• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CUT AT THE MUZZLE, ROUND OR SQUARE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatcreek

40 Cal
Reaction score
Made a post the other day about loading with square patches and got a bunch of pats on the back for the target I posted, which I appreciate, but that wasn't what I was after. I decided to try some square patches, because cutting at the muzzle ( which I had thought was the best, involved another tool and more steps). Went out back to see if square would work and to my surprise I shot the best target I ever shot with that gun. ( 40 cal Tenn Mt) I thought the square patches with corners and not being concentric like cut at the muzzle would throw the ball off. I shot 11 shots and they were probably the 11 best shots I ever shot with the rifle. Not posting the targets because I have a stick with a hand on it and I can pat myself on the back. What I would like to know is what experience others have had with different shape or cut patches. I know 11 shot isn't conclusive, but for the near future I will be using square.
Thanks Phil

I've always shot round patches. Last year I had a new rifle, and I began to experiment with cutting patches at the muzzle just out of curiosity. When I picked up my fired patches to examine, I was surprised to see that they were almost square. Seems counter intuitive. I just assumed they'd be round like a pre-cut patch. Anyway, I didn't see any difference in performance between precut and cut-at-the-muzzle patches.

I make my own from ticking, it's just easier to cut, less time, less waste. I used to pre-cut a roll so I could just tear when I popped the short starter. Then I said to myself "dummy, just cut them all the way through". Less fuss.

I use both round cut patches and strips of material that I cut at the muzzle. Either work fine for me. I cut my lubed patches with a cutter that I made that will cut round patches of different sizes. I keep them in 35mm film containers. The strips I lube with Mr. Flintlock's lube and roll the strips up and keep them in prescription containers.
P1030854.JPG

I guess it makes no difference until it does. Personally have found that as long as the patch isn’t so large it wants snag the ramrod tip when loading, or too small to cover the ball, patch material thickness, tightness of its weave and patch lube will influence accuracy. But not how the patch was cut.

I wonder if the type of powder measure used influences accuracy?

ZUG, are those hole boring bits with teeth ground off and sharpened to use on a drill press? What size hole cutters fit what size patch for what caliber of round ball? Those at Ace seemed pricey and not sure if Harbor Freight's quality worth the money. Would square patches in a bullet loading block collect more dirt and grit?

Back