• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tick treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's that time of year ,
thank God the weather is getting nice and warm, trees are blooming, grass is growing, hillside are nice and green,

Came back from the shooting range this morning , talk about a 2-mile walk,
And over the next 4 minutes removed about 20 ticks from my pant legs and Boots.

Time to start carrying the tick treatment,
I have not found very much insect repellent that ever actually works but I carry a little bottle of diesel fuel just a tiny dab of this will put an end to a tick, just a tiny dab of it on them,

Used to carry a little box of matches because people taught me you have to burn ticks to make sure they're dead but just a dab of diesel fuel seems to be the safest way to end them.

Little bit of medical equipment that's easy to carry ,
carry some after bite,
Do carry a bit of repellent because the mosquitoes are starting to come out , some parachute cord for creating a tourniquet,
and a saw blade for removing bigger limbs like legs and arms that can't be quickly chopped off with a knife such as toes and fingers can be.

IMG_20240516_095946.jpg

Last edited:
Have seen a tick crawling on new snow on a winter day. Make no assumption about seasonality. Neighbor lady used a deer stand on the edge of my property. Saw her at the end of the day and she was covered. Looked like someone had shaken pepper all over her.
I do not hunt the woods any more. Stay to meadows/grasslands. Seems the little sobs aren't so bad there. Better: Hunt waterfowl off boats or duckblinds. So far no evidence that ticks swim.

Go online and find a small kit of tiny tick removal tools. They look like miniature crowbars. It's best to use a clothing treatment called Permethrin from the Walmart , or Tractor Supply store. If your not near a medical facility , and get a tick bite , might be good to carry a couple Doxycycline tabs , which is the standard antibiotic administered after a tick has been removed. One thing not to do , is squash the tick's abdomen trying to remove it. This squeezes the poison into your body. Use a tick removal tool , apply an antiseptic to the wound , then a doxycycline tablet.

Go online and find a small kit of tiny tick removal tools. They look like miniature crowbars. It's best to use a clothing treatment called Permethrin from the Walmart , or Tractor Supply store. If your not near a medical facility , and get a tick bite , might be good to carry a couple Doxycycline tabs , which is the standard antibiotic administered after a tick has been removed. One thing not to do , is squash the tick's abdomen trying to remove it. This squeezes the poison into your body. Use a tick removal tool , apply an antiseptic to the wound , then a doxycycline tablet.
Thank you for information I put my finger over the diesel fuel bottle and upended and then just dab a bit of diesel on the suckers and they let go no matter how much they've done again

Man, I’m glad I don’t have to deal with ticks like some of you do. We have them but not like what is described here. They show up on the dogs, I check them regularly. Couple of years ago we were hunting off a boat at a very large lake. My buddy spots a buck, we beach the boat and he takes his shot and hammers the deer. It was 140 yards straight up to the deer and then basically a controlled slide back down to the shoreline. We started to field dress the buck and the ticks started crawling out of the skin, hundreds of em, never seen anything like that prior when dressing an animal.

Couple of yrs ago , I hunted an afternoon in a ladder stand for deer. Was only 100 yds. behind a friends back yard. Ten o'clock that night , felt an irritation in my eye. Found a tiny tick embedded mixed in with my eyelashes. Couldn't believe it. Dr. at the ER removed the little SOB w/one of the miniature crowbar tick removers. They work , and I got my own now.

Couple of yrs ago , I hunted an afternoon in a ladder stand for deer. Was only 100 yds. behind a friends back yard. Ten o'clock that night , felt an irritation in my eye. Found a tiny tick embedded mixed in with my eyelashes. Couldn't believe it. Dr. at the ER removed the little SOB w/one of the miniature crowbar tick removers. They work , and I got my own now.
😕
Little things like that really ruin your whole day.

dab of diesel fuel on him would have saved you a trip to the ER

I was talking to a fellow member on the phone the other day, he was telling me when he operated heavy equipment, and was handling diesel fuel a lot ticks stayed away from him.

When I was in the military, I knew a guy that would wear panty hose down range. We would tease the bejesus out of him, but he never got ticks or chiggers on his lower extremities. He also drank a shot of vinegar every day. He said it kept skeeters away. I'll stick with permetherin. Not judging.

Yep, a dab of diesel fuel in the eyes is good thing 😵‍💫. Keep moving, nothing to see here.
Not in your eye, just take a q-tip and just dab it right on them you don't have to touch yourself with the diesel fuel, and it makes the little sucker start kicking and running every which way they can .
like I said it it brings about an end to them real quick

Back