• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This post is for anyone who wants to ask Newbies a build question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at All. This post is trying to show anyone interested in one method to drill and tap for a TH. If you don't have a drill press and try to tap free hand it could get real ugly. The TH needs to be counter sunk flush with the filed on/in barrel flat. Don't think a newbie can make that happen free hand. JMO.
As an auto mechanic for 40+ years I've always drilled and tapped and countersunk freehand. But yes it can get real ugly especially on a customers engine, transmission, etc.
Not recommended for a newbie.

Actually you flunked 😂 Newbies and more newbies were to reply. You been around since 2012 I doubt you are a newbie unless I flunked math.
Thanks anyway we like to hear from everyone.
Larry
As we said in the Army "You are a NO-GO at this station please go to remedial training and come back when your ready to pass". Failure to read and understand the instructions is a failure on attention to detail. I stink at test.

Use the handle to move the tap down, but if you turn on the power, it's a guarantee to break the tap that's why you turn the chuck by hand .
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 10.28.37 AM.png

In case you did not know: This tool in the chuck, is a spring loaded tap alignment tool. The shaft extending into the top of the tap has spring loaded travel. This tool keeps consistent proper alignment pressure on the tap. No need to be moving the chuck down while hand turning the tap

Larry

Why not just get a drill press vice and be done with those clamps?
Good thought, but not for me in this circumstance. My DP vice is on the floor. Be it good or bad, my preference was to extend the table so the barrel would lay flat and solid. I do not like putting a 48" barrel into a short clamp.

PS Don't laugh at my dart backboard. Got grandkids that like to throw backwards under their crotch and then laugh.

Larry

IMG_6445.jpeg

I will start with a simple photo and ask......What am I doing here and why?
Please, if you are an old hand and can do it blindfolded, no need to spoil the post for those
I will start with a simple photo and ask......What am I doing here and why?
Please, if you are an old hand and can do it blindfolded, no need to spoil the post for those learning.
Larry

View attachment 305299
You're installing the most precise touch hole liner in the history of touch hole liners. Because that's the way you roll.

With all respect to you. I am not a machinist, but a carpenter. I use what I have. I have learned years ago, it don't matter how you skin the critter, just get it done safe and correct. What am I suppose to overcome, the TH is in to my expectations?
Larry
I meant no disrespect, I was rather impressed with your creativity . It means use what you have to complete your task

Use the handle to move the tap down, but if you turn on the power, it's a guarantee to break the tap that's why you turn the chuck by hand .
Yes, turn the chuck by hand and turn it forward a little way and then backwards to break the chips. Much less chance of breaking the tap that way. Of course, use cutting oil!

View attachment 305548
In case you did not know: This tool in the chuck, is a spring loaded tap alignment tool. The shaft extending into the top of the tap has spring loaded travel. This tool keeps consistent proper alignment pressure on the tap. No need to be moving the chuck down while hand turning the tap

Larry
after 21 years in the machine shop I have never seen that tool mine isn't spring loaded

after 21 years in the machine shop I have never seen that tool mine isn't spring loaded
I had never even heard of a alignment tool untill about 4 years ago, when someone on this forum pointed it out to this ignorant carpenter. I purchased one right away and have been using it where needed.
We can learn something every day if we have our eyes and ears open.
Thanks
Larry

Back