• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Early Virginia on its way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TVM sent me these pics of my .54 caliber 42" Early Virginia with walnut stock and iron furniture. Should arrive next week. Turnaround time from placing my order to completed rifle was about ten months. View attachment 302680View attachment 302681View attachment 302682View attachment 302683View attachment 30268510 months. They have been great to work with.View attachment 302680
Gorgeous! The contrast of the dark wood and finish of barrel is really appealing.

i had an early TVM Virginia in 45 i sold here, it was a tack driver! i had a TVM southern rifle in 54 it was also a tack driver and a deer killer! here is a 50yd 3 shot group i shot offhand. i can't shoot that good every time but i did that time! LOL! your gun looks good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,View attachment 303456
I have talked to Melanie about my concern with the sight as it appears in the picture, but the rifle had already been shipped. UPS is supposed to deliver it today. She told me to let them know if I still have concerns when I have the rifle in hand.

Well did your Rifle arrive yet??
Yep, the rifle is here. It sure is purty. Even my wife who patiently endures my eccentricities and hobbies said that she loved the look of the steel against the dark walnut. As some of you noticed in the pics, the front sight is not flush with the barrel. I didn't catch that before shipping and evidently, TVM missed it as well. They have asked me to remove the barrel and mail it back to them so that they can fix it. I thought about drifting the sight out myself and filing down the base or the sight or the dovetail notch in the barrel, but I don't want to screw it up.

Harley do not send the barrel back the front size easy enough to do yourself you’re asking for trouble you have it in your possession. Keep it there.

Harley do not send the barrel back the front size easy enough to do yourself you’re asking for trouble you have it in your possession. Keep it there.
Yep, I agree. I have watched a few tutorial videos and I can fix this myself. I will ask the group.....should I start by removing some metal in the notch in the barrel or remove some metal from the sight to fit the notch? Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

should I start by removing some metal in the notch in the barrel or remove some metal from the sight to fit the notch?
Hard to tell without hands on but if you drift out the sight and take a picture to give us an idea of the amount of metal you have to deal with will help. Myself I would start with filing some from the bottom of the sight base. You might even be able to remove the sight blade and file the base to lower the blade then solder it back in. I did that on one without risking making the dovetail too deep.

Yep, the rifle is here. It sure is purty. Even my wife who patiently endures my eccentricities and hobbies said that she loved the look of the steel against the dark walnut. As some of you noticed in the pics, the front sight is not flush with the barrel. I didn't catch that before shipping and evidently, TVM missed it as well. They have asked me to remove the barrel and mail it back to them so that they can fix it. I thought about drifting the sight out myself and filing down the base or the sight or the dovetail notch in the barrel, but I don't want to screw it up.
I would take it out and shoot the rifle first.
That will probably shoot just fine the way it is.
I just shot my Late Lancaster rifle that I purchased from TVM and it shoots great right out of the box.

Hard to tell without hands on but if you drift out the sight and take a picture to give us an idea of the amount of metal you have to deal with will help. Myself I would start with filing some from the bottom of the sight base. You might even be able to remove the sight blade and file the base to lower the blade then solder it back in. I did that on one without risking making the dovetail too deep.
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot.

It looks to me that the blade stands too tall off the base, you might be wiser to order another base from Track of the Wolf and use it. Or, you could possibly remove the blade and reinstall it on the base after bringing it down to it.

Back