• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TSS in smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried tungsten super shot in their smoothbores? I was wondering if tungsten shot would be too hard for the barrels?
Kevin

Some folks need/want non-lead shot options. I have performed a bit of research with very little information forthcoming about using TSS in traditional smoothbores. Folks say it will ruin you barrel or the plastic shotgun wads will melt and leave nasty residue in your barrel. Well, I ran a couple of test on my Chambers .62 English officers fusil with a 41” barrel which is jug choked.

I acquired some #9 TSS, some non-slit plastic 20 gauge shotgun wads designed for TSS and a plastic shotgun wad slitter.

I compared weight to volume for TSS with a digital scale and my standard powder measure. I found:

1 ounce (by weight) of TSS = 40 grains (by volume) in my powder measure
1.5 oz ( by weight) of TSS = 60 grains (by volume)
1.75 oz ( by weight) of TSS = 70 grains ( by volume)

I tested several loads but here is my best load so far: (30 yards distance).

70 grains FFG Goex powder
1 1/8” nitro card edge lubed with Mr. Flintlock lube
1 1/8” wool felt wad lightly lubed with Mr. Flintlock lube
1 plastic shotgun wad (for TSS) slit fully and trimmed to length of shot column
70 grains #9 TSS
1 over shot card

My target was a large sheet of light cardboard with a lovely turkey image drawn on it. Turkey’s neck is about 10” for perspective.

As you can see, the pattern is pretty good at 30 yards. This is only the results of my testing with my flintlock smoothbore. Your mileage may vary.

No evidence of burning/melting plastic wads.
No evidence of plastic residue in barrel.
Wads have powder residue staining but could be used again.
No evidence of TSS dimpling the wads.
No evidence of damage to the barrel.
Jug choke did not appear to have influenced the pattern using plastic shotgun wads.

Modify message

Excellent material and write up. Yes TSS is safe for muzzleloaders using the appropriate over powder wads, a tungsten designed shotcup and appropriate overshot card. I use 2 leather over powder wads, 1/4 inch lubed felt wad, SAM 1 20ga shotcup trimmed down and slit with 4 petals and another 1/4 inch lubed felt overshot wad. 1 1/8 oz of TSS 5, 6, and 7's is a goose and turkey hammer. 75 grains of OE or Swiss 3Fg gives me 1132 fps. I typically shoot my own homemade bismuth shot when waterfowl hunting, however hunting turkeys in bottom land swamps often requires full body shots and TSS has the punch to do that work and drop them in their tracks. Good luck to you.

Back