• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How long before a touch hole needs replaced ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has worn out a touch hole liner and has had to replace it ? Not so much on an older well used gun but, one that started off new. I would it would take several hundred shots if not more. -Thanks

I changed one out on a gun I bought used. Not sure how many shots it had before I got it, but after several hundred shots by me, it started blowing a cloud of 3F out the vent when ramming a ball down. It was made of some type of brass or bronze so maybe wore prematurely.

I would say when the hole gets too big, thats when I would change it.
Mine has been in since 2005 and I shoot several hundred rounds a year.

I opened my touch hole up to get faster ignition. The rifle became self-priming and the previous accuracy was gone. I replaced the touch hole liner and all is good now. But I did not shoot so much that I wore the liner out.

I opened my touch hole up to get faster ignition. The rifle became self-priming and the previous accuracy was gone. I replaced the touch hole liner and all is good now. But I did not shoot so much that I wore the liner out.
I made my own of A-2 high chrome tool steel which should be good at erosion resistance in the annealed state but time will tell. Flash hole liners need to be left annealed so they can be struck off flush with the barrel flat and easily drilled/easy outed when needing change out.
The A-2 would not doubt last longer if it could be used in the hardened state but they really are pretty easy to machine so that the extra work in fitting up a hardened liner, although possible, is not really practical in my opinion.

I experienced the touch hole burn out thing back in the late 1970's. I had a home built flint longrile w/ .50 cal. 44" Getz barrel on it. The barrel was a tack driver , and I was doing a lot of competition shooting w/it. During a practice session , I noticed the accuracy changed to unacceptable open grouping , and not my fault. Talked to my "go to" expert , and he told me to ck the touch hole size. I replaced the touch hole , and recrowned away the wood r/r wear from the muzzle , and all was well again. These things you hear about , but seldom experience , unless the rifle is used a lot.

I experienced the touch hole burn out thing back in the late 1970's. I had a home built flint longrile w/ .50 cal. 44" Getz barrel on it. The barrel was a tack driver , and I was doing a lot of competition shooting w/it. During a practice session , I noticed the accuracy changed to unacceptable open grouping , and not my fault. Talked to my "go to" expert , and he told me to ck the touch hole size. I replaced the touch hole , and recrowned away the wood r/r wear from the muzzle , and all was well again. These things you hear about , but seldom experience , unless the rifle is used a lot.
Always make and use a muzzle crown protector especially with wood or fiberglass loading rods. This will save your crown almost indefinitely. I make them of both HDPE or brass with a collar and body that extends down bore about an inch. This prevents any abrasive action on the all important crown corner.

Interesting! I don't have a touch hole liner on any of my guns! I sure don't put thousands of rounds thru any of them, and that might make a difference. But I sure put hundreds of rounds thru them, and I've experienced no problems. Keep it clean!!

Interesting! I don't have a touch hole liner on any of my guns! I sure don't put thousands of rounds thru any of them, and that might make a difference. But I sure put hundreds of rounds thru them, and I've experienced no problems. Keep it clean!!
Yeah, folks tend to exaggerate round count shot in single shot muzzle loaders but one can run up some pretty impressive round counts with percussion revolvers !
Even when shooting the match circuit monthly one will generally not shoot over 50- 60 rounds per match including sighters and practice rounds. One will shoot twice or three times that much in territorial or national three -five day matches but they are annual events.
At 50 rounds per month it takes years to go through 10K and I have never known anyone to consistently shoot 50 shots per week every week of the year with a single shot muzzle loader..
I've never worn out a flash hole but have plenty of nipples which is what I have used for most of the last 50 years.
I'm really curious to find out how quickly my A-2 tool steel liners erode.

Just curious if anyone has worn out a touch hole liner and has had to replace it ? Not so much on an older well used gun but, one that started off new. I would it would take several hundred shots if not more. -Thanks
It's time to change the vent when the guy shooting next to you keels over and flops around on the ground like a freshly gaffed Halibut in the bottom of a boat ! 😄

I have a touch hole liner, but its flat head screwdriver groove is worn out to the point that I'm gonna need to drill it out to change it. So I'm not changing it until I HAVE to.

Has anyone had luck using a left handed drill bit to remove one of these, or(when I HAVE to) should I just buy an easy out?

I've never had to change out an old liner and install a new liner. I do have one rifle, however, that may eventually be a candidate for a fresh liner. Yes, it's been fired a lot but that's not the problem. I think that at some point it was maybe too vigorously "picked" a few times. Still it's likely years away.

I still have no idea of why have a touch hole liner (Not a joke here) enlighten me please? I don't believe any of my have one .
That's a good question as no original newly made guns had them unless platinum lined high end models like Purdy. My guess is it's more of a fad then anything else in modern guns bespeaking of quality.

I still have no idea of why have a touch hole liner (Not a joke here) enlighten me please? I don't believe any of my have one .
A replaceable part is always a plus in my opinion. It also gives you options to try different sized holes without permeant alterations. A liner is usually made of stronger and more rust resistant stainless steel. Likely the biggest reason is the patent breech in most productions guns, which create a thicker barrel wall and a liner design get more powder closer to the touch hole .

That's a good question as no original newly made guns had them unless platinum lined high end models like Purdy. My guess is it's more of a fad then anything else in modern guns bespeaking of quality.
Doubt it's a "fad", I believe they've been in use in some capacity , at least by the British, since the mid 1700's. They are not a modern invention.

Back