• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropriate cylinder gap for Colt revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm only sensitive when folks tell me I can't do what I've already been doing for a year.
OK, fair enough, but when it doesn't help the OP, who came looking for a direct answer to a simple question, maybe you could reign it in a bit and only answer the question, instead of elaborating on your bona fides and arguing with other forum members about their validity. Those postings don't help the OP in the least.

Just remember: you drive away a new forum member and you lose a potential future customer for your services.

Last edited:
Umm, I believe I was helping Dude understand the steps of fitting a spacer. I knew he wasn't the op but he ask, so I tried to help . . . isn't that what the forums are about? There are a LOT of different things that concern or affect most single topics when it has to do with SA revolvers.
Of course it's human nature to defend one's methods particularly when there is evidence they work, try and teach folks things so they don't spend years doing it wrong rather than learning as much as they can to do it right. I think it's best to pass on information so new folks don't have to start at square 1. They make fewer mistakes . . . Wouldn't you rather jump ahead as opposed to crawling along at a snails pace?
I wish I new at 20 something what I LEARNED 12/13 years ago (I'll be 66 in a few days!). Thanks to Jim Martin for teaching me how to tune the Colt action. It brought many new ideas, a lot of them I introduced with my service . . .
You can choose to take it or leave it . . . just don't tell a man he's lying when he's proven what he's talking about . . .

Mike

. . . . just don't tell a man he's lying when he's proven what he's talking about . . .

Mike
Nobody accused you of lying. Just of talking about what wasn't appropriate to helping the OP. Thereby wasting his time and everyone else's. Everybody knows that you know what you're talking about. I just suggest making it, and your arguments with your fellow forum members, more relevant to the thread topic.

I'm not a "sixty day wonder" - I've been posting on various SIGs, BBSes, and forums, including being moderator, administrator, owner and operator, since CompuServe in the mid 1980s. I probably have over those years something in excess of 150K posts. I may be new here, but I'm not new. Please do not belittle my social media posting experience. I think I've earned the right to call 'em as I see 'em.

You, also, have the right to call 'em as you see 'em, and all are entirely free to disagree with all others.

I'm just saying: how is that helping?

Last edited:
Nobody accused you of lying. Just of talking about what wasn't appropriate to helping the OP. Thereby wasting his time and everyone else's. Everybody knows that you know what you're talking about. I just suggest making it, and your arguments with your fellow forum members, more relevant to the thread topic.

I'm not a "sixty day wonder" - I've been posting on various SIGs, BBSes, and forums, including being moderator, administrator, owner and operator, since CompuServe in the mid 1980s. I probably have over those years something in excess of 150K posts. I may be new here, but I'm not new. Please do not belittle my social media posting experience. I think I've earned the right to call 'em as I see 'em.

You are entirely free to disagree.

Holy Cow!!!! Didn't see that coming!!!! Actually, I don't have a clue what you're talking about.
If it has anything to do with "newbie", I'm pretty sure you described yourself as a bp newbie.
my mistake.

Mike

Sixty-day wonder newbie telling 45D how to behave. I’ve read everything now.

You, also, have the right to call 'em as you see 'em, and all are entirely free to disagree with all others.

I'm just saying: how is that helping?
You are very much new here. And your previous post and building techniques show a lack of traditional muzzleloading experience. Now you seem to enjoy being an agitator. Not sure what your trying to accomplish on this forum.

You are very much new here. And your previous post and building techniques show a lack of traditional muzzleloading experience. Now you seem to enjoy being an agitator. Not sure what your trying to accomplish on this forum.
Well hells bells TDM, you, me and every one here was new at one time, who gives a rat's hind end when you came on board the point is your here and adding to the conversation !

Well hells bells TDM, you, me and every one here was new at one time, who gives a rat's hind end when you came on board the point is your here and adding to the conversation ! Do we have a seniority system going here where longevity gives you more right to speak your mind than a new comer ?
After folks here you out for a few times they quickly will sort out for themselves wither or not your worth listening to !

... a lack of traditional muzzleloading experience....
Yes, but you seem to assume my lack of experience in your particular area of expertise trumps my First Amendment right to free speech?

I have the right to say whatever I want, whether it's relevant and informed from expertise and experience to the topic at hand or or not, limited only by the forum's rules against personal character derogation.

And you might review the posts of all particpants involved to make a more informed judgment regarding "agitation".

That decision can be made on a number of members here.
Exactly, were all in the same boat where new comers to the site have just as much right to say what they think as old timers that tend to think what they have to contribute is some how more significant because of longevity rather then content. Your little dig is duely noted but of minor concern.
So tell us what your opinion of appropriate barrel cylinder gap is and why you think so.

@TDM is one of the most helpful members here. He does not drive any useful member away.
Here's a novel idea, how about letting the site participants decide who is a "useful" member by commenting or ignoring them ! Other than profanity or out right hate speech requiring moderation intervention it seems that gun people tend to be rather self regulating and will eventually get back around to the original topic after taking a few pokes at one another .

Last edited:
Here's a novel idea, how about letting the site participants decide who is a "useful" member by commenting or ignoring them !
This comment just confirms me in my opinion this is the clubbiest and cliquiest forum I've ever been on, and that's the sole reason I've delayed becoming a contributing member.

@TDM is one of the most helpful members here. He does not drive any useful member away.
It was an inclusive "you", not specifically directed at @TDM and I agree with that observation (at least up to this thread, anyway).

There are severe thunderstorms wandering the local area, and I'm shutting down for the night, hopefully my computer doesn't get fried by a lightning strike.

Back