• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Iron Pennsylvania?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been reading and researching trying to make a decision on a flintlock for primarily Deer hunting and target practice. I was interested in a 20ga smootbore but that is on the back burner for now. I'm borrowing (for years) a TC Hawken that is accurate with a prb but Im left wanting something that is "mine". I'm fairly new to blackpowder, and only went hunting about 10 times with a flintlock (over 20 years bow and rifle), but it has struck a nerve in me.

The TVM Iron Pennsylvania has caught my eye. If I was to order one I would want it to have a 38-42 inch swamped barrel B profile in .50 cal. Deluxe chambers siler lock, ++ maple finished red, aged steel, lighting touch hole liner, sling. I understand what TVM is and the niche they have filled in the market, Im not into reinacting (maybe someday) more into hunting and shooting. I do cover a lot of ground while hunting on some days in the eastern Mountains of PA. Weight and balance of a rifle is important to me. I realize this gun would run me around 1800$ And take 6-8 months.

On the other hand the Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 with a peep sight seems like it would speak to me. The price would be less than half, and I can pick one up easily. I have heard good things about them but I have not handled one so I'm not sure of the balance, heft and off hand shoot-ability. I also have the luxury of living an hour from Dixons gun shop so I can go and handle a bunch of guns and load up on supplies if needed. I still think I am leaning to the TVM.

Anyone have Opinions or thoughts? Thanks

You could probably have a custom gun built for very close to that price. In addition most builders will put together a chambers kit for about 1000 bucks and the kit will run you around 900 depending on the gun. TVM makes sense at the 1000 to 1400 price point but in my opinion once you get over 1400 not worth it.

Pa-brushbuster71 said:
I have been reading and researching trying to make a decision on a flintlock for primarily Deer hunting and target practice. I was interested in a 20ga smootbore but that is on the back burner for now. I'm borrowing (for years) a TC Hawken that is accurate with a prb but Im left wanting something that is "mine". I'm fairly new to blackpowder, and only went hunting about 10 times with a flintlock (over 20 years bow and rifle), but it has struck a nerve in me.

The TVM Iron Pennsylvania has caught my eye. If I was to order one I would want it to have a 38-42 inch swamped barrel B profile in .50 cal. Deluxe chambers siler lock, ++ maple finished red, aged steel, lighting touch hole liner, sling. I understand what TVM is and the niche they have filled in the market, Im not into reinacting (maybe someday) more into hunting and shooting. I do cover a lot of ground while hunting on some days in the eastern Mountains of PA. Weight and balance of a rifle is important to me. I realize this gun would run me around 1800$ And take 6-8 months.

On the other hand the Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 with a peep sight seems like it would speak to me. The price would be less than half, and I can pick one up easily. I have heard good things about them but I have not handled one so I'm not sure of the balance, heft and off hand shoot-ability. I also have the luxury of living an hour from Dixons gun shop so I can go and handle a bunch of guns and load up on supplies if needed. I still think I am leaning to the TVM.

Anyone have Opinions or thoughts? Thanks

Do it. First gun should fit yer needs close as possible vs impulse buy and one yer just sorta partial to.

If you are looking for an historically correct (or close) Lancaster rifle, stay away from the iron mountings. Brass mountings were the norm until well after the Rev War with the exception of some of the southern guns that were well away from British centers. It was illegal to manufacture iron mountings because the Brits wanted America to supply the raw materials and then buy the products from them. Once you got out by the Virginia/Carolinas frontier you would find some examples of locally built iron-mounted rifles but they were significantly different than the Lancaster style.

If you are NOT worried about an historically correct rifle, I think that TVM's example of an iron-mounted version of a Lancaster rifle is a really nice looking rifle. And TVM has a good reputation of making reliably shooting rifles. I would like to see what they did with the patchbox though. I was a little disappointed that the picture of the left-hand one they have on their site doesn't show the patch box.

Reason I caution about being sure you know what you want it for is that I made the mistake of buying a rifle that was reputed to be appropriate for Rev War reenactments and it was really a much later "Golden Age"-type rifle and not appropriate at all. I still used it for reenactments but was never really happy doing so. Was a good shooter though and if I was only going to use if for plinking and hunting I would have been happy with it. Years later I was able to buy an historically correct Early Lancaster rifle that was exactly what I was looking for and I have been very happy with it. It is also an excellent shooter.

So just be sure you are clear what you are looking for and what uses you want it for before "pulling the trigger".

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

Lymans GPR 54 is a great shooter and packs a lot of power for knocking down deer.
You should play with one at the gun shop. They are a bit heavy but that's expected in a Bison gun.
Keep an eye on the classifieds if you like them. I just don't like shipping or receiving guns in the bitter cold.

Understood. I was jest informing you that for right around 2000 you could buy a chambers kit and have an experienced/reputable builder make the rifle for you. You'd have much better/nicer rifle for just slightly more.

