• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thread Tied Patched Round Balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found something of interest. This is a quote from Round Ball to Rimfire: A History of Civil War Small Arms Ammunition, Part One, by Dean S. Thomas (1997), p. 102:

"For common rifles, the ball is prepared by being enveloped in a square piece of fine muslin, or soft thin leather, or of bladder, tied over it and leaving a projecting end about 1/2" long, which, after being trimmed with scissors, and the whole saturated with tallow, is introduced into the paper cylinder which is choked over it and fastened by turns and a double hitch."

This was evidently taken from the 1849 Ordnance Manual, and is part of a section concerning paper cartridges. I thought the M1841 rifle was issued with a pouch and flask, for loading with loose powder and patched balls, but evidently paper cartridges with patched balls were sometimes used, as well.

These "Common" rifles, including the Mississippi, were nominally .54 caliber and used a .525" patched ball. I was curious regarding powder charges, and in reading through both Round Ball to Rimfire and Small Arms and Ammunition in the United States Service, by Berkeley Lewis, found that recommended powder charges were all over the place. The earlier rifles were to be charged with 100 grains of rifle powder, but these would have been flintlocks, and I suppose some of that powder charge may have been used for priming. I understand that powders were improved sometime early in the 19th century, and I found recommended powder charges of 60 grains, 68 grains (which is right at 2-1/2 drams), 70 grains, and 75 grains of rifle powder for these .54 caliber, round-ball rifles.

That's all academic, though, and possibly even irrelevant. The takeaway is the @ADK Bigfoot was not dreaming. Pre-patched round balls were used.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I found something of interest. This is a quote from Round Ball to Rimfire: A History of Civil War Small Arms Ammunition, Part One, by Dean S. Thomas (1997), p. 102:

"For common rifles, the ball is prepared by being enveloped in a square piece of fine muslin, or soft thin leather, or of bladder, tied over it and leaving a projecting end about 1/2" long, which, after being trimmed with scissors, and the whole saturated with tallow, is introduced into the paper cylinder which is choked over it and fastened by turns and a double hitch."

This was evidently taken from the 1849 Ordnance Manual, and is part of a section concerning paper cartridges. I thought the M1841 rifle was issued with a pouch and flask, for loading with loose powder and patched balls, but evidently paper cartridges with patched balls were sometimes used, as well.

These "Common" rifles, including the Mississippi, were nominally .54 caliber and used a .525" patched ball. I was curious regarding powder charges, and in reading through both Round Ball to Rimfire and Small Arms and Ammunition in the United States Service, by Berkeley Lewis, found that recommended powder charges were all over the place. The earlier rifles were to be charged with 100 grains of rifle powder, but these would have been flintlocks, and I suppose some of that powder charge may have been used for priming. I understand that powders were improved sometime early in the 19th century, and I found recommended powder charges of 60 grains, 68 grains (which is right at 2-1/2 drams), 70 grains, and 75 grains of rifle powder for these .54 caliber, round-ball rifles.

That's all academic, though, and possibly even irrelevant. The takeaway is the @ADK Bigfoot was not dreaming. Pre-patched round balls were used.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I envy you. I have Volume 4, which I have found to be pretty fascinating. Volume One has so far been unobtainable to me.

The video i saw ( don’t remember who) placed the ball in a predetermined square patch and sewed the four corners together with fine or single thread that was to break upon firing .

That settles it, I'm going looking for bladders. Example: "Hi, I'd like to envelope my balls in bladder."
Then they go in the shot pouch…

D5086A02-DD20-4186-BF7C-9F96AB7A6963.jpeg

Really an interesting 'thread'.

I always wondered how the Baker, 1803 HF, common rifle etc. patched ball rifle cartridges were prepared. This makes it very clear.

@ArmorerRoy when you load those, which side goes down? Very cool.
Tied side up. I Believe the rammer breaks the string when the ball is fully seated.

Do the balls and the patches separate upon firing?
Once shooting 'paper' patched roundballs, heavily patched for the 120-grain 1Fg load out of the 60" barrel 75-cal Club Butt musket, the target frame @ 25-yards was littered with the remnants of the paper casing all over the target face! Stuck right into the cardboard backer they were!

Latest posts

Back