• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions is the "Harbor Freight Tools" of Muzzleloading?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with the hating poor people line. Just because someone may prefer to buy better quality gear, has no bearing on who he may like or dislike. I don't fault someone who can't afford better than Traditions, but at the same time, I feel Traditions produces low quality firearms as compared to others. I don't see how this can be construed as being elitist.

The same could be said the other way as well, People that can't afford better guns must hate those who can afford better!. Looked at another way, it's noone's fault that someone else can or cannot afford something.
Scratch that... Cabin fever is getting the better of me and I've been a bit prickly lately.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the hating poor people line. Just because someone may prefer to buy better quality gear, has no bearing on who he may like or dislike. I don't fault someone who can't afford better than Traditions, but at the same time, I feel Traditions produces low quality firearms as compared to others. I don't see how this can be construed as being elitist.

The same could be said the other way as well, People that can't afford better guns must hate those who can afford better!. Looked at another way, it's noone's fault that someone else can or cannot afford something.
the older you get you start to realize most rich people either stole or inherited their money. 100's of billions stolen in the covid relief money 100's of billions stolen in iraq and afghan that is just the tip of the iceberg. go to Boca Raton Fla. you think you landed on another planet

the older you get you start to realize most rich people either stole or inherited their money.
Quite a claim. But it kind of depends on what you mean by "rich". When I was a kid we never thought of ourselves as "poor," but we certainly weren't rich. My father was a salesman and my mother was a (typical) stay at home mom. My sister never went to college but worked her way through nursing school into a long-term career as a critical care nurse, investing in real estate bit by bit along the way with her husband who worked in manual labor of different sorts. Now in their 70s, they're definitely "well off" although pretty frugal with it. For me -- since my parents couldn't afford it -- college meant scholarships combined with work-study and loans (all paid back), and other part-time work. I went through a very demanding college and worked 20 hours a week while doing that (plus full time summers and vacations). Graduate school was the same: assistantships and fellowships plus working on a farm in my "spare time" and summers and all vacations. My wife, the same way. We've never thought of ourselves as "rich", but a lot of people might think that way about us. We're certainly "comfortable." Never inherited anything. There was nothing to inherit.

I don't think I'm alone in this -- or unusual in any way, or remarkable.

Some people inherit money. Some people inherit a lot of money. That doesn't make them evil, although it may make them lucky. If you'd earned a lot of money over your lifetime, I bet you'd want to pass it on to your kids and their kids. There's something wrong with that? Exactly what kind of governmental, political, and social philosophy do you think it takes to support the view that there's something wrong with that? We all know the names of those philosophies, don't we?

My son worked his own way (with support from his company over a decade) to a B.S. in computer science. He's what I would regard as "pretty wealthy" now -- from his own labor. No inheritance. Again, not unusual. All of the people who ever worked for me or for whom I worked are the same -- and many of those people would be regarded as "rich" by many likely reading this.

So "most rich people either stole or inherited their money"? I don't think so. I have no data to support that. It appears to be total nonsense.

SPQR70AD said:
100's of billions stolen in the covid relief money 100's of billions stolen in iraq and afghan that is just the tip of the iceberg. go to Boca Raton Fla. you think you landed on another planet
Yes, there are a number of criminals around. A lot of them are to be found in government or working the policies of government to their own (illegal) ends. But you can't get from there to "most rich people either stole or inherited their money". You just can't. If you really think you can, maybe you've gotten a little too old. You're a few years younger than me, so I don't know. 😂

the older you get you start to realize most rich people either stole or inherited their money. 100's of billions stolen in the covid relief money 100's of billions stolen in iraq and afghan that is just the tip of the iceberg. go to Boca Raton Fla. you think you landed on another planet
Unfounded, unsubstantiated, class based, divisive dribble...Shameful.

I made a comment here last night that I ended up editing back out a few minutes after I posted it. But I've been thinking on this. A thread with a title and first post such as this, I don't see any purpose to other than to randomly offer up insult to those who shoot Traditions MLs and shop at HF. In the context of someone asking opinions on Traditions MLs, the statement made would be taken as someone's opinion on the subject and not a big deal. But here, we have someone sitting in the back of the room decided to just throw rocks for no apparent reason other than to be noticed. Can I interest you in a cookie? A participation trophy perhaps? It's a "drive-by" thread, in the same spirit of the term "drive-by media" as coined by Rush.

But here we are, 8 pages deep and we see class warfare, haves vs have-nots type comments. All started by a drive-by poster who made a thread with a pointless statement that nobody asked for. Guess the cabin fever is rampant this year

I think that the word hate is used too often in our modern language. It's used often and not meant, but gives the impression of wanting to hurt or denigrate somebody or some thing. Often used out of lack of proper knowledge of language . It's a totally negative word.

I think that the word hate is used too often in our modern language. It's used often and not meant, but gives the impression of wanting to hurt or denigrate somebody or some thing. Often used out of lack of proper knowledge of language . It's a totally negative word.
Some years ago I went to a talk by George Lakoff (an empirical linguist who turned into a cognitive scientist over the years). I'd met him many years previously when I was a graduate student. He's a smart guy and has written some great books (including "Where Does Mathematics Come From?" and "Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things"). He's also uber-liberal, as you'd expect pretty much any academic at UC/Berkeley to be. He's served in partisan politics as a political consultant, and now is sometimes referred to as a "sociolinguist" or "political advisor".

One of the main focuses of his talk was that "If you control the vocabulary -- and the meanings of terms -- you control the thinking, the logic, and the conclusions" (my paraphrase at this point in time). One of our political parties has become a master of this. The other tends to just get beat up by it and respond by talking louder and repeating the same things. I believe they've actually lost elections because of this.

An example of this is the shift in the meaning and use of "hate" -- which has come about purely in the political arena, but now infects every context so that it's controlling how certain things are expressed, and distorting that in some quite intentional ways. It works. And too many people are just accepting of it. If you don't think this is carefully planned, then you're not paying attention.

This is an approach that embraces CHANGING "the proper knowledge of language" by CHANGING THE LANGUAGE. It's an effective strategy, and you can see it, hear it, read it, in "news" presentations every day. And too often it passes unchallenged -- especially by those who are precisely the targets of it.

About the only thing I really hate in the world today is the cancer that took my wife years ago. Many things I truly despise and would have them changed if I could, but I know that this is unrealistic so I try not to let it or them get a lot of rent free time in my head. Cancer, well, that is something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back