• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Custom build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBuckeye

32 Cal.
Reaction score
All,

I have decided that I want a custom Flinter and have chosen Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading to build it.

Here is what I have in mind:

-TVM's Tennessee style rifle
-42" swamped .45 cal barrel
-aged finish lock and barrel
-super premium maple stained red
-siler flintlock
-14 1/4 length of pull
-Single lid patch box
-Brass furniture
-vent pick inlay

I would love thoughts on the above build as well as the .45 caliber. I currently have a .54 Lancaster county rifle which I love and for this rifle thought I would try a different caliber...wondering if the .50 would be better.

With a .54 in the stable, I would not look at a .50 next as they are so close in application. IMO a .32 or .40 would serve you better by covering a completely different set of uses. Not to mention they are just plain fun and economical.

I have .50s and a .54 but most used is my .40 Tennessee flinter.
TC

As a general rule TN styled rifles use iron furniture, not brass, however most southern styled rifles from NC still had similar architecture with brass furniture, but the patchbox was very different. It is your rifle, go with what you want.
As far as caliber,50 seems to be a favorite now days, but 45 is just fine for almost anything you care to shoot, within reason. Perhaps a little light for elk, but otherwise just fine.

Here's what I would order from TVW and the reasons why.....

Tennessee style precarve is a good choice

A "B" weight bbl X42" in .45 cal would be suitable
An "aged" look would also be fine.

Super premium wood is a good choice if there's no carving....w/ carving, it's a distraction.

How red do you want it? Red color can be sorta tricky.

A Siler flintlock isn't a good choice for your chosen style...not HC. A chambers' Late Ketland is the way to go.

14-1/4" LOP is for a pretty big, long armed guy....you already have rifles w/ that long a LOP?

Brass furniture isn't correct for your chosen style.....use "iron".

Never had any use for a vent pick, but that would be your choice.

A Chambers' "White Lightning" TH liner would yield better ignition...if you don't object to the SS circle.

"It's your rifle, so do w/ it what you will" is common advice, but as long as you're having a LR built, have it built correctly {HC}......Fred

Great feedback!

I am a pretty big guy 6'3" and I used their technique for measuring LOP....made a 90 with my arm and measured from the inside to the relaxed trigger finger and got 14.5" but decided to shorten it slightly to 14.25".

I'm not sure iron furniture was an option....will have to think about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was torn between the Virginia and Tennessee styles. I couldn't really tell the difference. Can someone shed some light on that?

Just reading your description of the rifle that you are ordering had my mouth watering. It sounds like it will be a beautiful rifle with which you will have many enjoyable hours in the woods and/or at the range. :thumbsup:

I meant to say Southern style not Virginia. What is the difference between the Southern and Tennessee?

I have one of each. The southern has a much broader butt with less of a curve in the buttplate, while the Tennessee has a much narrower one with a greater curve in the buttplate.

If you look in the Photo Section of this forum I just posted pics of a Virginia 45 caliber with a swamped 42" barrel. It has a Jim Chambers larger Siler lock and Davis set triggers. It was stained with a reddish brown stain. It has a wide brass but plate. I am 6'1" and that rifle fits nicely with a 14" length of pull. Also if at all possible I would sure want to shoulder as many rifles as possible so you get a good idea what might fit your face. So many styles have too low of a stock for me and gun fit is important IMHO. Might give ya something to look at. Greg. :)

My Tn .32 rifle has a swamped barrel and a Chambers late Ketland lock. Just to be different I got brass rather than iron; my SMR was iron so.....
The Tn is also a "poorboy". The late Ketland is a major sparking machine. The barrel is a Rice, swamped, round bottom. You are going to have FUN!

BigBuckeye said:
Exactly what I wanted to know....I definitely want the greater curved butt.

If you are going with the narrow, highly curved butt, stay away from .50 or larger. The wider flat butt is a better choice for .50 caliber and up because it spreads the recoil out better.

I have two .50 cal. rifles, one with the wide and flat butt and one with the narrow and highly curved butt. The wider, flatter butt on my .50 Early Lancaster is much more comfortable to shoot. I think your choice of a .45 caliber with that narrow crescent shaped butt is a much better choice and incidentally more commonly found in the time period those were made. Calibers seemed to drop to around .45 and .40 caliber after the Rev War and steel finishings became more common too.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

I would urge you NOT to pay the balance for this, or any, gun sight unseen from TVM. Just some friendly advice based on experience...

BigBuckeye said:
Great feedback!

I am a pretty big guy 6'3" and I used their technique for measuring LOP....made a 90 with my arm and measured from the inside to the relaxed trigger finger and got 14.5" but decided to shorten it slightly to 14.25".

I'm not sure iron furniture was an option....will have to think about that.
Food for thought...I'm 6'4" with 38" sleeve lengths and found 14" to be plenty. if you're going to be using it for hunting with layers of hunting clothes you might be sorry to go with an LOP that long. FYI, Had several built by TVM and they're great...

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I would suggest you consider...since you asked...is to look at 40 caliber instead of 45.
Perhaps even 36.
I've been shooting 50's since the middle 1970's. I'm "fully invested" in 50's, and love'em.
That said however...if I knew back then, what I know now, my first purchase would have been a .54 for hunting, then later a .36 or .40 to punch paper.
I'm currently (FINALLY...some might say) having a .40 built for just that purpose. :thumbsup:

flehto said:
Here's what I would order from TVW and the reasons why.....

Tennessee style precarve is a good choice

A "B" weight bbl X42" in .45 cal would be suitable
An "aged" look would also be fine.

Super premium wood is a good choice if there's no carving....w/ carving, it's a distraction.

How red do you want it? Red color can be sorta tricky.

A Siler flintlock isn't a good choice for your chosen style...not HC. A chambers' Late Ketland is the way to go.

14-1/4" LOP is for a pretty big, long armed guy....you already have rifles w/ that long a LOP?

Brass furniture isn't correct for your chosen style.....use "iron".

Never had any use for a vent pick, but that would be your choice.

A Chambers' "White Lightning" TH liner would yield better ignition...if you don't object to the SS circle.

"It's your rifle, so do w/ it what you will" is common advice, but as long as you're having a LR built, have it built correctly {HC}......Fred

IMHO and for what its worth, Mr. Letho is right on target (pun intended). I would definitely follow his advice.....Mick C

Latest posts

Back