• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NGD: Colt Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New Gun Day

Uberti Colt 1848 Dragoon, third model, from MidwayUSA, for $450, arrived today (bottom):

dragoon.JPG

Comparing it to my Colt 1860 (top), it's little longer and a LOT heavier. Note the stout cylinder and the stout barrel, which is actually a little shorter than the 1860. Probably a good thing, since it's a tad nose heavy. And yes, its arbor is a bit short, about to the same degree as my 1860. Easily remedied. Function seems OK, buts it's a lot stiffer and "scratchier" than my 1860 was, and so it's going to need some serious internal polishing. I have some Slixshot nipples on the way for both guns, so will probably defer first range shooting until they arrive and get installed, and the prep work is done.

Another interesting difference noted upon disassembly: the hand on my 1860 bore some serious rough grinding down on the side that rubs against the arbor (which I smoothed out), but my 1848's hand was untouched, and to my surprise I saw that the arbor had been flattened where the hand would have rubbed against it.

That bit of clearance on the arbor is a big help with the hand's function. Uberti seems to have eliminated that feature on some of the newer guns. The hand doesn't need to be contacting the arbor while trying to do it's job of advancing the cylinder.

Wiscoaster,
I have a new-to-me dragoon too, they're quite a handful, aren't they?!
I haven't shot it yet, but, yes, by golly, I hope so!!

Today I had a chance to take a look at and handle an 1862 Police in .36 cal, and my first thought was " boy!! this thing is so tiny!!" ... and then my next thought came right along with that all-too familiar feeling of "oh, no, I gotta get me one of these!!"

Last edited:
I have not shot mine yet either. However, I love the feel and it seems to do everything well, so we will see. Yes, she's a handful, especially for an old geezer. Dale

The nice thing about a Dragoon is it still has that familiar "Colt" feel to it, even as big as they are. The Walker, however feels a bit different.

The nice thing about a Dragoon is it still has that familiar "Colt" feel to it, even as big as they are. The Walker, however feels a bit different.

I have to admit that once I got a Dragoon I realized it was what I really wanted when I had previously gotten a Walker. In other words, the Walker is just too much gun. The Dragoon on the other hand seems “just right” for a “Horse pistol”. 50 grains out of the Dragoon is a literal blast. 35 grains behind a conical. The little 1862 Police however is my favorite, followed closely by an 1861 Navy.

Funny you say that about the Police model. My little 48 Colt .31 is kind of my favorite too.
The 51 Colt and 58 Rem 36s are just so accurate, but the 31 is a challenge to hit something every time.
As I read somewhere, the broad side of the barn is safe from that pistol.

Latest posts

Back