• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on SPAM "meat"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In our elk camp, one supper is called "Spam Night" and it's eaten w/o complaint......in fact it's relished by some. Lately I buy the low sodium variety for use when I'm too lazy to cook.

Hawaiians love Spam and have eaten tons of it since the Army first introduced it in rations during WW11 and naturally some of it got to the street and caught on.

Spam is stocked on the shelves of most food stores, so evidently the Hawaiians aren't the only eaters of Spam....although I'm amazed that the Hawaiians haven't cornered the market. THERE IS A TON OF SPAM AVAILABLE IN HI! SOME STORES RUN A "SPECIAL" ON CANS OF SPAM AND HAVE DISPLAYS OF SPAM CANS LOADED ON PALLETS. I DIDN'T CARE FOR SPPAM AT ALL UNTIL WE MOVED TO HAWAII WHERE I LEARNED TO REALLY LIKE IT. IT'S NOT FOR EVERYBODY, OF COURSE.

My only complaint w/ the standard Spam is that it's way too salty and not because of any health problem, but because of my taste. The low sodium variety solves that problem nicely.

But for some gourmets, even the thought of Span is abhorrent.....but, how many have actually tried it? Here's my favorite Spam recipe and it's sure to please.

Dice the Spam, add diced green peppers and onions, garlic and soften in a frying pan and then add store bought diced hash brown potatoes. Proportions are dependent on ones taste......Fred

Spam is the handiest and most versatile of the already prepared meats ...eg.... wieners, bologna, a lot of "off the shelf" sausages, cooked ham slices and the canned meats.

As I said...I buy the "Spam Lite" which has much less salt than the regular Spam and 2 days ago I cooked a commercial brand of mac and cheese and added onions and Spam Lite and it tasted good and satisfied my yearning for a substantial meal....."artificial" cheese and all.

Since the death of my wife a year ago, I do a lot of cooking and once in awhile take a breather w/ meals that incorporate Spam Lite and so far have not been disappointed.....Fred

Actually, I tried a small piece before I fried it up. It simply tasted like soggy SPAM.
:idunno:

Black Hand is right, a dry cured ham won't spoil, BUT where I am I didn't feel like buying a dry cured ham when spending $2.50 for a can, that if I don't open it simply goes home to the shelf, was more appealing.

I'm Scottish, you see....,

LD

Though I can fry bacon almost any way folks like it, our family always preferred frying it extremely crisp to almost burnt.

I slice Spam very thin and fry it that way as a common substitute for Bacon and enjoy it often. I also use it in Spam/LT's (instead of BLT's) at home and at events.

Every so often here in Virginia, you can still find an old Country Grocery store where they sell large Country Bologna, other Cold Cuts, and Cheeses and all that they will cut to order. Our unit used to buy a couple loaves of bread at the store and then order a half inch slice of Bologna or some other cold cut and a quarter inch slice of our favorite cheese for lunch at least on Saturdays. I would buy a fresh onion, one or two LARGE Dill Pickles, a fresh tomato or two and slice them up back in camp, for anyone who wished to add them to their sandwich. Man that was great eating after I added some brown mustard.

Gus

Canned meat, a little salty, a little unusual flavor compared to ham, easy to use in dozens of ways, but seventeen pages worth???? Well three weeks till spring.

Cold makes ice, ice is water that can't flow downstrean or into the water table. If your water table is as high as mine this year and you have as much snow and ice as I do, and you're a flatlander, you better be building a boat. Cause floods a coming.

Cold makes ice, ice is water that can't flow downstrean or into the water table. If your water table is as high as mine this year and you have as much snow and ice as I do, and you're a flatlander, you better be building a boat. Cause floods a coming.
I have between 2 and 3 feet of snow in the yard...

Don’t know how much it works out in your neck of the woods. Here with our wet snows we get about an inch of water per foot. It takes a lot of snow to wet the ground with our thirsty limestone base. Flood and mud on Monday is dry on Tuesday and drought on wendsday here.

