• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Traditions is the "Harbor Freight Tools" of Muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd calling Traditions cheap when a few of the TOP over priced muzzleloader kits are produced in the same CNC automation milling fashion.

I have no issue with Traditions. They work. They make people happy.

That said the above statement is incorrect. Traditions metal parts are investment cast and minimally finished. There is no comparison to the "overpriced" kit that was referred to . The comparison is like saying a Yugo is the same as a Rolls Royce. Only one kit maker is currently producing CNC locks and wood. They are a quantum leap foreword in quality over all others.

Don't know why anyone feels the need to denigrate a , (i find) , pretty accurate and reliable muzzle loader , just because it did not cost over a grand !! Me , i like my Pedersoli , T/Cs , and my traditions , NONE of which cost me that much , but shoot better than i do !! I have looked at your comment from several angles , and consider a back-hand compliment to both Harbor Freight and traditions !!! May they both prosper !!!

I love my Traditions Crockett rifle, but once I get it fully configured and tuned up to my satisfaction, I'm going to be posting a litany of the things I needed to do to it in order to make up for what seems to me to be unnecessarily sloppy stock and assembly work. And please don't give me the usual responses of "That's what you have to expect for the price," etc. I'm fully cognizant of those sorts of price trade-offs. Hey, I own Chinese musical instruments -- and fix/upgrade them too. :) But I still think that Traditions could have done a LOT better job with VERY LITTLE (if any) difference in cost. In come cases it honestly looks like they just don't sharpen or replace their cutters until it's way too late. And yeah, I know that even sharpening cutters takes time and money. But that doesn't excuse EVERY bit of sloppiness you might be encouraging or tolerating.

Yea but a YUGO has a 100,000 mile warranty- When you see a machined snap together rifle for 3 grand VS 500$ assembly my statement stands-

Cast or rolled plate & bar stock it still has to be machined- Gun stocks are cut on machines & have been for decades

Nothing more frustrating than having a guy next to you on the shooting line bragging about his genuine custom rifle then it misfires every other shot cause the youtube videos he learned from can't be questioned.

Buy what you can afford-Beware the man with one gun

I won a lot of matches with a CVA Hunter Hawken

Ive worked with a lot of custom built guns and what I've learned.... buyer beware! A lot of hidden mistakes, cracks, chips, triggers shoved up into lock sears. I personally wouldn't touch custom made unless I was able to disassemble it and look it over close. I had the pleasure of fixing these guns and they were all well know builders.

Their barrels are accurate, but the overall quality is best described as cheap.
My opinions are not always the best, but I say what I say honestly. Besides, I'm past the age of trying to figure out who will piss the farthest......
So here's what I think of traditional firearms (Jukar, Dikar, Ardesa and Traditions Firearms: the same Spanish manufacture and the same factories).
The modern woods often come from Turkey, the barrels and assembly from Spain.
This results in relatively cheap guns, but one thing is certain: they are of good quality for the price.
I personally own two old rifles of this and shooting all weeks : Pennsylvania (Ardesa flintlock rifle) and an old "mountain rifle" (Jukar percussion rifle over 50 years old), and they are very good.
Except for the wood, these two rifles are as good as my three Pedersoli.
Granted, the wood isn't as rich, the fit isn't as good, and they are a bit "spartan".
Never broken, inexpensive, reliable: I consider these guns as the best for the beginning.......... after the beginning is another story (and not absolutely sure for a lot of people)...
So I always said : low cost but pretty fine and good stuff...

Their barrels are accurate, but the overall quality is best described as cheap.
Thank you for sharing your opinion I'm sure it may be of benefit to someone , who ????? I have no clue.
Gotta run now the Grand Opening of our new harbor freight is today, no more driving to the next town for emergency tools 😉

Don't buy the "Bauer" drywall screwdriver. I'm pretty sure that "bauer" is Chinese for "bursts into flame", although it's identical to the German term for "farmer". :)
Took 3 HF grinders to cut 2 12" holes in My old gunsmithing shop made from a sea container. Talk about smoke when they died!!

I have a bunch of drill and taps from HF that continue to be used for gun work.

BTW Chinese translation of Bauer is "boo-haoww!"

Not goodBoo haowwbu4hao3不好

My favorite Traditions?
The flinter Shenandoah that's .46 caliber to shoot revolver ball?
Or the flinter Deerhunter with the 31" long shoothbore octagonal to round barrel?
Or the "scary black rifle" scoped percussion Deerhunter with the wooden stock painted black by the factory?

Let me think on it. I'll get back to yall on that.

The owners of Harbor Freight laugh all the way to the bank just as Sears and Roebuck did for generations of Craftman Tools and Sears own brand of house hold major appliances. I miss Sears and Roebucks and their service department.
Are Fess tools that much superior……?

I bought a Traditions Deerhunter last year , knowing absolutely nothing about BP shooting. I got it for under $300 shipped . Zero complaints and happy as can be. I'm hooked now, currently working on a Traditions Kentucky rifle flintlock kit. If such a low price option wasn't available I would have never got into the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back