• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti "Colt's"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I often hear that Uberti's "Colt's" have a short arbor. It seems if it were too short the cylinder wouldn't turn, that it would bind. So what is the issue with the arbor length?

Is this a problem with all of their various models?

I'm also curious if there is any reason an 1848 Baby Dragoon trigger guard couldn't be swapped on an 1862 Police. It is built from the same frame correct?

In essence could a .31 caliber barrel and cylinder be attached and used on that frame?

What is it your calling the "arbor"?
The base pin, that the cylinder slides over?

I have the Uberti 1851 and have no cylinder fitting or rotation issues at all,
I've not neeed to make any adjustments, everything has worked fine as it comes from the factory,, :idunno:

That's what I gather (arbor). I've read several threads in which it is said that Uberti's "Colt" arbors are too short, otherwise a good pistol.

But it seems were it too short the cylinder would be in a bind.

This is one of the very few things the Pietta has over the Uberti. One way to see if a Uberti has a short arbor is to put the barrel on sideways with the loading lever 90 degrees from the frame. Push the barrel toward the cylinder. If the arbor is the correct length the back of the barrel will not touch the cylinder and it will still rotate. You should be able to rotate the barrel until the frame pins stops it. If the arbor is short the barrel forcing cone end will bind the cylinder.

Not all Ubertis are like this though. I've seen persons fill in the space in the barrel hole with JB weld. Older Piettas have short arbors. Not sure when Pietta got it right, but two I had in the 80's were short.

Bob

"if your calling the base pin the arbor- the wedge wouldn't go in."

This is the way I understood it, as well as the way I see it. So I had to ask.

I really need a .36 cal pistol and have been tossing the idea of a '62 Police and eventually getting a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2" barrel assembly, another hammer to modify, and a Baby Dragoon trigger guard, or a '51/'61 "Colt" Navy or '58 "Rem" Navy.

I already need a .44 "Remington" and so kinda wanted something else, but it seems the others have many typical problems to overcome.

Back