• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Iron Pennsylvania?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bigfoot, that there is a great problem to have.

"gottagetanothergunitis"...the new support group for black powder shooters to get you to have another gun built!

Beware!!
It looks like you are about to become infected with the dreaded "gottagetanothergunitis".
Partial remission comes only after purchasing a new gun. THERE IS NO CURE until the wife hides the check book and credit cards.
warning from and infected sufferer
Walt
Glad to know there's an official name for the condition many of us have "suffered" from all these years!

Hello everyone, I received my TVM. I think it looks great, my crappy picks do it no justice.
25FF5182-1CC5-425C-AB5C-C830335BC77D.jpeg
FCE2EBD0-CA1A-45AF-A9AA-19725F83C7C8.jpeg
C0872370-1F4C-4811-A76E-A3271C5D3C76.jpeg
CC0B0569-8377-46B2-94CA-2693B934FDBA.jpeg
0DEFA188-1934-4ABD-8FFC-C3073F4402C4.jpeg
B3188A6E-68BB-4452-891C-3DCF0A9C9AEF.jpeg

Congratulations on your new arrival. Just understand; once you have entered this field, you are done. You will need another, and then, another. I have six TVMs in the collection, and just sold a "no name" flinter to acquire another TVM. Enjoy, and tell us how it shoots.

ADK Bigfoot

Go for the TVM. I have four of them. 50 cal 42” Virginia; 45cal 38” Penn. ; 42” 40cal Southern; 62cal 42” Fowler. All are superb shooters, very well made, and very nicely balanced, weighing 71/4-73/4 pounds...

After all this time I finally got around to shooting the TVM. I figured I would start out shooting 80gr of Olde Eysenford, mink oil
Lubed pillow ticking patches, and hornady balls . Here are my first three shots. This is def a shooter! Pennsylvania Flintlock season is right around the corner.

Attachments

• 09EC0DDD-067B-4232-986B-4C2D37A93AB1.jpeg
    09EC0DDD-067B-4232-986B-4C2D37A93AB1.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 71
I have been reading and researching trying to make a decision on a flintlock for primarily Deer hunting and target practice. I was interested in a 20ga smootbore but that is on the back burner for now. I'm borrowing (for years) a TC Hawken that is accurate with a prb but Im left wanting something that is "mine". I'm fairly new to blackpowder, and only went hunting about 10 times with a flintlock (over 20 years bow and rifle), but it has struck a nerve in me.

The TVM Iron Pennsylvania has caught my eye. If I was to order one I would want it to have a 38-42 inch swamped barrel B profile in .50 cal. Deluxe chambers siler lock, ++ maple finished red, aged steel, lighting touch hole liner, sling. I understand what TVM is and the niche they have filled in the market, Im not into reinacting (maybe someday) more into hunting and shooting. I do cover a lot of ground while hunting on some days in the eastern Mountains of PA. Weight and balance of a rifle is important to me. I realize this gun would run me around 1800$ And take 6-8 months.

On the other hand the Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54 with a peep sight seems like it would speak to me. The price would be less than half, and I can pick one up easily. I have heard good things about them but I have not handled one so I'm not sure of the balance, heft and off hand shoot-ability. I also have the luxury of living an hour from Dixons gun shop so I can go and handle a bunch of guns and load up on supplies if needed. I still think I am leaning to the TVM.

Anyone have Opinions or thoughts? Thanks
Why limit yourself to just one gun. I have multiple and enjoy shooting and hunting with each.

My suggestion is to drive to Dixons and seem what feels best. If you have the budget both would be great. If you can only get 1. I would prefer to hold examples in my hand. Any time I have questions I ask here and then go to my local BP shop. They have a good selection of BP guns which helps me along in the process. They are a small shop so I am guessing Dixons would have a ton more.

My suggestion is to drive to Dixons and seem what feels best. If you have the budget both would be great. If you can only get 1. I would prefer to hold examples in my hand. Any time I have questions I ask here and then go to my local BP shop. They have a good selection of BP guns which helps me along in the process. They are a small shop so I am guessing Dixons would have a ton more.
Dixon's is an absolute gem, and I go once a year or so. Still, you might call ahead if you're driving a long way. Several years ago, I decided I wanted a Lyman GPR in Left Hand, .54 cal. only. I drove there and sure enough, one was on the shelf; they were a Lyman warranty center. But this is now, with the economy, etc., I'd call ahead! They usually have a nice selection of custom guns hanging from the ceiling, but they're more in the custom price range. Great store for the BP hobby!

That PA TVM will be nice to hunt.
I had a Virginia in 54 with 42 inch barrel. It was a great rifle, but kinda hard getting in the truck all the time due to the length. I just ordered a 38 incher in 54 myself as a replacement.

TerryK, you need a bigger truck! My 42”ers fit perfect in the back seat or the bed w/cap in a F250 crewcab w/8’ bed! But then a new smokepole is a lot cheaper then a new truck!

That PA TVM will be nice to hunt.
I had a Virginia in 54 with 42 inch barrel. It was a great rifle, but kinda hard getting in the truck all the time due to the length. I just ordered a 38 incher in 54 myself as a replacement.
I have a TN Mtn rifle that HAD a 42" bbl.; had it cut to 33" and it's perfect for me!

Thats a good look’n flinter TVM built for you. Enjoy and have fun! Now when your ready for another...you need a .62 Fowler so you can shoot shot and roundball.
Exactly right, I may be ordering a TVM Fowler this winter. I love all kinds of hunting style rifles, centerfire, inline, etc, but when I have a flinter in my hands It hits me at a deeper level.

Exactly right, I may be ordering a TVM Fowler this winter. I love all kinds of hunting style rifles, centerfire, inline, etc, but when I have a flinter in my hands It hits me at a deeper level.

Well order up that Fowler cause it will go beyond a deeper level! And now a little addiction support offering to you...you know the quicker you place that order the the sooner it will be in your hands!!!

That is a very good looking rifle. My TVM .40 has that same red stained stock. I like it and know you do as well. But you've stepped in it now! More will be coming and you won't be able to help yourself.

Latest posts

Back