• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch hole position.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not asking what the ideal position of the touch hole is, I'm simply asking whether most of you would accept this or immediately change it. Without telling the whole story, how many of you would be OK with this touch-hole position (or at least test fire it before deciding to make changes)? How many would presume that it's not ideal and would immediately drill and tap for a larger touch hole liner to "fix it"? Just curious.......

touch hole liner.jpg

It's not ideal, but if it works I would leave it alone. Touchholes can be a little off center and have no difficulty or lag in igniting the main charge.

I HAVE a rifle that had an off center vent, and it was a PITA from the getgo. The vent was too close to the breechplug as I discovered AFTER I enlarged the hole in the liner several times, and had coned it on the outside. When I removed the liner to replace it, I was able to relieve the BP face a little. The replacement liner vent is 1/16", but the real fix was widening the pan to better have the vent centered.

To answer the question, I would try widening the pan towards the rear first(with a replacement liner already installed).

Last edited:
I bought several TCs new in the box on line and every one of them had a similar touch hole position from the factory. I sent one back that had the touch hole in the back corner, TC said there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back to me. The lock was installed with hot melt glue to shim it out to the correct position, shoddy workmanship all the way around. I swore I would never own a TC again but have ended up with two more Hawkens percussion guns since that are early guns and well made. One is well made because it is a Kit gun that I put it together, the other is a stock that I put a GM barrel on.

I'd go with widening the rear of the pan. To me plugging the hole and re drilling for a new touch hole seems like it would cause more trouble than it's worth.

I don't know if I would fool with it until you shoot it. I think it will be OK. The key is to not use too much powder.

No I would not accept it. If you are stuck with it then the couple fixes mentioned above would work.

Back