• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are the bottom of some Uberti grip frames (Colt Dragoon) not parallel to the barrel? (and can this be fixed?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been looking at getting a Colt Dragoon reproduction and all the photos I see (stock Uberti images as well as listings on gunbroker for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Models) all show the bottoms of the grip frame as having a backwards sweep to it (measures a consistent 2.5 degrees across all three models of Dragoon; it is NOT present on Uberti Walker or the Whitneyville Dragoon).
View attachment 251988
So I guess this must be something to do with the specific brass frames used on the Dragoon repros?
I'd really like to try to fix this without too much bother (but I don't know if that's possible). Any ideas?
I believe must anything can be fixed if you have the time, patience, tools, money and determination! The “without too much bother” is another story. I never seen a brass framed Dragoon so I will not opine on that, the two of mine and the rest I have seen are steel framed.

I just had to haul mine out and see for myself whether that was the case:
IMG_3752.JPG

... and quite honestly, the offset from perfectly parallel has got to be so little that anybody who actually sees it is looking at my gun way too close.

Trying to fix this condition is probably more trouble than it is worth. Besides there could be other details such as trigger pull, action tuning, or the famous short arbor that may be of more importance to you.

But I do agree, Engineers' do incorporate ideas on occasion that make you wonder if they have a bottle under the desk. I give you credit, you are very observant to point that out.

Last edited:
I just had to haul mine out and see for myself whether that was the case:
View attachment 252356
... and quite honestly, the offset from perfectly parallel has got to be so little that anybody who actually sees it is looking at my gun way too close.

That looks more like an ASM. The op mentioned only Uberti's since he probably wants a new one (maybe yours is an ancient Uberti?).

I checked the 2nd Gen Dragoons I have in the shop and they appear parallel. It may just be Uberti's and I had noticed that before but it isn't bothersome to me personally. Of course I checked my Whitneyville and it is parallel . . .

Mike

Mike

Last edited:
I just duck-duck-go'd (I don't google) a screen full of images of 'original colt dragoon', and the originals have a definite slant. Use your own preferred search engine and take a look.
Interestingly, the 2nd Gen ones don't appear to slant.

Back