• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on SPAM "meat"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...., Mine are for an overnight or several day trek:
Rockahominy (ground, parched corn)
raisins
air cured, dry bacon
cayenne pepper flakes
salt
Jerky (home made)
Tea ("gunpowder", a green tea in tiny little balls that looks like canon powder)
Rum
I may or may not also carry ship's biscuit

For a day trek:
Parched corn
Jerky
tea
maybe some taffy

LD
I function under the presumption that I don't know how long I will be afield. As such, I carry rations in excess of those needed for the time I am out...

I function under the presumption that I don't know how long I will be afield. As such, I carry rations in excess of those needed for the time I am out...

If you're alone, taking extra food is a good idea in case you are hurt in an accident, and the area you are in isn't covered by nearby cell-phone towers. If you have to rest up a bit, that extra amount of food can be critical if you are "s.o.l." for a few days and can't get out easily. In the western US, there are huge chucks of land were there aren't many people around and cell-phone coverage is non-existent.

If you're alone, taking extra food is a good idea in case you are hurt in an accident, and the area you are in isn't covered by nearby cell-phone towers. If you have to rest up a bit, that extra amount of food can be critical if you are "s.o.l." for a few days and can't get out easily. In the western US, there are huge chucks of land were there aren't many people around and cell-phone coverage is non-existent.

Got a ham radio license and never be alone unless you want to

Apparently you aren't into the traditional (BC/PC) way of life the way others on this forum are. If you depend on modern comms to ALWAYS work, there are sometimes local environmental conditions that will block your signal. A smart guy like you ought to know that can happen, or that if you get hurt through a fall or slip down a slope the equipment you are relying on, might get damaged also.

Apparently you aren't into the traditional (BC/PC) way of life the way others on this forum are. If you depend on modern comms to ALWAYS work, there are sometimes local environmental conditions that will block your signal. A smart guy like you ought to know that can happen, or that if you get hurt through a fall or slip down a slope the equipment you are relying on, might get damaged also.

Its better to have it and not need it

Got a ham radio license and never be alone unless you want to
Until the power goes down and your system malfunctions. Then you are alone and must depend on your knowledge and skills. You can have my part of the world SPAM supply and I will hunt and gather wild plant foods/medicines.

Until the power goes down and your system malfunctions. Then you are alone and must depend on your knowledge and skills. You can have my part of the world SPAM supply and I will hunt and gather wild plant foods/medicines.

You aint got a clue. Most ham radios use DC power . "BATTERIES"
Dont need no electricity. Solar energy will re-charge the batteries.

If you hunt from the cab of your tuck, there's no end to how much stuff you can haul around with you. If you go out on foot, there's a practical limit to how much food, gear, water, rifle/smoothbore, powder and shot you can carry.

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/how-much-should-your-pack-weigh

For an extended trip, roughly 20% of your body weight is the recommended maximum amount to carry. For normal sized humans that don't eat hi-fat diets larded with spam and similar fatty foods, that would be about 40 pounds for a 200 pound male in good health. If you're a bigger guy than that and over 35/40 years old, a 300 pound guy who isn't worried about a heart attack of stroke from lack of exercise and/or bad diet high in salts, fatty foods in excessive amounts, perhaps could carry 60 pounds without breaking a sweat.

If your purpose is hunting, once you bag something add that to the load you intend to haul out.

So, that ham gear, now requires a solar panel for charging it up in case the batteries are low or aren't working because the temperatures are in the zero or below range. Add a few more pounds to your load. How much do you think you can carry on your back, not in your truck?

You can't carry everything, but you can learn and know how to use survival skills. The US military teaches SERE training, and one of the things they do is expect people taking the course to do is be able to survive without using electronics, and use what they've been taught in the course.

Batteries and solar panels ARE power despite your protestations to the contrary. Solar panels fail and batteries die. Can you make or repair solar panels and batteries? I doubt it.

Please stop treating everyone else like they are idiots because we are on to you and it isn't working in your favor...

