• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Too much powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, but let's face it, so do a lot of guys who have been at this a while. 🙄

I mean, who wants to brag that they took that buck or turkey with 60 grains of powder when they can say they used 90, 100, or 120 grains?
I think it's the same thing as the middle aged balding guy, with an "unsatisfied" wife, that goes and buys a shiny new red sportscar, or big loud truck that he doesn't need.
MIGHT need some of those BLUE pills some MEN take. haha

I tend to use an equal volume load in shotguns. Usually, I set my measure to 1-ounce for 20-gauge, but I have used 1 1/8-ounce specifically when duck hunting. I have an antique manual that interestingly says, "Generally, use a volume of fine powder equal to 1.24 times (x 100) the bore diameter (in grains), followed by wadding, then the same volume of shot". While this is a guide from one English company, it makes sense. If your 20-gauge is .620 it would be 77-grains powder/shot, .629 would be 78 grains. A .730 (12-gauge) would be 90-grains. Just a "guide" and over 150-year-old "advice" but still a relevant parameter today.

Last edited:
I tried less powder this is 70gr 3f cornmeal buffer 90 gr #6 shot and a thin over shot card. Can was 20 paces from me. I was pressed for time so I gave it the tin can patterning test.
IMG_8912.jpeg

Cornmeal does leave a slightly sweet smell after the shot. Loading for me is as follows
Powder comes from my horn. Cornmeal and shot charge come from paper tubes kept in my bag. Cm goes on top of the powder charge. The shot gets dumped on too of that then the card holds it all in place. Simple and fairly quick too.
I’m going out tuesday to try out the lighter powder charge. Will report after
Kevin
I had. Yorkee that I could harvest an ounce of hair every time I brushed him. I thought mixed with grease this might make a good wad.
Worked great…. Knocked squirrel out of the tree just by the smell.

I had. Yorkee that I could harvest an ounce of hair every time I brushed him. I thought mixed with grease this might make a good wad.
Worked great…. Knocked squirrel out of the tree just by the smell.
I had Norwegian Elkhounds. In the spring when they blew coat, I would end up with grocery bags full of the undercoat. Worked great as cushion wads. However, you could be followed in the woods just by the smell of the burning fur.

I worked up a turkey load for my Brown Bess (.75 cal) last spring. Everyone was saying 2 OZ of shot and 80 grains of 3F. I tried this and . . . WOOF! That was extremely stiff and didn't give me a good pattern. I finally ended up with 1.5 OZ of shot and 60 grains of 3F. My point is that smoothbore has been an eye-opener as to the reliability of other folks' results.

Another thing I've found is that the SkyChief Method is the most reliable way I've found for delivering accurate shot loads if reliable accuracy is what's being called for-- shot loads included. However, I go back to my previous statement: every smoothbore and smoothbore shooter is different. YMMV.

BTW: 1 OZ of #6 and 60 grains of 3F done the Skychief way gave me a great squirrel load.

My advice would be to start low on the powder and work up.

Back