• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Early Virginia on its way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have concerns about that gap under the front sight. There should be virtually no g

It looks to me that the blade stands too tall off the base, you might be wiser to order another base from Track of the Wolf and use it. Or, you could possibly remove the blade and reinstall it on the base after bringing it down to it.
Yep, I wish I had caught that in the pic before it was shipped. I have had some conversations with TVM about it and they wanted me to remove the barrel and ship it back to them. I did not want to do that, so I took it to a gunsmith down the road in Sheridan who is going to fix it for me. He did tell me that the dovetail notch in the barrel was cut crooked, so the sight was not only sitting too high but was also not pointed straight. That is not good quality control, and I am surprised that a shop with a good reputation like TVM let that slip out the door. I see posts in different forums praising TVM guns and other posts discussing problems that they had with the finished product. I plan to buy other flinters in the future but not so sure I would go with TVM again.

Last edited:
Yep, I wish I had caught that in the pic before it was shipped. I have had some conversations with TVM about it and they wanted me to remove the barrel and ship it back to them. I did not want to do that, so I took it to a gunsmith down the road in Sheridan who is going to fix it for me. He did tell me that the dovetail notch in the barrel was cut crooked, so the sight was not only sitting too high but was also not pointed straight. That is not good quality control, and I am surprised that a shop with a good reputation like TVM let that slip out the door. I see posts in different forums praising TVM guns and other posts discussing problems that they had with the finished product. I plan to buy other flinters in the future but not so sure I would go with TVM again.
I had to ship a TVM Pennsylvania iron back due to multiple issues. They said they were just going to rebuild it. Not sure why they even shipped it. Crooked cut dovetails was one issue. Gouged out wood by the hammer/cock was another issue (check yours…). Others were removing too much wood beyond metal on inletting, muzzle had rough saw cut finish, toe plate to butt plate gap/crooked, extreme gap between barrel and front sight, and cock difficult to pull back.

I received the rebuild and they couldn’t even put a properly sized flint in it and my first test to check the lock resulted in it not releasing the frizzen, so how the heck did they check it. Inspect your gun from muzzle to butt plate and send it back if it doesn’t meet your expectations. Lastly, the jaws of the cock look off center to the frizzen so I have an email and phone call out to Jim Chambers (Siler lock). To get the flint to square up with the frizzen, it just looks too lopsided in the jaws for my liking.

Last edited:
I had a TVM EV .50 just like yours except for caliber. I have more than one TVM and yes, they are very fine people. I would have sent the barrel off to TVM; they do a really quick turn-around. If you enjoy your rifle I'm confused why you say you'll steer clear of them in the future. Why not go by what you think and not by what someone else thinks.

Latest posts

Back