Trail tarp advice?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's my 7x7 from Primitive Panther. Plenty big enough for me and my gear at camp. Plus able to rig it a few ways if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Attachments

Yewbender

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Last week my oilskin from the tentsmith arrived. Can’t wait to use it. It was on sale because it is not 8x8, they list it as 8’2” wide by 7’7” long and on sale for $192.00 I just checked the website and they still have it listed. Go to menu and click on sale.

stewart.leach

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I made my tarp tent//plow point tent from a fabric called #30 pocket drill from JoAnn Fabrics. This is an all cotton tightly woven light canvas. Before cutting and sewing fabric was washed and dried twice on hottest machine settings.

Leftover fabric was cut into 6" triangular reinforces for each corner, and center and quarter points on each side. Cut with pinking shears, the reinforces were included in the hems. Fabric was also used to make tie tapes for each corner and center point. Cut strips 30" long by 3'wide, fold edges into center, fold again and sew down middle to get a strip 3/4" wide. Stake loops of this stripping attach at the quarter points.

Joining seams for the panels are the simplest possible: lay two panels one on top of the over, matching edges and sew 3/4" from the side. Unfold, iron both edges to one side, and sew through three layers 1/2" from the first stitching. Selvage edges are folded in once and sewn down, including the reinforcements. Cut edges are folded twice and sewn down.

Any good sewing machine will handle this project. You need large size, heavy duty needles, and UV-resistant heavy duty thread. Ask the sewing store people for help. If you dye it, do individual panels at a time in an enamel ware pot, measuring the dye carefully to get an even shade. My choice for waterproofing is a product called "Cottonpruf", available at REI or online.

Yes, this is a lot of work, but you wind up with an excellent tent that is sturdy but not too heavy,