• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Late Lancaster First Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
I’m new to this forum and shooting flintlocks.
I received my first flintlock rifle right about Christmas time .
Now the fun begins.
I was finally able to get out and shoot it on Tuesday of this week.
It’s a.40 caliber Late Lancaster from TVM.
I was able to find a muzzle loading club and a few guys to help me out on learning how to use it safely.
I enjoyed shooting it and I can’t wait to get back out and shoot some more.
Lots to learn.
I’ve included a photo of my first shots shooting off the bench.
Also some of the rifle.

Attachments

• F2E97A7C-0612-42AE-90B4-10D7E6D01AC7.jpeg
    F2E97A7C-0612-42AE-90B4-10D7E6D01AC7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 2E92E132-B667-4375-BABB-B0D7122176CB.jpeg
    2E92E132-B667-4375-BABB-B0D7122176CB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5CF91C8E-3DBA-4497-ACC1-A49AA07FF724.jpeg
    5CF91C8E-3DBA-4497-ACC1-A49AA07FF724.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • A700AFA0-683F-42C6-8F10-22B8990B23D3.jpeg
    A700AFA0-683F-42C6-8F10-22B8990B23D3.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • C1CF45B7-CC82-4ED4-B780-71A9FDF17B44.jpeg
    C1CF45B7-CC82-4ED4-B780-71A9FDF17B44.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to The Muzzleloading Forum, Greg. That's a very nice rifle Matt built for you. I have a couple of them and they've seen lots of shooting and hunting. Yours' is obviously a very good shooter. What was the target distance?

Can you give us some info about that nice rifle such as caliber, barrel length, etc? The stock is beautiful, I like that type of finish and think it lends more than a bit of "elegance" to the build.

Welcome to The Muzzleloading Forum, Greg. That's a very nice rifle Matt built for you. I have a couple of them and they've seen lots of shooting and hunting. Yours' is obviously a very good shooter. What was the target distance?

Can you give us some info about that nice rifle such as caliber, barrel length, etc? The stock is beautiful, I like that type of finish and think it lends more than a bit of "elegance" to the build.
Hi Hanshi
It’s a.40 caliber with a 42” inch Colerain swamped barrel . Deluxe Curly Maple stock.
The barrel has an aged steel finish, and the hardware is an antique brass.
The target distance is 25 yards and I was shooting off the bench.
This is my first muzzle loading flintlock and I’m very happy with it.

in my 40s i shoot .395 ball, .18-20 patch, lube, dawn dish soap and water, and 50-55gr. of 3f both have rice barrels and are tack drivers. the paper says 4 shots, but it was 5 to the bullseye at 50yds off the bench. this is not a fluke, these guns are more accurate than a human. that is a beautiful rifle you have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
40 group.jpg

Welcome to the club. For a first flintlock you defiantly went all in on it. I like your style. For killing paper to me there is nothing better than a 40 cal.

in my 40s i shoot .395 ball, .18-20 patch, lube, dawn dish soap and water, and 50-55gr. of 3f both have rice barrels and are tack drivers. the paper says 4 shots, but it was 5 to the bullseye at 50yds off the bench. this is not a fluke, these guns are more accurate than a human. that is a beautiful rifle you have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,View attachment 303943
I’m going to try different loads to try to improve the accuracy.
I’ve been told that a.395 ball and tighter patch will give me better accuracy.
It’s a lot of fun shooting the flintlock.
Thanks

Thanks for the encouraging words.
The flintlock is fun to shoot.
Just remember the following if it hits but doesn't ignite the powder in pan check your flint alignment and knap the flint. If you get a flash in the pan and no ignition use your vent pick and clean out flash channel. Once you figure out how much powder it prefer in the pan for best ignition timing replicate it. Best of luck buddy you need anything we are here for ya.

I’m going to try different loads to try to improve the accuracy.
I’ve been told that a.395 ball and tighter patch will give me better accuracy.
It’s a lot of fun shooting the flintlock.
Thanks
I have a TVM mountain rifle in 40. I shoot 395 rb .18 patch and 55 grns 3f. Beautiful rifle and they are accurate. Welcome to the life with flint.

Troopertree

Just remember the following if it hits but doesn't ignite the powder in pan check your flint alignment and knap the flint. If you get a flash in the pan and no ignition use your vent pick and clean out flash channel. Once you figure out how much powder it prefer in the pan for best ignition timing replicate it. Best of luck buddy you need anything we are here for ya.
Thanks for the advice.
I did have a couple of flash in the pan. I have to keep reminding myself to pick the flash hole.
It definitely is fun to shoot a flintlock.

Hello Everyone
I’m new to this forum and shooting flintlocks.
I received my first flintlock rifle right about Christmas time .
Now the fun begins.
I was finally able to get out and shoot it on Tuesday of this week.
It’s a.40 caliber Late Lancaster from TVM.
I was able to find a muzzle loading club and a few guys to help me out on learning how to use it safely.
I enjoyed shooting it and I can’t wait to get back out and shoot some more.
Lots to learn.
I’ve included a photo of my first shots shooting off the bench.
Also some of the rifle.
Good shooting. Welcome from north carolina

in my 40s i shoot .395 ball, .18-20 patch, lube, dawn dish soap and water, and 50-55gr. of 3f both have rice barrels and are tack drivers. the paper says 4 shots, but it was 5 to the bullseye at 50yds off the bench. this is not a fluke, these guns are more accurate than a human. that is a beautiful rifle you have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,View attachment 303943
Wow. Thats a great group

Latest posts

Back