• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

True Grit - 2010

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of being hunted down, tarred and feathered by some(most?) of the forum members, I always thought John Wayne's True Grit one of his lesser movies. Glen Campbell sucked in it. This might very well be one of the few remakes that may be better than the original.

Jeff Bridges just might be able to do it.
Coen bros; quirky tho enticing :hmm:
Redundant....maybe, but I'm in.

I had heard the Coen brothers were making "True Grit". I really liked the original. Glen Campbell's role was the weak part of the movie but everything else was great. I never read the book so don't know how faithful it was to the book.

Considering what they did with "No Country for Old Men" they may do it proud. Jeff Bridges could do well as Rooster Cogburn. He did much better than I thought he would in "Wild Bill". Matt Damon as LeBeouf will be better than Campbell. Jugding by the powder tattoo in the trailer Josh Brolin is the fellow who shot her dad.

I will definitly pick it up when it comes out on DVD.

Apparently Barry Pepper (Sniper from Private Ryan) is playing Lucky Ned Pepper (Duvall character from original).

The Coen Brothers are about the finest film makers out there, I'm looking forward to this.

Naw, to each his own! I may like the remake as it's still a great story. But my favorite will always be the original with John Wayne and Robert Duvall.

I can't wait to see it. The original I like very much, but I couldn't stand Mattie in it. :shake: I think it's sort of for the best that Rooster isn't spinning a '92 in this one. This one looks much more period correct, which is good by me. That 2nd model Dragoon looked nice in the trailer(even if it did look brand new).
So pass the popcorn on X-mas, I'll be seeing it! :applause:

I saw it already, with the Duke. I will not waste my time watching this new one with that bunch in it.
Old Charlie

I'm really looking forward to this actually. The new script was much closer to the original novel and Jeff Bridges is an enjoyable actor.

[I hope this doesen't get me tarred and feathered!]
I think this one looks better than the 1969 version. I thought Mattie almost ruined the first one, thankfully John Wayne and Robert Duvall were in it to hold it together. The new one looks more realistic by far IMHO.
:2

Ben

Kilborn said:
Apparently Barry Pepper (Sniper from Private Ryan) is playing Lucky Ned Pepper (Duvall character from original).

The Coen Brothers are about the finest film makers out there, I'm looking forward to this.

I like just about all of their movies and this one looks like it will be a good'n

btw Glen Campbell? what were they thinking? the original was a mix for me, lots of great cinematography, great story, but there was some pretty weak acting and directing as noted

trivia fact from iMDB: they initially wanted to cast Elvis Presley for the role of LeBoeuf but Col. Tom insisted on top billing

blockhouseben said:
[I hope this doesen't get me tarred and feathered!]
I think this one looks better than the 1969 version. I thought Mattie almost ruined the first one, thankfully John Wayne and Robert Duvall were in it to hold it together. The new one looks more realistic by far IMHO.
:2

Ben
Doggone it! I hadn't noticed I had already said pretty much the same thing earlier. :doh: Oops. :shake: There are alot of True Grit threads on here...guess I got confused. Oh well, no use beating a dead horse. :dead:

The best part of the original movie was that final shoot out on horseback. I don't know if you could do that any better. Other than that I have always thought it really wasn't the Dukes best. Jeff Bridges is good..I'll probably watch when it comes out on dvd.

being a younger feller, i'll say right away that I HAVE SEEN the original classic westerns, and yes, most of them are lightning in a bottle and can never be repeated, but I am excited about this. I like Bridges, Damon is alright, Brolin is great. don't know about the girl though.

maybe they're going to start a trend of remaking classic horse operas, as they've done it before (3:10 to Yuma)

maybe a remake of SHANE or WINCHESTER '73 is around the corner...

I think this new version looks very promising. The girl playing Mattie is a complete unknown; the result of a major nation-wide search on behalf of the Coen's who wanted none of Hollywood's current youth for the role.

As to remakes; a general note. Wayne himself was no stranger to remakes and in fact was in at least two of them. His version of "The Spoilers" was the fourth version of the film, and "3 Godfathers" had already been brought to the screen twice before the famous John Wayne version.

Wayne's version of "True Grit" was a great film. Excellent performances by himself, Duval, and I would like to add a sweet cameo by Strother Martin (who was in all three of that year's big Westerns) and remains one of the most under-rated actors, another cameo by Dennis Hopper, and many others. It was splendidly shot as well, with Colorado standing in for Arkansas and Oklahoma locations. But, sadly it was also a watered down version of the book and still subject to Wayne's own branding. This new version seems to have well...more Grit as far as grittiness goes.

To all the sceptics out there (and I understand why...) remember that no one thought the 93' remake of "Last of the Mohicans" would be anything special either.
Now if someone would do a more historical and/or period correct remake of "Drums Along the Mohawk" or better yet "Northwest Passage" I would be one happy camper!!

Back