• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need tools?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Complete noob here with respect to muzzle loading.

Never been much of a gunsmith. Can build my own AR and adjust it is about my level. Never drilled into a gun. Never tried to slick up a revolver. Paid very nice professionals for that in the past.

Anywoo, I sense that that is going to change if I continue with this insanity.

Currently have a colt gen 2, colt gen 3, 2 new Pietta 1851, and a new traditions deerhunter.

Almost out of cash but have around 90 buck left in my empty mad money bucket.

Expecting my next purchases to be a flintlock and a shotgun.

Ok, with that said, I think I need a couple of punches from harbor freight, same fabric from walmart or the thrift shop, and some "colt screwdrivers"

Looking at the wheeler 43 piece, grace 3 piece, Brownell 4 piece. Leaning towards Brownell 4 piece for 30. Or should i just buy the bits?

Any wisdom is appreciated. Got a pretty thick skin so blast away as they say.

Regards,

Wheelman

Still haven't shot one yet.

I have the large wheeler screwdriver set. It’s worth every penny I paid for it.

Bought a Grace Set on a group buy 20 odd years ago.
Everyone still works as good as the day I got them.
Those they say Marlin on them. They work on everything.

I do not use these on my flintlock. I have a Pickering tool for that.

Sorry, I was referring to the Grace.

So buy the biggest Wheeler gunsmith set I can get?

That doesn't sound like a bad plan.

I ordered a nipple tool for the revolvers. Not sure if I need a different one for the rifle. I will hopefully know this Friday.

Also, thinking of getting a musket cap nipple for the rifle as I only have limited percussion caps but can find musket caps. From what I have read, that should be ok. Please let me know if this is a bad idea.

Wheelman

Everything on a period correct FL and most all traditional ML will be stndard slot screws. No hex, Allens, Phillips, torx. So the "large" Wheeler set may be overkill. But if you are building ARs too, the set may come in handy.

I've got two sets of Grace screwdrivers. Nothing at all wrong with them. Now, the brass punches that came with the one set are another story, very soft and the thin ones bend real easy. Plus, the heads squash out easily. The screwdrivers, yes. Their punches, no.

I have the Wheeler set. Had a Chapman, but broke most of the bits. Maybe the Chapman bits were a little too hard,but the Wheeler bits have been good.

I started with a small set of turnscrew bits from Brownells and expanded the set over the years.
Punches? I have bent some that were part of a cheap set. Bought quality ones after that.
A good set of dedicated cleaning rods, not wood that can and will break. Plenty of cleaning patches too.
This is just a start but you will see a need to add on in the future.

You'll find out soon enough that all slotted screws are not the same. Some are tapered. Although an ordinary screwdriver will fit the top of the slot, it will not go in far enough to get a good purchase on the screw. Put even a modicum of force and it's "Buggered Up Screw Time". Get the best set of gunsmith screwdrivers you can afford and never, ever let the wife use them.

Once wives find out how well those screwdrivers work, well.....good luck.

@Wheelman, you will need a nipple wrench sized for rifles. Those nipples are slightly larger than the nipplies sized for a revolver.

You may find that you will have to grind some bits (hollow ground) from any set to get a proper fit for your slotted screws.

Latest posts

Back