• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too much powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been spending a fair amount of time trying to work out a good shot load for my smoothbore. Both are .62 one a fowler the other a shortened Fusil. I have tried pretty much every loading technique found on this site. I have settled on 85 gr 2f cornmeal buffer and 90 gr of #6 shot covered with a card.
This combo works well but I’m wondering; is this too much powder?
Do I need to load it this hot? What do you all suggest?
This is intended for small game only, I’m going to work on a turkey load at a later date.
Thanks,
Kevin

It isn't necessarily "too much" if it patterns well. But would seem closer to a turkey load.
I run about 60 to 65 grains 3f or 2f (preferring 3f) and 1oz of #5 shot for squirrels and pheasants.
Whether your current load is "too much" or not could depend on a few factors. The primary one is pattern. Does it pattern well, and,,,, to how far... Which is the second factor that quickly comes to mind.... How far out, or how high up, is your average shot at a squirrel where and when you hunt? If your shooting your squirrels way high up in the tops of trees,,, you may need that much. But, that would be irrelevant of it doesn't pattern well at that distance.

If need be ...try shot cups . My NW gun throws horrible shot groups unless I use a shot cup.I make ...I wrap.paper around a dowel.rod , front open bottom.twist shot , hornets nest wadding or grass on top.....works great

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_144550.jpg
    IMG_20231024_144550.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
When I was much younger and did a lot of rabbit hunting in NJ in the 60's. Everybody talked about patterning their shotgun at 40 yards. Most of my shots at rabbits were within 40 feet, and I wondered why I couldn't connect that often with a double barrel both chocked full! A 75 foot tree is a very tall tree, that's 25 yards. Most of my shots are within 50 feet.

Its funny how a few extra feet can make such a difference! I started out at 25 yards as stated, and noticed there was always- no matter what combination of card, wad,buffer, or powder- there was always a hole in the middle. So one day my brain said try it at 20 yards and see what happens….would you look at that, the hole was gone. Next up I’ll try the lighter powder charge. That may have to wait a week or two as last sunday morning I came very close to being an ex muzzleloader, when my heart decided to go rogue. And right now to get to the range I have to get past my bride, and my daughter. I am not that brave.
I really enjoy coming here theres always help and good advice. It’s a good place to be
Thanks
Kevin

Its funny how a few extra feet can make such a difference! I started out at 25 yards as stated, and noticed there was always- no matter what combination of card, wad,buffer, or powder- there was always a hole in the middle. So one day my brain said try it at 20 yards and see what happens….would you look at that, the hole was gone. Next up I’ll try the lighter powder charge. That may have to wait a week or two as last sunday morning I came very close to being an ex muzzleloader, when my heart decided to go rogue. And right now to get to the range I have to get past my bride, and my daughter. I am not that brave.
I really enjoy coming here theres always help and good advice. It’s a good place to be
Thanks
Kevin
The lighter charge will work better with 3f or finer still. Promise!
I refuse to use anything else now after 30 years of hunting with a muzzloader.

Powder I have is half way between 3&4f.

I have been spending a fair amount of time trying to work out a good shot load for my smoothbore. Both are .62 one a fowler the other a shortened Fusil. I have tried pretty much every loading technique found on this site. I have settled on 85 gr 2f cornmeal buffer and 90 gr of #6 shot covered with a card.
This combo works well but I’m wondering; is this too much powder?
Do I need to load it this hot? What do you all suggest?
This is intended for small game only, I’m going to work on a turkey load at a later date.
Thanks,
Kevin

Like most have said on here, 60 - 65 have always work for me. Don't know if you are just beginning in the sport but I have found out most new guys like to burn way too much powder.

It may help your powder to think about what is printed on modern shotshells that you might use - the "drams equivalent" markings.

One dram is 27 grains of powder.... so a 54 gr load would be the 2 drams, and the mid 60s would get you the 2.5 dram that quite a lot of modern "light" field/target loads claim to duplicate.

Back