• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is the reasonable distance to quickly kill a turkey with a muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once shot a turkey that was crossing the trail I was on. There were others with him but he crossed alone. My 20 gauge bird gun was an unmentionable. #6 shot, modified bore. Killed him at 20 yards. I could not find where he was hit. Back then, turkeys had to be checked and tagged at a game checking station. A game warden was there and examined the bird and never found an injury of any kind. He said I was lucky to have got him. My point is I've never turkey hunted with a shotgun since. Give me a small bore ml any day. I'm for every hunter using what they want. But me, I don't want to be restricted by distance. Lots of shotgun hunters seem to be really concerned about their patterns, wanting very tight patterns. I get that but but I'd much rather skip the pattern and distance concerns and just go hunting. Call them in, get one in your sights, shoot it. My little brother hunted with a revolver for everything. He used the same principles used by shotgun hunters and was very successful, except he never had any camo clothing nor any modern equipment. He has long since stopped hunting all together. WOW, did I get off topic or what? Sorry.

Off topic kinda but bear with me, we Aussie bush boys were generally taught Gun safety and Marksmanship with Bolt action single shot .22 cal Rifles; and that included being able to drop a wild Pig with a round placed just below their ear.

Of course that demanded good stalking and a reasonably close shot around 20 to 50 metres and an unstartled Pig.
Thankfully our confidence was always high with Granddad and/or Dad standing behind us with an old 44.40 Winchester or SMLE .303 at hand.
Stalking, Marksmanship and nil wasted Ammo was the expectation in those days, and we youngsters were blessed with it learning from what were the Masters.....Men who'd soldiered in two separate World Wars and well knew the essential value of Hunting with finesse and ethos.

Understanably I'm not aware of the indidual American States hunting requirements, but personally I cant understand why a small calibre rifle a la .22 is "verboten' for taking a Turkey.

Last edited:
To many people and in camouflage...

Some states I do think allow rifle during the rifle seasons.

I heard one state is goes archery for them or Shotgun.. then rifle deer opens and turkey is still open. so they allow rifle for them during the rifle season. But your in orange then too I think

Kinda a shot size distance story...

These 2 old timers.. one year had to buy ten gauge modern.. but the argument the same... group of 6 it was 30 min of back and forth shot size and velocity etc.. choke tubes they didn't understand at all and that was good I picked those.

I don't know why they thought it would shoot like 80 yards😕 🤔 they were not happy about the patterns at all. And they buy the heaveyst load in the store and then fight about that it's a waist of shot.

That turned into a bigger argument about who picked what that is no good... the shells no good.. the choke 😳 I was like

Every year when someone missed it turned into that.

They told me It's all no good when the pattern disperses like that over distance.. it's no good.. and that I don't understand why. In all the confusion the ideas they had were all to get the shot to carry better not keep spreading and yea it opens fast 5 yards out changed from 25 and 30 we see it open

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back