• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions is the "Harbor Freight Tools" of Muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight. I have a number of their tools. For hobby or occasional use they work fine. My compound miter saw has given good service for a number of years. If I was a professional carpenter I’d probably want something better. Comparing Traditions to Harbor Freight isn’t really a bad thing. Decent stuff for a fair price.

Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight. I have a number of their tools. For hobby or occasional use they work fine. My compound miter saw has given good service for a number of years. If I was a professional carpenter I’d probably want something better. Comparing Traditions to Harbor Freight isn’t really a bad thing. Decent stuff for a fair price.
I'm a professional wrench turner. I have an $8k Macsimizer tool chest loaded with Blue Point, older Craftsman, some Carlyle, and some Snap on stuff. Almost a year ago now I picked up HF Icon 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive ratchets and make a point of grabbing them each time I need a ratchet just to see how they hold up. So far, not even a hint of trouble. And at a fraction of the tool truck price. HF doesn't necessarily equate to junk.

Gotta say, Traditions is still in the business of serving the old school muzzleloading community while dozens of others have dropped us.

Those who started in the 60's remember some of the guns offered through the next 20 years (70's & 80's). Some were classics, others bordered on just barely shootable, but we had a good assortment to choose from. The choices today are simply small in number for the person who wishes to enjoy muzzleloading without spending a whole lot of dough,

Similarly, Lee molds work. They stand behind their products and, if you look at their entire product line, they're not afraid to try new bullet designs. $35 for a Lee .58 minie mold still in production vs a $100 RCBS set of blocks no longer made? Uh ...decision based on what I've got money to spend, not on what I want.

I have Ideal molds from the 20's. I have Lyman molds from the 30's. i have custom molds and which molds sit on my bench next to the LEE pot? LEE.
I don't have any Traditions. purely because i have never seen one in my used gun market. but if i did see one for my price comfort range it would sit right next to my CVA's, Thompson Centers, Investarms, Richland, Ardesa, Pedersoli, and customs. yeah i am a snob when it comes to Muzzleloaders. I love them all!

Last edited:
The one thing about this game is that people of all incomes can play the game. Some go top dollar some go with what they can afoard. I have been to rendezvous where a couple with an old beat up van and a highly patched tent will set up next to a couple with a new tent and an expensive RV that they park in the parking lot so they have air conditioning. Yet they sit around the campfire and share their food and drinks.

Traditions is an entry level gun at an entry level price. Several members here have shown that the Traditions guns shoot very well and are mechanically reliable. When I started in this hobby, my entry level gun was a CVA, it did what I wanted it to do for 25 yrs...Both brands are/were quality functional products.

Though your comparison to Harbor Freight is accurate, your wording is condescending (whether that wording is accidental or purposeful is not yet known).

I like Traditions and Harbor Freight. This gun will shoot cloverleaf groups at 50 yards and didn’t break the bank.
6DA00C3C-BE49-440A-9B24-0011F290F265.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back