54 is the way to go for the Lyman gpr. I own one and love it. A bit heavy, but I've stalk hunted all day with it no problems. Lyman trade rifle is a few inches shorter and less expensive too.

I also have a TVM but it's a kit from them. A 7/8ths straight barreled gun 36" in 50 cal would be fine, mines a 13/16ths 36" 45. 42 was too nose heavy, so I chopped it to 36 myself. Straight wall isn't too bad if the barrel isnt too thick or too long. That's where TVM shines in bang for the buck. Otherwise you live in PA plenty of places and local builders and enthusiasts. I'm glad to live close to pa myself. You could easily find a good used one on here too.

Ames said:
Lymans GPR 54 is a great shooter and packs a lot of power for knocking down deer.

I have the Great Plains Rifle, in .54 caliber. I got the one assembled by the company and fit and finish is excellent. While I have not yet drawn blood with mine, I can say that it is a good shooter. I load 70 grains of 3f and a .530 ball. Keep yer powder dry.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
shotgunner87 said:
You could probably have a custom gun built for very close to that price. In addition most builders will put together a chambers kit for about 1000 bucks and the kit will run you around 900 depending on the gun. TVM makes sense at the 1000 to 1400 price point but in my opinion once you get over 1400 not worth it. [/quot]

ApprenticeBuilder said:
shotgunner87 said:
You could probably have a custom gun built for very close to that price. In addition most builders will put together a chambers kit for about 1000 bucks and the kit will run you around 900 depending on the gun. TVM makes sense at the 1000 to 1400 price point but in my opinion once you get over 1400 not worth it. [/quot]

Don't know how that made a mess, was supposed to be a thumbs up for the quote, this is the best analogy that I've read yet on TVM's gear

I know you want an iron mounted gun. If you are concerned about the shiny brass, put those concerns away. The brass very quickly takes on a mellow patina that looks very nice against the reddish maple stock.

Brass is the historically correct choice. It really looks good on your rifle. If you decide to go into reenactment, you won't have any regrets about your purchase.

It only takes about two trips to the range and wiping the brass with a fouled patch to take the shine out.

My apologies, I understand what you mean now. Can anyone recommend a builder to put together a chambers kit, if that's the route I decide to take? I'm not forking over any money or deciding yet, probably by spring I will decide.

Pa-brushbuster71 said:
The TVM Iron Pennsylvania has caught my eye.

On the other hand the Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 with a peep sight seems like it would speak to me.
Interesting choices and sort of close to where I am, less I am having a flint left-handed custom B-weight 50-cal swamped longrifle being built right now. And in the meantime, my hunting rifle is a Lyman GPR flint in 54-cal, also left-handed. To me it handles great!

If I were faced with your budget, to be honest I'd get both! Call Tip Curtis at his shop in TN and you can get a nice longrifle built in the white, finish it yourself and with the left-over $$, buy a Lyman GPR. I only paid $400 for mine, a lefty, in mint condition.

I have a TVM Tennessee Iron Poor Boy ( us poor 1801 poor Tennessee folk can't afford all that brass) on order after the high recommendations. Only problem, I have another 9 months to wait.
So for now, I have a Lyman trade percussion I use. Either rifle would suit you fine, and like you mentioned, the GPR would be allot quicker to your hands.

Having had quite a bit of good experience with TVM I can assure you you get to choose lop, any barrel you want and if it's a straight barrel you can have it from 36" to at least 42" or more. Also any lock you choose and trigger. Just me, but if I wanted iron I'd get their Southern Mountain Rifle. You can get it as a "poor boy" (I like those) or with the works. Unless you insist on a copy (more or less) of a surviving gun then any gun you have built will be that builder's "version" of a period gun. Tip Curtis is also well respected or you can get a nice Jim Kibler kit and have a builder finish it. There are also the classified adds that often list fine used guns at a bargain cost.

Dixons has scads of Lymans on the rack, so go and fondle some of them. My feeling has always been that if you are relatively new to muzzleloading to go with something like the Lyman. They are a great hunting gun and do well at the monthly shoots held by many BP clubs. If you spend some time shooting at the clubs and conversing with fellow BP shooters, your opinion concerning the exact type of custom rifle you want may change a little. A custom gun is a pretty big investment (at least for me) so getting your feet wet with a production gun like the GPR is something to consider. Eventually you will wind up with more than one gun anyway!

I have heard that before. More than on gun. I bought my Trade rifle and figured that was it. Then I listen to you guys here and you make me do bad things, " get a flintlock Joe, you'll never look back" at least in my wife's eyes. Now I have the Poor Boy on order and will have to sneak it in the house. " Oh yes honey, I've had that for years" thing.

If I were faced with your budget, to be honest I'd get both! Call Tip Curtis at his shop in TN and you can get a nice longrifle built in the white, finish it yourself and with the left-over $$, buy a Lyman GPR. I only paid $400 for mine, a lefty, in mint condition.[/quote]

:metoo: well almost...my lefty GPR was close to mint but I paid $375.00 GB has deals if you watch regularly.

Back