Well, the climate changed many, Many, MANY times since the Earth formed and a whole lot since Homo Sapiens have walked the planet. Will never forget the expert scientists who said we would be in an Ice Age by the year 2,000. Then the global warming folks got embarrassed when we had 7 or 8 years of cooling. One of their gifted and well publicized Morons has recently said we will all be dead in 12 years from it.

However, basic SPAM has not seemed to have changed in the 60 plus years I remember eating it. Nowadays, I do buy the Lite Spam for less salt, but don't buy the newer different flavors of Spam after I tried the Bacon Flavor.

Gus

Then the global warming folks got embarrassed when we had 7 or 8 years of cooling. One of their gifted and well publicized Morons has recently said we will all be dead in 12 years from it.
If the "global warming folks" you refer to were "embarrassed" by 7-8 years of cooling, they didn't understand climate change. And yes, I'll agree, there are well-publicized "morons" that still don't understand science. Which is why evidence should be examined rather than listening to purveyors of hot air and nonsense that couldn't discern science if it ran through their living-room wearing a pink unitard and singing Yankee Doodle Dandy...

Last edited:
Well, the climate changed many, Many, MANY times since the Earth formed and a whole lot since Homo Sapiens have walked the planet. Will never forget the expert scientists who said we would be in an Ice Age by the year 2,000. Then the global warming folks got embarrassed when we had 7 or 8 years of cooling. One of their gifted and well publicized Morons has recently said we will all be dead in 12 years from it.

However, basic SPAM has not seemed to have changed in the 60 plus years I remember eating it. Nowadays, I do buy the Lite Spam for less salt, but don't buy the newer different flavors of Spam after I tried the Bacon Flavor.

Gus

Clintons vice pres was one of the Morons

Clintons vice pres was one of the Morons
He has the right idea (Climate change IS happening and humans are a significant factor) but the overly-politicized agenda works against any good that might result.
To deny that climate change is happening is to ignore the evidence that is there for all to see. Just because a person doesn't comprehend the science or refuses to accept the science in no way invalidates the fact that climate change is happening and humans are a significant factor...

Thinking of just civilization history, about six thousand years, or up to thirteen thousand if we count Gobli Tepie in Anatolia (Turkey) as ‘civilization’ we have had several times much warmer then today. Just a thousand years ago Greenland was more like Scotland, and England raised prize Grapes.
Frankly I have no objections to pseudo meat, or even lab grown meat, I would try a vegan spam without prejudice. I’ve enjoyed more then one black bean burger. However as yet I’ve not had any vegan dish that rivals the meat it supposed to replace. That’s not to say it ain’t good, just no where near as good as meat. They do make good side dishes:).
Every few years my pants shrink too much and I have to loose a bit of belly. Nothing works as well as ****/Adkins/Paleo diet for me. 1800 calories of meat fat eggs and cheese with a few leafy greens leaves me full. At the same time I feel hungry on 2000+ calories of high veggie diet. I could never stay happy on stuff you feed food.

Thinking of just civilization history, about six thousand years, or up to thirteen thousand if we count Gobli Tepie in Anatolia (Turkey) as ‘civilization’ we have had several times much warmer then today. Just a thousand years ago Greenland was more like Scotland, and England raised prize Grapes.
Frankly I have no objections to pseudo meat, or even lab grown meat, I would try a vegan spam without prejudice. I’ve enjoyed more then one black bean burger. However as yet I’ve not had any vegan dish that rivals the meat it supposed to replace. That’s not to say it ain’t good, just no where near as good as meat. They do make good side dishes:).
Every few years my pants shrink too much and I have to loose a bit of belly. Nothing works as well as ****/Adkins/Paleo diet for me. 1800 calories of meat fat eggs and cheese with a few leafy greens leaves me full. At the same time I feel hungry on 2000+ calories of high veggie diet. I could never stay happy on stuff you feed food.

I am glad I dont have to eat like that
Just meat, potatoes, a few vegtables, and some fruit and a beer. Love my spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back