my T/C Seneca in .36 caliber. This worked with the few bullets I made up, but I haven't really done extensive testing there either. Warm weather is coming!
Like the old accelerator round that was discontinued or made illegal??? Worked great in a 308...

Back