• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Three knives of the longhunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I got some info from my friend Ken Hamilton, in regards to my quote above about about the '3 knives' ... and I had it wrong, it was the Natives who used the 3 and the French Canadiens copied them.

"They THINK the quote is from "Jolicoeur Charles Bonin", as the passage is only signed JCB, as based on the surviving records of fort personnel at Ft. Duquesne. The entire narrative was never signed by the guys actual name, and only ever as the initials of "JCB". So French Canadian historian Rene' Chartrand figured this out. His narrative (a full book!) also includes Native customs, clothing descriptions, techniques and his canoe trip to Detroit and Michilimackinac.

He, like other period writers, is not exactly technically perfect in their descriptions of native observations, although usually waaaaaaay better and more curious than most English writers. So, we have to look at JCB's writings with our modern ethno-anthro-historian 'glasses' on, plus some common sense and practical lessons learned from our living history.

Here is the real Quote: "When the Natives go to war, they are armed with their guns, hatchets and knives. They usually have three knives: one hung at the collar around one's neck, one through the sash, and a third alongside the leg, on the outside of the garter. The Canadians do the same; all of this by precaution or security measures."

[KH - What the heck did he exactly mean by this last statement? Who knows?]"

[KH - What the heck did he exactly mean by this last statement? Who knows?]"
I'm thinking redundancy. A knife through in the sash is probably the handiest, but also easy to loose by being pushed up and out, or falling down and through. The leg mounted knife seems pretty handy to draw, but maybe not to return, and again, possibly easy to loose. I do find the qualifier, "on the outside of the garter," interesting. The neck slung knife, assuming that like most Natives we are talking a full size knife that stays in its deep sheath by virtue of its weight and balance instead of form fitted friction, most likely needs two hands to draw because the sheath may want to move with the knife (the sheath not being fast to anything), but may be the hardest to loose.
"Two is one and one is none," so why not add a third? 😆

Flint62Smoothie,

which one of Rene Chartrand's books is this ? Please
I'd like to read/have this book

Flint62Smoothie - which one of Rene Chartrand's books is this ? Please, I'd like to read/have this book
I forget ... Ken sent me this too, but I haven't read it yet, see if that answer's your question.

Article = French Knives in North America, Boucheron - Gladysz & Hamilton 2012, by permission of the Author

Attachments

• French Knives in North America, Boucheron - Gladysz & Hamilton 2012.pdf
    932.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back