• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question for the 36 caliber shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What diameter balls do you use and where do you get them? I have a 36 caliber barrel with a .350 bore and about a .360 groove. My thinking was that since my 45 uses a 440 ball, my 54 uses a 530 and my 58 uses a 570 ball I should get a 350 ball mold for the 36. This was before I measured the bore with pin gauges. The 350 with a .011 patch shot ok as a test fire once I got it beat down the barrel. What I need is a 340 mold and haven't found one. I have a 323 mold that might work and 00 buckshot is 330.
The barrel has all the attributes of a Douglas but it's unmarked. It's a 48" twist which Douglas made for Golden Age Arms and Dixie Gun Works back in the 70's plus the bore is off center like the Douglas barrels were. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Crisco

I use .345 balls with a .015 patch in my 1843 Penebaker rifle which I believe is a .35 caliber. I tried .350 balls, but even with a .005 patch it was hard to seat the ball.

I haven't found a .340 mold yet. The barrel is a freebie in excellent condition and it never occurred to me to accurately measure the bore and then check mold availability. Sometimes free gets expensive! I'll cone the muzzle today with one of Joe Wood's tools. If I can get a .350 ball and thin patch started after that it may work out. If not I'll try 00 buck.
The other question I have is who made a 13/16" octagonal barrel with a 48" twist and a .350 bore? Could it be for some black powder rifle or pistol cartridge?

Last edited:
I haven't found a .340 mold yet. The barrel is a freebie in excellent condition and it never occurred to me to accurately measure the bore and then check mold availability. Sometimes free gets expensive! I'll cone the muzzle today with one of Joe Wood's tools. If I can get a .350 ball and thin patch started after that it may work out. If not I'll try 00 buck.
The other question I have is who made a 13/16" octagonal barrel with a 48" twist and a .350 bore? Could it be for some black powder rifle or pistol cartridge?
You can get any size mold you may need from Tanner molds. They are based out of England, but their prices are reasonable.

I would use a .340 ball and try a .015 patch.

Like @Grimord mentioned, Tanner moulds, aka ballmoulds.com, make excellent quality molds to any diameter you can come up with.

Looks like a .340 mold from tanners would be ~$43.xx plus shipping.

Last edited:
I use .350 balls that I cast, .022 thk. pillow ticking, balistol/water mixed to the consistency of spit for the range, mink oil for hunting. This is such a small diameter that a short starter gets it going with very little effort, once in the tube it glides down for seating, again, with very little effort. Very accurate.
I'd work with what you got before I started spending money. Good luck!!!!! Working up a load is just part of the fun!!
Robin

Lyman used to make .345 molds. You might find one from flea bay. I use one on an old Numrich ".36" barrel. I believe they were made from 357 barrel blanks and then rifled. They were undersized from standard 36 barrels. It may be what you have.
Barry
I think you're right. I think it was probably made by Douglas for either Numrich or Dixie. Douglas would make barrels on special order for companies if they would order enough of them. I have 2 Douglas barrels from Golden Age Arms. What ever it is it seems to work. This is todays results at the range with a .321 ball and .018 patch. I've located some Hornady 00 buck locally and I'll give it a try. Reading from Hornady's web page they are hardened with antimony so I don't know how that will work.

IMG_6752.JPG

Lee will make a round ball mould to order, so contact them if you can't find what you want. I got two made for my .69 musket and a friend;s, years ago, so i know they will do it. Obviously you should try to test with factory-made .340s before you pay for a custom mould.

"The barrel has all the attributes of a Douglas but it's unmarked. It's a 48" twist which Douglas made for Golden Age Arms and Dixie Gun Works back in the 70's plus the bore is off center like the Douglas barrels were. Any thoughts will be appreciated."
I have a .36 cal. flint Southern Mountain Rifle with a Douglas barrel, it's marked. Mine shoots a .353 ball better than a .350 and without difficult loading.

Today I shot two .36 percussion rifles. I tried a .353 in each and ended up deforming the ball in both cases. I went back to .350 Hornady which work great. One of these guns has a Green Mountain barrel the other is unknown.

I have a Green Mountain .50 barreled gun that likes a .500 ball, go figure. While I'm at it I have a Green Mountain that takes a .451 ball. It's a snug load but not unreasonable. I use a .445 in this gun when hunting.

I'd be interested to know what ends up working for you with your .36.

Latest posts

Back