• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Custom build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...I also know that at the time of spec'ing the gun out, they never asked if I would prefer a defective barrel or not..."

Now Goose...are you now saying they knowingly sent you a defective barrel?
:)

Next time any of you guys buys a new car for $20,000-$30,000 bucks...then find it has defects, which it will...and you have to take it back to the dealer...probably multiple times...ask them to pay for your return expenses, LOL.

What I'm saying is they sent me a defective gun, and I don't feel I should have been penalized any further for having it corrected.

I think my position has been made, there is nothing more I can add. I'm sorry I can't jump on your bandwagon. This has been my experience with said company.

Good luck, all.

PM sent to fischerico2.

Understand you're annoyed...and I'm on no bandwagon...just trying to clarify that it sounds like they did exactly what you / they agreed to...continuing to trash talk them is really not going to help and to be honest doesn't put you in a very good light...just sayin
Anyhow, good luck in the future

The traditional muzzleloading & gun builder world is rather small. . . so customer feedback on this forum matters to me.

My leaning toward TVM is as a potential first time builder who wants a good lock stock and barrel above what I can buy from Spain or Italy. . . TVM seems to be the company with the most completed kit for a guy not looking for building bragging rights . . . but a good hunting rifle. In fact, if my budget would allow, I'd buy "in the white" . . and may yet, if I can rob a bank somewhere or sell my plasma . . .lots of it !!

I am not going to discount an extra $50 or $60 on top of a 1,200 rifle. Call me cheap, I guess, ( I'll blame O'trauma )

Mac, my only build was a TVM kit, and I would agree with you that its a lot of bang for the buck. I am most happy with that rifle. The only thing I would do different, in hindsight, is to have them omit the lock and buy one direct from Chambers. I only say this because, "oh dear, here he goes again", I had to send the frizzen back on that lock to be hardened properly. Other than that, great parts at a price point that was hard to beat. I know it will cost a little more to have the lock come directly from Chambers, but then you will know who assembled it, and have the guarantee to go with it.

Good thought . . . I have not even considered which locks are best. I know an L&R, Siler, RE Davis and Chambers are all better than what I have on my Lyman and certainly my Traditions. . . I had not even thought about of those three or four builder locks, how they rate. I am sure its all probably a matter of a few degrees. . .Any suggestions?

I had one L&R and that gave me no trouble. But primarily I have had and still use Silers from Chambers. In my limited experience I am very happy with them.

I've never attempted to build a lock, not even from a kit. I prefer to let folks in the know take care of that business. I would think that it wouldn't take much misalignment with a part or two to cause major problems with a lock.

Mac1967 said:
Good thought . . . I have not even considered which locks are best. I know an L&R, Siler, RE Davis and Chambers are all better than what I have on my Lyman and certainly my Traditions. . . I had not even thought about of those three or four builder locks, how they rate. I am sure its all probably a matter of a few degrees. . .Any suggestions?
Speaking only for myself, after I tried my first Chambers Deluxe Siler an the .58cal Early Virginia and found it to be a fast, flawless performer, I bought Chambers Deluxe Silers for the following 4 Flintlocks as well.

I guess I misspoke, in that Siler is a style rather than a manufacturer. . . Thanks for the heads up on the chambers. I have not had a single problem with my Lyman GPR flint . .but I know some folks have replaced them with L&R locks and raved about that move as a real improvement . . I am left handed and I don't think there is a LH replacement lock, but I have made a note of it in the back of my mind.

I agree. You can't beat Chambers locks. I had a Chambers large siler put on my lancaster and a Chambers colonial virginia put on my early virginia rifle. Both are excellent. :thumbsup:

I have corrected the issue with problems like this.....I now have my guns built by a custom well known maker, bought 3, all perfect and match grade accurate and proven match winners.

I have two good local makers I've found willing to advise me on a kit and build . . . but I'd rather switch roles and advise them on making my gun !! (HA!).

Alden said:

The plain truth is I personally would not trust TVM to get an order right nor to make it right when they screw it up. For good reasons. So I urge buyers who will buy a TVM gun sight unseen to protect themselves to the extent practicable. How can this be such a radical concept even to those who obviously have a vested interest in promoting TVM for their own benefit? And what credibility can they possibly have arguing instead to "throw all caution to the wind"!? It's so odd!
(I added the boldface to the quote.)

I can fully understand how a person that feels he did not get what he thinks he was buying will warn others to be cautious.

What I can't understand is how anyone who has posted anything positive in this topic to support TVM has a "vested interest in promoting TVM for their own benefit". :confused:

Are you saying all of these people work for TVM so defending the company will assure them of money or a job?

Are you suggesting that TVM is giving these people something above and beyond what they (TVM) would give any other person?

Using terms like, "Vested interest" and "their own benefit" would seem to say you are.

To my way of thinking, someone who gets a warm fuzzy feeling by defending or supporting a company they have had a good relationship with, isn't gaining anything that benefits them.

If they aren't getting anything out of their support, they are not "benefiting" in any way.

fischereco2 said:
Alden,
Even though I like TVM, I don't think you are crazy or out of place warning people about your bad experience. Your bad experience just needs to be viewed in the context everyone's experience so people can make an informed decision.

Not just my bad experiences, but of course! Where's the controversy!?

If there's anything to be concerned about it might be some folk here with ulterior motives trying to lull others into a false sense of security...

TVM's cheerleaders, Zonie, often apparently have too close a relationship with Matt (one who threatened me we found was his personal friend, though he didn't know what state Matt lived in anymore, who'd won a free rifle from TVM). Some seem to be protecting a pecuniary interest -- in other words the resale value of their dear investments. And others are clinically defensive about their TVM choice like the kids who buy $99 Russian MilSurp and then argue those are the best arms ever made. I think they are obvious here Zonie, and they try to make things personal with impunity, but they're just so off base.

And for the record I'd just like to point out that nowhere here have I said not to buy a TVM gun.

Is this still going on? Stopped reading this topic awhile back because it evolved into personalities. I guess it's now just "upmanship?............Fred

Roundball said:
Understand you're annoyed...and I'm on no bandwagon...just trying to clarify that it sounds like they did exactly what you / they agreed to...continuing to trash talk them is really not going to help and to be honest doesn't put you in a very good light...just sayin
Anyhow, good luck in the future

I respect his light and can it just fine. So... I guess the taxidermist that screwed me royally should get my praise and I should direct others to him? After all the mount was fine? Its the business practice (theft) that has cost him probably 50-60 mounts in the last 15 years.

FWIW I will NOT buy a TVM due to the instances I have seen with customer service. Its a small world we play in here and a CUSTOM should have the very best customer service each and every sale. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Siler is a style rather than a manufacturer

Siler was a manufacturer of kits for that particular lock style for many years. It seems, the style has now become synonymous with the Siler name.
Now, I'll betcha some historian is gonna tell me I'm wrong. Never fails. :wink:

This is off of Jim Chamber's site...

Around 1960 C.E. "Bud" Siler made the first Siler lock by copying a pristine Germanic style lock produced around 1770. From that first effort grew a business that continues to this day to set the standard by which all other locks are judged.

On December 16, 1993 after thirty plus years of superb service, Mr. and Mrs. Siler retired, and Siler Lock Company was sold to Jim Chambers Flintlocks, Ltd.

Latest posts

Back