• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This post is for anyone who wants to ask Newbies a build question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I will start with a simple photo and ask......What am I doing here and why?
Please, if you are an old hand and can do it blindfolded, no need to spoil the post for those learning.
Larry

IMG_6448.jpeg

You're assuming all newbies have a drill press?!?!?
Not at All. This post is trying to show anyone interested in one method to drill and tap for a TH. If you don't have a drill press and try to tap free hand it could get real ugly. The TH needs to be counter sunk flush with the filed on/in barrel flat. Don't think a newbie can make that happen free hand. JMO.

Last edited:
Not familiar with tapered barrels but it would seem to me for the liner to be perpendicular to barrel flat the muzzle end of the table would be raised
Your logic is good, but not true for what I have. There is no way you could know what I have with just a photo. Long story short, I extended the table with a chunk of hardwood I had, tiped the R side of the table down until the flat was 90 deg to a temporary long drill bit. In other words the flat taper is grater than the barrel taper. My main point to point out to anyone interested is that the table needs to be adjusted any direction so the barrel flat will end up 90 deg to the drill press chuck.
Thanks
Larry

Last edited:
Tapping a hole with a tap guide and what appears to be a drill press. Although your clamping system is a bit unconventional. Adapt and overcome
With all respect to you. I am not a machinist, but a carpenter. I use what I have. I have learned years ago, it don't matter how you skin the critter, just get it done safe and correct. What am I suppose to overcome, the TH is in to my expectations?
Larry

I might consider shoving a snug fitting dowel down the barrel. Line that up so the bore is hopefully parallel to the table surface and perpendicular to the drill or tap bit.:cool:

Just make sure if you are using the drill press to tap the hole, turn the chuck by hand or you will probably be trying to remove a broken tap (not fun).
Right you are!! The drill press is only for alighment and to hold the tapping pressure tool. I turn the tap by hand.
Good point to tell the newbies.
Thanks
Larry

Your taking a photo.. Because you wanted to show how you tap a Touch hole.. Man I nailed this test wooohoooo.
Actually you flunked 😂 Newbies and more newbies were to reply. You been around since 2012 I doubt you are a newbie unless I flunked math.
Thanks anyway we like to hear from everyone.
Larry

Your logic is good, but not true for what I have. There is no way you could know what I have with just a photo. Long story short, I extended the table with a chunk of hardwood I had, tiped the R side of the table down until the flat was 90 deg to a temporary long drill bit. In there words the flat taper is grater than the barrel taper. My main point to point out to anyone interested is that the table needs to be adjusted any direction so the barrel flat will end up 90 deg to the drill press chuck.
Thanks
Larry
Just what I was thinking but only had a picture to go by

Back