• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ivwas at a gun show last weekend and one table had a couple Pedersoli flintlock rifles. Nice looking rifles but the price tag!!!! $1300 and more.
I know I can get a new custom flintlock for less. In fact I was admiring one At a black powder shop a few weeks ago. 54 cal, 42" barrel, Chambers lock, single trigger and full length stock. $1100.
It was very tempting but I wasn't fond of the blonde stock.

A bit confused here: you saw some Pedersoli flintlock rifles for sale. Didn't buy one. With respect I gotta ask if there might be more to the story. Or a question. If not, it's nice to know someone carries them in stock. Or was it just a private person?

No need to be confused. I was just stating that I saw them at a gun show. I just saw the price and I don't think they are worth it for a production gun. But that's my opinion.

The Pedersoli's, at least the ones I have are way overpriced for what they are. Not money well spent. Sadly though, for a NIB finished rifle there isn't much in the way of options and what others there are aren't much cheaper or any better.
I've switched over to kits. Working on second Kibler now, nearly the same money or cheaper and no comparison in quality of the rifle. Thinking about trying my hand on a Pecatonia kit later this winter.

The above is referring to flintlocks.

Last edited:
Ivwas at a gun show last weekend and one table had a couple Pedersoli flintlock rifles. Nice looking rifles but the price tag!!!! $1300 and more.
I know I can get a new custom flintlock for less. In fact I was admiring one At a black powder shop a few weeks ago. 54 cal, 42" barrel, Chambers lock, single trigger and full length stock. $1100.
You could always strip and stain the wood; I'm not crazy about 'blond' wood, either. Wonder what type wood it was? Any clue?

I must have lucked out, my Frontier flinter is a looker & a shooter. :)
Mar 19 23 50 yds.jpeg Frontier Flintlock Apr 7th 2022.jpeg

I picked up the pair of these at my LPS a while back, he picked them up at an estate sale along with about 70 others and has been slowly putting them out except for the ones he fell in love with... He too is an avid BP guy, dickered a bit and paid 350 for the flint and had to think about the cap gun for a few days... Didn't want to get greedy... Went back in a few days and the cap gun was still there so I offered the same and now I have matching Pedersoli Pennsylvania Rifles built in 2008 and un-fired until they found their way into my hands... Both are very nice to shoot but I wouldn't have either one if he'd wanted anywhere close to list price for them... I mostly save these for my Co-horts and new shooters to shoot cause I do love my custom builts...

20230707_153212.jpg

My first flinter was a Pedosorry 1803 Harper's. A hunk of junk.
Got 8 shots off, frizzen broke, 10 month Dixie made one for me. They could not get one from The OEM.
Over the next two year several other parts broke, and I replaced them with Rifle Shoppe parts.
When my lady and I spit, she asked it she could have it. I gladly said yes.

Built one a few years later. 20 odd years later, it still works flawlessly.

Get a Kibbler, rest assured it will work every time.

I picked up the pair of these at my LPS a while back, he picked them up at an estate sale along with about 70 others and has been slowly putting them out except for the ones he fell in love with... He too is an avid BP guy, dickered a bit and paid 350 for the flint and had to think about the cap gun for a few days... Didn't want to get greedy... Went back in a few days and the cap gun was still there so I offered the same and now I have matching Pedersoli Pennsylvania Rifles built in 2008 and un-fired until they found their way into my hands... Both are very nice to shoot but I wouldn't have either one if he'd wanted anywhere close to list price for them... I mostly save these for my Co-horts and new shooters to shoot cause I do love my custom builts...

View attachment 268361
Congrats on your buys n to each his/her own. You gave $700 for both, i reckon if your happy that is all that matters.

Good gun to pass up. I got one of those Itaian jobs. A couple of months ago at a Rondevous. I wish I still had my $525.00. Several problems. The barrel had an overboard spot you could feel it when swabbing the bore and when loading it. The touch hole sits in the bottom of the flash pan. And I learned the hard way. When your loading with 3f powder. Close the frizzen so it will self prime. Otherwise you loose most or all your powder. There is a nice gap between the lock bolster and barrel. To capture spilt powder under the lock. I removed the barrel to put in a touchhole liner. And found out a previous owner had broken the tang right through the thin tang screw hole. ( they glued the loose end in to the stock with contact cement). I'm going to see if I can get the lock to work better so it will spark reliable. Ang I'm going to rebarrel it. With a corlian barrel. It will be some work to widen out the barrel channel in the stock. Original was metric width. Now is imperial. It's been on the back burner. While I put together a couple of Kiblers.
So agrivation has made me go get something better. I'm working up my load on a Kibler SMR, and a woods runner is nearring the finishing stage.
So my advice is skip the Pedersoli and. get something of better workmanship. Because not everyone can win at the Pedersoli lottery. And get the good rifle.

I think my Pedersoli Pennsylvania .50 cal was around $650 or $800 back when I bought it from Cabelas. Good shooter, never fails, didn't have to do anything to it and it still is.
I know prices on EVERYTHING has doubled since then.
I got a pair of pure Buffalo Wool gloves for about $50 with shipping, the same place now sells the same gloves for $95 + shipping.

I just saw a beat up, but once looking, .45 cal Percussion at a gun show, don't know the brand - price tag $1700!
Lock was tied up and he wouldn't let me check it, I asked if I can look down the barrel and he said "Not in hear" and turned away....I walked away.
There is a nice brand new flintlock .50 cal at a builder's site for $1700

Pendersoli feels their guns are worth it or more accurately in a post corona world with labor, materials, shipping those prices reflect what they need to sell at to make X profit. I believe many of the gunsmiths are lagging in their price increases so if you are thinking about getting something this is your golden time.

Depends on the rifle you’re looking at.

But i personally don’t like pedersoli rifles.

Rifles need individuality and spirit, i would just as soon make my own then buy a pedersoli rifle.

But their sharps rifles are very nice !

Back