• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uncle Jed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use your remote and find a Beverly Hillbillies re-run and let us all know! (I can't remember!!!)

Vic

So what kinda gun was ole Jed Clampett using when he struck Black Gold, Texas tea

I thought is was a Poor Boy flintlock...
I'd say a .40 caliber to boot...

I do remember ol' Granny prefered the leaver action rifles... :winking:

Like all the women in my hillbilly bunch, Granny was a shotgun toter. 12 gauge loaded with ice cream salt.

Excellent for keeping varmits out of the yard and theives out of the melon patch.

10099193.jpg

In this picture, Granny sports a double barreled shotgun (12 gauge) while Jed holds a muzzleloader, Jethro has (what looks like) a Henery Rifle...

Homeland Security! LOL. That is a great photo. I would pay $10. for that in a large poster!
Looks like Ellie is ready for action. I'de say she is well armed with a sassafras fork and tire inner tube sling, and probably has smooth river pebbles for ammunition. Look out Goliath!
I have my great grandfather's sassafras slingshot. I'm told he used to sit on the porch and shoot marbles at stray dogs. The old folks say he was deadly with it.
Unfortunately, I can't make out Jed's gun, but the bore looks a bit bigger than .40 I would say more like .50

My father, Carroll Deaton, and my grandfather, George Washington Deaton, both used slingshots, but they were the kind that have two long cords and a leather pocket. You put a good smooth river rock in the leather sling and swung it around in circles and then launched it. I am still impressed with the force, distance and accuracy they were capable of. I have always thought that this is what David used on Goliath.

I still think the rifle that JED used was a flint lock...

If he be a Poor Mountaineer barely kept his family fed

An' then one day, he was shootin' at some food

If he was that poor, then percussion caps were not the way to go...

A flint can be re-used, percussion caps are a one time use item, there is where the expence comes in...

One can find a sparking rock almost anywhere in this country, even an old flint arrowhead can be broken up and used in a flintlock...

This is why I feel Jed Clampett used a flinter... :winking: :haha:

Not necessarily Musketman....afore they outlawed strike anywhere matches one could carefully snip off the match head and use it to fire a persuckshun riflegun....been there .....dun thet.

I hate to say it,,, but Jed must of been a poor shot. There weren't any dead critter's on the ground by the "bubblin' crude"..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

He did miss the rabbit he was a shootin', and the rest was history... :haha:

What if he got the rabbit, and the round ball lost enough energy to not find the oil reserve after passing through the critter?

What then?

I wonder if we can "re-create" the famous shot that Jed Clampett made, launching him into the annals of history...

Can we calculate the diatance and load needed to plunge a roundball deep enough to strike oil, black gold, Texas tea...

Sounds like a fun shoot...

I like the idea, musketman. I sure wouldn't turn down a barrel of "black gold, Texas tea." :) Where was Jed from?

Although it's never mentioned, it's assumed the Clampets were from the Ozarks.

Jed sold his land to the OK Oil Company for $25 Million. Cousin Pearl convinced Jed he should move his family to Beverly Hills.

Show Theme: PLAY

Show ending: PLAY

I thought they were from the smokies, Tennesee, they even knew the folks down in hooterville, some kinda kin somehow.

Back