• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I made pemmican today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had made several batches of jerky that were perfect for turning into pemmican. Pemmican had been used for a couple hundred years by the plains indians, Voyagers, etc. This was their survival food. Typically made from dried buffalo meat and fat, the dried meat was pounded to a fine powder by native american women. I didn't have any of those women so the Ninja blender did a great job powdering the jerky. I added to it a big handfull of salted cashews and dried dehydrated apples from my tree. When I make beef ribs in the crock pot, i take the cooled hardened fat off the top and save the fat. That beef fat is what I used to add to the powdered meat mix. It turned out really well. The pemmican has a nice beef flavor and not overly fatty when eaten. I mostly taste the jerky flavor and not the nuts or fruit. This pemmican will make great trail food added to my jerked venison, parched corn and ships biscuits that I carry while trekking out in the woods.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Attachments

• pem 1.JPG
    pem 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • pem 2.JPG
    pem 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • pem 3.JPG
    pem 3.JPG
    932.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pem 4.JPG
    pem 4.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I had made several batches of jerky that were perfect for turning into pemmican. Pemmican had been used for a couple hundred years by the plains indians, Voyagers, etc. This was their survival food. Typically made from dried buffalo meat and fat, the dried meat was pounded to a fine powder by native american women. I didn't have any of those women so the Ninja blender did a great job powdering the jerky. I added to it a big handfull of salted cashews and dried dehydrated apples from my tree. When I make beef ribs in the crock pot, i take the cooled hardened fat off the top and save the fat. That beef fat is what I used to add to the powdered meat mix. It turned out really well. The pemmican has a nice beef flavor and not overly fatty when eaten. I mostly taste the jerky flavor and not the nuts or fruit. This pemmican will make great trail food added to my jerked venison, parched corn and ships biscuits that I carry while trekking out in the woods.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Very nicely done. I'm going to have to seriously consider trying your method. Do you remelt the fat and pour it and the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix? Cooling and storing method?
Any idea how long a batch stays safe to eat?

Funny or perhaps interesting observation ... Ive made plain jerky from deer ive killed many times . I made it in dehydraters and on racks by the wood stove . It was very authentic as it was completely devoid of any moisture so it would last a very long time on the trail like the stuff prepared " back in the day " . Now .... thats all well and good but ... its d@mn near impossible to eat !! LOL ...at least right away like modern jerky . When its that dry its good for grinding up before throwing into the pot too ... I found an original account where they just mention letting the jerky hang out of your mouth so you can slowly chew it as it , apparently ,slowly rehydrates ...slow and arduous but when your hungry , your hungry.... It was mostly used at the end of the day , thrown in a kettle full of water and any handy veggies available and cooked , rehydrating and then being edible stew meat .... The eating it while still in " jerked " condition is not its intended way to be eatin but will do in a pinch , but not very enjoyable. Most folks dont realize this .... My friend makes great " jerky " , very tasty and tender enough to chew and enjoy but ....what he and the majority of folks dont know is ,its not jerky . Its raw meat . Its not dehydrated to the extent that it will keep for long extended periods of time . I like it and enjoy it but I make sure its ate up before any length of time . Ive had to throw it away before , scum growing on the jerky , real jerky , fully " jerked meat " , can't spoil if kept dry . If you look at the ingredients of jerky in stores for sale and read the ingredients it'll make your head spin . They have to fill that bugger full of salt and so many preservatives so it wont spoil , rot, mold and so it'll be tender so you can eat it ... True , historically accurate and safe to keep for extended period of time , made jerky is hard as a stick and not enjoyable to eat ....

Last edited:
Look's good,, if anything maybe a might thick, let us know how storage goes and longevity.
The original stuff around here had blueberry and chokecherry that would have been a bit higher ascorbic acid content.
Thank you for sharing,

p.s. don't bother making "hardtack", flour is best used fresh.

Last edited:
I read that the Metis were big players in the pemmican trade. Believe they stored it in bags made from stomachs.

Wonder how far L&C would have gotten on Clif bars?

Back