• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are the bottom of some Uberti grip frames (Colt Dragoon) not parallel to the barrel? (and can this be fixed?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

32 Cal
Reaction score
Have been looking at getting a Colt Dragoon reproduction and all the photos I see (stock Uberti images as well as listings on gunbroker for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Models) all show the bottoms of the grip frame as having a backwards sweep to it (measures a consistent 2.5 degrees across all three models of Dragoon; it is NOT present on Uberti Walker or the Whitneyville Dragoon).
1694372467898.png
So I guess this must be something to do with the specific brass frames used on the Dragoon repros?
I'd really like to try to fix this without too much bother (but I don't know if that's possible). Any ideas?

Have been looking at getting a Colt Dragoon reproduction and all the photos I see (stock Uberti images as well as listings on gunbroker for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Models) all show the bottoms of the grip frame as having a backwards sweep to it (measures a consistent 2.5 degrees across all three models of Dragoon; it is NOT present on Uberti Walker or the Whitneyville Dragoon).
View attachment 251988
So I guess this must be something to do with the specific brass frames used on the Dragoon repros?
I'd really like to try to fix this without too much bother (but I don't know if that's possible). Any ideas?
I guess I don't see why it would matter functionally but if it bugs you then that's reason enough to change it as I would. Have you considered some radius-ing of the grip heel and toe that would break up the out of parallel lines accentuated by the sharp angled corners ?

I’ve noticed it as well but not on Dragoons. I believe some repro 1851’s and 1860’s. To my eyes it’s bothersome, like the flare on the rear of the grip frame of some repros (bell shape) Others will (as already seen) mock you for caring, but I agree with you completely. It’s just a bit off aesthetically and that matters to some of us.

That 2.5 degrees is a lot of real estate when it comes to a large hand gripping the pistol.

It can make the difference between the small finger feeling secure or feeling like it wants to fall off the grip.

View attachment 251988
Your center line isn't centered in the barrel, does this make the whole illustration questionable?

Well if so, ie the grip frame being off 2.5*, I've never noticed or paid attention to it and no going to worry about it. I can go from shooting a Dragoon to a 51' to a Army '60, back to a Dragoon, to a Walker with no deviation in how I hit my target. In fact I can go from any 1800 era revolver to shooting modern single action, double action, semi-auto and back again and have no need of doing any break in rounds to hit my target. They have a different feel, but I automatically adjust for sight or point shooting. Some of you guys get to hung up on things that have no relevance for what you are worrying about. I suppose this will be one of those 15-23-page threads with some 125 posts that have no real significance and low and behold, two months from now, someone will post a similar thread starting the non-issue subject all over again. No offense ExMachina but IMO you're worrying about an issue that is of no consequence.

IMG_1008.png
So, better to potentially chase a new member off (joined that day I believe) with insults then choose to ignore it if it annoys you? I for one have noticed the same thing with repro’s and it does bother me. I notice picture frames not level and proofreading errors too. I Googled images of originals and reproductions to compare. I searched for people asking the same questions and admittedly few if any asked. That shouldn’t mean a person doesn’t have a right to ask and not be denigrated. He didn’t mention it affects shootability BTW.

By all means, continue with the cranky old guy routine if you must but maybe reserve it for those who truly deserve it and don’t chase people away from our already dying hobby.

View attachment 251988
What's the problem with it? Are the originals parallel?

As with many items in this world, asymmetry is much more visually appealing than everything running along the same plane. AKA Boring.

Odd numbers of items look better than even numbers of items.

Three ramrod pipes look better than four pipes.

View attachment 252204
So, better to potentially chase a new member off (joined that day I believe) with insults then choose to ignore it if it annoys you? I for one have noticed the same thing with repro’s and it does bother me. I notice picture frames not level and proofreading errors too. I Googled images of originals and reproductions to compare. I searched for people asking the same questions and admittedly few if any asked. That shouldn’t mean a person doesn’t have a right to ask and not be denigrated. He didn’t mention it affects shootability BTW.

By all means, continue with the cranky old guy routine if you must but maybe reserve it for those who truly deserve it and don’t chase people away from our already dying hobby.

No intention of being insulting or chasing off new members, in fact never looked at when he joined or his post count. In other words what you're saying is that no matter what someone posts all members of the forum are supposed to agree with an OP? That 2.5% angle is the first I've ever heard or seen any concern about it and IMO is a non-issue. Shoot em and enjoy em. Anyway, Hey ExMachina-welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back