• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Custom build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, it might be best to step back awhile, enjoy the rifle you have, and save up for the rifle that you finally decide that you REALLY want.

I agree that a credit card (unless you can pay it off the next month) is not a good way to go.

Haste makes waste ... and possible dissatisfaction that can lead to extra expense if what you get isn't really what you wanted.

"Be sure you are right (and have the money), then go ahead."

Spikebuck said:
In general, I think TVM fills a niche for relatively low-cost rifles that can look better than many of the factory rifles, but even TVM disclaims HC/PC, so if that's what one is looking for, TVM is probably not the choice.

I'll just sum it up like this. Look at two picture posts by Roundball. The TVM in post 1494291 and the Michigan-made Dickert in 1494299. If one cannot see or does not care about the obvious differences (don't look at curly vs plain maple as that has nothing to do with the build) then one will probably be perfectly happy with a TVM. If those differences matter, then maybe one should look at other builders and probably expect to pay a bit more. Both will probably put a round ball in the same place time after time with a properly developed load.

As a side note, I have a TVM and several other flinters built by some very talented builders, so have some direct comparisons in my gun safe. Not knocking a TVM for what it is meant to be, but if I had to spend hours looking at a truly fine rifle, I wouldn't pick the TVM out of the safe compared to others I have. If I wanted a good shooting, lower-cost rifle that's perhaps a step above most production rifles, the TVM fills the bill.

This is what I agree with.

I appreciate this comment and seeing that quote again. I like TVM but am leaning toward buying the late lancaster from Petatonica because I think I can get the same good components TVM offers ( Chambers Locks, Rice Barrel etc) with a little better stock for about the same price. ..though I think TVM does more work to their kits making them a little easier for a new builder like me, I may just have to learn some of those extras on my own. . .TVM fills a good niche that I am in though.

Jack Wilson said:
frogwalking said:
Agree? With WHAT?

Quote the damn post. :shake:

Well Jack, with the number of posts you have I would like to believe that you knew what he agreed with. Just look at the "in response to" area (right up top) and this is who is responding to. But you DID know that, I'm sure, if not very happy to help you figure this darn confusing forum out! Have a wonderful day now, ya hear?

azmntman said:
look at the "in response to" area (right up top) and this is who is responding to. But you DID know that, I'm sure, if not very happy to help you figure this darn confusing forum out!
Yes, "in response to" shows who you are replying to, but not which post you are referring to.

Jack makes, although rudely, a point that I put in this topic: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/295534/

Last edited by a moderator:
This reply is to no one in particular.Every time TVM products come up for discussion on any site the posters are either fiercly defensive or severely critical,fascinating to say the least.Me, if I can't hold it I ain't buying.There are a lot of good gunbuilders close by or Fort Bridger is only a long days drive.If you can't find it there forget it.Yeah I know the cost of driving that far is substantial but a lot less than the frustrations of mail order when something goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back