If you hunt from the cab of your tuck, there's no end to how much stuff you can haul around with you. If you go out on foot, there's a practical limit to how much food, gear, water, rifle/smoothbore, powder and shot you can carry.

https://www.rei.com/blog/camp/how-much-should-your-pack-weigh

For an extended trip, roughly 20% of your body weight is the recommended maximum amount to carry. For normal sized humans that don't eat hi-fat diets larded with spam and similar fatty foods, that would be about 40 pounds for a 200 pound male in good health. If you're a bigger guy than that and over 35/40 years old, a 300 pound guy who isn't worried about a heart attack of stroke from lack of exercise and/or bad diet high in salts, fatty foods in excessive amounts, perhaps could carry 60 pounds without breaking a sweat.

If your purpose is hunting, once you bag something add that to the load you intend to haul out.

So, that ham gear, now requires a solar panel for charging it up in case the batteries are low or aren't working because the temperatures are in the zero or below range. Add a few more pounds to your load. How much do you think you can carry on your back, not in your truck?

You can't carry everything, but you can learn and know how to use survival skills. The US military teaches SERE training, and one of the things they do is expect people taking the course to do is be able to survive without using electronics, and use what they've been taught in the course.

You still aint got a clue about ham radio
Go and read the book
"HAM RADIO FOR DUMMIES"

You still aint got a clue about ham radio
Go and read the book
"HAM RADIO FOR DUMMIES"

You're the one talking about ham radio. Not me. I'm pointing out there's only so much a normal human is capable of hauling around if they are on foot. Sounds like you aren't concerned if you do you hunting from the road and the cab of your truck.

The US military knows far more about surviving in the wild than you do, and they teach people how to live without any electronics. What you carry in your head is far more important than what you can carry on your back.

You're the one talking about ham radio. Not me. I'm pointing out there's only so much a normal human is capable of hauling around if they are on foot. Sounds like you aren't concerned if you do you hunting from the road and the cab of your truck.

The US military knows far more about surviving in the wild than you do, and they teach people how to live without any electronics. What you carry in your head is far more important than what you can carry on your back.

A HT (walkie talkie) with a fold up external antenna weight less than 2 pounds. And With just 5 watts of RF power you can talk to the ISS (international space station).

I do carry a cell phone. And tell my wife where I am and when she can expect to hear from me. I also have a bic lighter and some modren first aid gear. I want to enjoy my playing in the past, but am going to try to play safe.
I don’t want to die to enjoy my sport. However shy of an emergency I do my best to eat correct foods, use correct equipment, function in similar ways.
Some times for a camp pot luck I need some fresh food, so I have to make a town run to pick up something, but then I still try to make an historic meal, we live in the here in now.

Fifteen pages of guys telling what their personal preferences are...interesting.

It has always been obvious that the Camp Cooking forum has nothing to do with HC/PC foods except by accident, but I wonder... does anyone ever try using only period foods preserved/prepared in the period way when trekking or camping?

Spence

(been a long time since I have posted Thanks for updating this whole web=page link!)
Yes smoke dried cured bacon packed in brown sugar for drying hard (makes a better meat soup), dried corn (wind dried on the cod-shelled off afterwards by hand) unbleached flour or rye flour, rice, coffee beans, dry beans (dried Peas/Lentils carry well) each in a separate linen bag tied with leather strip. Trekking/field pack has small kettle (holds all the dry goods) and wood spoon with long handle (keeps the pack upright), a small flat split of wood made with a froe to be used as a "spatula"/scraper. Depending on the season of the trek I would also pack some dried fruit in season, such as dried berries in spring/summer, dried apples in the fall/winter.
I carry a second pair of socks which helps with padding when needed with the kettle. Standard British canteen in wool (green) for potable water. Have gone through a few tin cups over the years (fell on a few - LOL)
My pack weights 22 pounds total, carried enough dried foods for a 5 day need, at a meal a day.
A winter trek has my snow shoes tied to the back of the pack for ease of carry (I use bear paw style since my "gate" length of walk is short (being short) with only rope for bindings.
Questions feel free to write back.....been a long time since I have been on.
Jim B. (woodchuck)

Good Morning
Only way I like Spam is fried in bacon grease.
Back when I was a Treadhead 3 C-Rat meals all mixed together with Spam and cooked over a GI stove made a decent meal on a cold day. But no Lima beans ever !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back