• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TVM Iron Pennsylvania?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an iron Lancaster (PA? or whatever) on order. I don't care if it's not PC, and I'll never ever re-enact. I like iron. Mine will have a 42" swamped barrel and be in .50 caliber.

It will make me happy and that's more important to me than pleasing someone else. Were I willing to be judged by strangers, I'd probably go brass.

This is where my thought process is, I'm probably never going to reinact. If I decide to one day, I would be PC. I'm not one to care much wether brass or iron is correct. I prefer simple guns with nice wood, minimal extras. I think I'm going to handle a GPR in .54 at Dixons, then decide.

To the OP I have no personal experience with TVM but you noted wanting a swamped barrel and some other extras bringing the price up to 1800 bucks. If you want iron by all means get iron just wanted you to know that for 1800 you could have a nicer gun or possibly a gun in comparable quality for less money. If you contact chambers he can recommend a builder or like the other guys suggested look at tip Curtis and get a gun in the white. Gun is assembled and shootable just need to put the finish on it.

I can suggest that you handle some rifles and purchase one that fits your body style best. I have stopped at Tip Curtis shop a few times and he always has quite a few ready to go and some rifles fit much better than others. I have also bought a couple of used rifles (one over the internet) and have been lucky that they fit me well also. Good luck with your search. Greg. :)

You might want to head to Lewisburg for the 18th Century Artisan Fair being held tomorrow and Saturday (Feb 3/4). You'll be able to see and handle tons of long rifles and talk to builders galore. :)

I'll be at the Lewisburg Fair looking for tang sights fitting a Jaeger. Should be fun, and I'm in a spending mood for a new rifle. Great place to compare and get ideas. Catalogs and the ineternet are great, but handling/comparing something like a TVM iron to something else is a very good idea.

Guys after three years and life getting in the way, I finally ordered my TVM Iron PA.

I went with a 38” swamped B Weight .50
deluxe maple finished with red stain
deluxe Siler lock
double set triggers
Aged steel finish
Custom Lop for my short arms

Needless to say I’m very excited. I have lots of opportunities to hunt with a flintlock in my area of Eastern PA, with our extended seasons and only 30-35 min drive to hunt thousands of public acres in North Jersey which offers added days in the woods.

Congratulations, PA Brushbuster

I have owned seven TVMs. Damn the nay-sayers. They make a fine rifle or smoothbore. They stand by their work. They produce quality, shootable, huntable, and dependable guns. They have never presented themselves as builders of HC or PC guns. They honestly represent what they build and sell.

I have won hundreds of shooting matches with the first TVM I ever bought. I have taken deer with a few others. I am awaiting the arrival of my "last" flintlock this week. (Don't anyone hold me to that.) It is a .54 Southern, built to my exact specifications and I expect it to be an exceptional hunting rifle. Where can you find a .54 caliber, 44" C-weight swamped barreled left handed Southern in walnut and fit exactly to my measurements? TVM, that's where.

Best of wishes with your new rifle. I didn't say "good luck", because you won't need any. You are in good hands.

ADK Bigfoot

Congratulations, PA Brushbuster

I have owned seven TVMs. Damn the nay-sayers. They make a fine rifle or smoothbore. They stand by their work. They produce quality, shootable, huntable, and dependable guns. They have never presented themselves as builders of HC or PC guns. They honestly represent what they build and sell.

I have won hundreds of shooting matches with the first TVM I ever bought. I have taken deer with a few others. I am awaiting the arrival of my "last" flintlock this week. (Don't anyone hold me to that.) It is a .54 Southern, built to my exact specifications and I expect it to be an exceptional hunting rifle. Where can you find a .54 caliber, 44" C-weight swamped barreled left handed Southern in walnut and fit exactly to my measurements? TVM, that's where.

Best of wishes with your new rifle. I didn't say "good luck", because you won't need any. You are in good hands.

ADK Bigfoot
Oh, you mean the big-box stores don't stock them? Seriously, though, I have one of the old Dixie/Miroku LH .50 cal. flint mountain rifles, with the Japanese cherry-wood stock, and
it's nice. Yours sounds great, and I'm glad to read customer accounts about TVM. I've never used them, but certainly would. Good luck hunting!

I've won shoots (a good while back) and taken many deer and small game critters with a few TVM guns I had built. Yes, I also did that with muzzleloaders of a different provenance. But my mainstay is a couple of TVM guns. They're not replicas of any specific historical guns but they are very fine and reliable. Iron Pennsylvania rifles might not be H/C but that's what a custom rifle is supposed to be - built to one's specifications.

I have a early Virginia in iron, and it is really put together well. Super fast and the Rice swamped barrel cleans up nice. As far as design, it has great balance, and holds nice.

Just to let you know, i have 2 TVM flinters and love them. I have an Iron Pa in .36cal,42”bbl, lg siler lock with p+ curly maple and a Fowler in .62cal,42”bbl,upgraded Dale Johnson lock and super p+++ curly maple. Both guns are well built and shoot great!

Now i also have a John Bergmann SMR in .54 and a Nate Mckenzie Lehigh .50 pattern after Herman Rupp. These 2 guys are well known and man can they build a flinter!

With that said, at some point i want to have another Fowler build but in .28ga and i would have no problem with TVM building it!

Beware!!
It looks like you are about to become infected with the dreaded "gottagetanothergunitis".
Partial remission comes only after purchasing a new gun. THERE IS NO CURE until the wife hides the check book and credit cards.
warning from and infected sufferer
Walt

Beware!!
It looks like you are about to become infected with the dreaded "gottagetanothergunitis".
Partial remission comes only after purchasing a new gun. THERE IS NO CURE until the wife hides the check book and credit cards.
warning from and infected sufferer
Walt

There is no cure for this disease. I know. There is, however, an effective treatment that lasts nearly a year. The only effective treatment is to contact TVM, speak with Matt or Melanie, or Leanne, or ANYONE who answers the phone (they are all good practitioners) and explain your symptoms. They will prescribe a number of very effective remedies that will keep you symptom-free for up to a year. I know. I get a treatment regularly. I have been treated with doses of .36, .50, .54, and .62. All worked wonderfully. I have had smoothbore treatments and rifled treatments. I have had brass-mounted and iron-mounted treatments. I have had "poor boy" treatments and "Plus P" treatments. I had one German Silver mounted treatment, but I got so shaky I had to ask for another treatment soon after. I once had a single-trigger treatment that lasted almost two years, but I needed re-incoulation with a set-trigger treatment that lasted less than one year. I have had 38" treatments but found 42" or 44" treatments reduced the symptoms more effectively. I have had swamped barrel treatments, but my most efficacious treatment was a left-handed 42" straight-barreled .50 Early Virginia dosage. I am thinking that a very French-looking Tulle with a 38" barrel and a rear sight might keep me stable for a year or two....Every case is different, but the treatments are all similar. They start with TVM...you fill in the dosage.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery (never gonna happen)

ADK Bigfoot

Back