• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifled to smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How hard is it to convert a rifled barrel to smoothbore myself? I imagine it doesn't have to be super precise to get hunting accuracy. Searching the web isn't popping up what tools are used though, i imagine some sort of reamer, drill, or boring rod ran by hand with abrasive compound would work though

By the time you pay for the cost of the reamers, hones and build the bench to remove the rifling fro the bore, it is cheaper to send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt.
but you just did away with learning process and the DIY thang.
So, YOU never threw $$$ at a project just to say "I Did It"? :confused: Maybe YOU should have stayed in bed. ;):)
Funny thing is, I was just considering the same thing. Rifled barrel that was fired, NOT cleaned, put away to corrode and rust. No good the way it is so why not ream it out or whatever it takes to make it usable again. :)

I also have a very nice rifle that would serve me better as a smooth bore, I’ve pondered the idea quite a bit, I consider myself a better than fair machinists and have a small shop here at home, after looking at tooling and pondering the possibility of trashing a good rifle I’ve settled on the best thing for me is to send it to Bobby and suffer through the wait, in the scheme of things it really isn’t that expensive considering, just my 2 cents anyway.

There are times @Nor Cal Mikie that doing one's own thing is a good approach. There are times when looking at the pro and cons of doing something must be weighed against using the services of someone who is an expert and can do the job better than making an extension for a brake hone and spending hours honing a barrel. A reamer would ensure the bore diameter is consistent from breech to muzzle. Perhaps a search for reaming a barrel which has been done by @rich pierce would be in order.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...a-smoothbore-ummm-bore-d.171189/#post-2464297
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/rebore-question.172144/#post-2481779

Thought about the Hoyt angle with an old barrel I have then figured the wait and cost and thought it would be easier and cheaper to buy a new or decent shape used barrel for less and go from there. I still have one in process of smoothing/reaming out by hand and it hasn't been too bad I even re-breeched it and have spent way less than $100 on tools that I can use again. I hear Hoyt is busy and his prices went up as well.
My 2 centavos

Depends on what equipment you have and how long to barrel is. Also how much you need to take out. I have taken 50 and 54 cal rifles up to 56 and 58 smooth. The thing is I already had a lathe. I brazed a reamer on to the appropriate length PC of steel rod and slowly worked it thru the barrel.

By the time you pay for the cost of the reamers, hones and build the bench to remove the rifling fro the bore, it is cheaper to send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt.
I would but he's essentially impossible to contact especially since I'm on the west coast, if someone wants to be the middle man though I'll gladly pay them for there time

There are times @Nor Cal Mikie that doing one's own thing is a good approach. There are times when looking at the pro and cons of doing something must be weighed against using the services of someone who is an expert and can do the job better than making an extension for a brake hone and spending hours honing a barrel. A reamer would ensure the bore diameter is consistent from breech to muzzle. Perhaps a search for reaming a barrel which has been done by @rich pierce would be in order.
Looking at the big picture and going way back, if folks only compared price, to work needed, to getting a gun built, how many old muzzleloader builders would there have been or even guns built?
Folks do work for things they want and don't even think about the cost. There IS a satisfaction in being able to DIY and saying "I BUILT IT"!! :thumb::D There IS pride in ones accomplishments. The project may not be to other's "standards" but someone got pride out of building it. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder in anything that gets done.;)

Depends on what equipment you have and how long to barrel is. Also how much you need to take out. I have taken 50 and 54 cal rifles up to 56 and 58 smooth. The thing is I already had a lathe. I brazed a reamer on to the appropriate length PC of steel rod and slowly worked it thru the barrel.
I don't have a lathe, I was offered a 60s engine lathe for free a while back if I could find a way to move it, but couldn't find anyone to help. I was thinking of getting a 33/64 gun drill 36 inches long, and building a little table and 3d printing bearing supports that can be screwed to the table for the drill same thing for the barrel that way everything is pretty straight, technically I should be able free float the drill and it should just follow the existing bore and just take off the rifling

R E, This sounds interesting. Was it a pistol or rifle? If a rifle, how did you get your reamer to go the full length of the barrel? Thanks
I'm also interested after a little research adjustable hand reamer seems the way to go, I just don't know how he extended it to do full length, could weld it but it better be damn straight or its gonna wobble or break when cutting

It was a CVA wolf rifle with the breech plug removed .The reamer was square on the end and a 1/4 inch socket tool extension fit on it I just kept adding extensions until it was complete also I used the handle that is for turning thread taps to turn it I would not use a power tool .I adjusted the reamer to cut a little at a time and made about 4 or 5 passes thru the barrel. Took maybe about 1 1/2 or 2 hours I guess really didn't take very long also the extensions are used in reverse.

It was a CVA wolf rifle with the breech plug removed .The reamer was square on the end and a 1/4 inch socket tool extension fit on it I just kept adding extensions until it was complete also I used the handle that is for turning thread taps to turn it I would not use a power tool .I adjusted the reamer to cut a little at a time and made about 4 or 5 passes thru the barrel. Took maybe about 1 1/2 or 2 hours I guess really didn't take very long also the extensions are used in reverse.
Yah I was thinking 3d printed socket to fit the 3/16 square and the 1/4 square rod and the handle you usually use, this is a tradtions rifle so I'll have to do it as a blind hole, cant remove the breech plug will have to find a way to plug the patent breech so it doesn't chips in there

Latest posts

Back