• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Walker objected...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose easiest way to get a chainfire would be to forget to cap cylinders. What other factors? I am sure that I will get a cap and ball revolver at some point, so real life experiences with chain fires, not just conjecture would be very interesting to me. How did yours happen Bad?
Mostly bad cap fit.
when loaded you should get a ring off the ball. If your undersized you could blow a spark.
Grease in the end of the chamber ease shooting it’s not a chain fire stop
Get the right cap.

I use RWS 1075 and never got a chainfire. But then I use grease in front too. With a brass plunger tube cake decorator. A bunch of Remmington #10 from Basspro (ship to store) right after the last Presidential election when I figured another shortage was coming.
Graf and Sons had tins of 250 and 2500 RWS 1075 a few months ago online. They did charge hazmat. Nobody else online had any, except scalpers on Gunbroker.
Those two, Rem 10 and RWS 1075 seem to fit most anything.

She reminds me of a girl I knew a long time ago, cigarette and all. Always a fun date, she fell off the back of my motorcycle once:eek:. Shooting pool with her was entertaining, she'd rack up the balls while putting on a juggling show. BTW no eye or hearing protection o_O.Guy should take better care of that gal, she's probably a lot of fun:thumb:
any girl that can juggle them, and with a fag in her mouth does not make her a bad person!

Well.l.l.l

"There might be snow on the roof, but there's still fire in the furnace."

Yeah, right.

One old muzzleloader had a bull that wasn't "performing his duty". Veterinarian gave the farmer some medicine to mix in the bull's feed. Another shooting buddy dropped by and asked if the bull was doing better. "Why, yes, he is. Every cow's been serviced."

"What was that medicine the vet gave you?"

"Don't rightly know, but it tastes like black powder."

It's funny that you have guys that are so petrified of a chain fire in their .36 Navy with 12 gr charges, they carefully apply secret lube over the chambers, seat the caps with a wooden dowel, shoot with a welding glove on and eye pro, hoping the dreaded Chain Fire doesn't occur with every shot.....and this lady is out here with a Marlboro light dangling from her mouth, no eye pro, probably capping off max loads of whatever they could mash into the chambers and some whatever caps they bought at a sporting goods store, had a chain fire and is giggling about it . They probably reloaded it and kept shooting afterwards.

It's funny that you have guys that are so petrified of a chain fire in their .36 Navy with 12 gr charges, they carefully apply secret lube over the chambers, seat the caps with a wooden dowel, shoot with a welding glove on and eye pro, hoping the dreaded Chain Fire doesn't occur with every shot.....and this lady is out here with a Marlboro light dangling from her mouth, no eye pro, probably capping off max loads of whatever they could mash into the chambers and some whatever caps they bought at a sporting goods store, had a chain fire and is giggling about it . They probably reloaded it and kept shooting afterwards.
I say exactly the same thing. can you imagine the people that settled this country thinking like these safety nut? they would still be offshore in the boats trying to make a "safe" landing. there isnt much sense in living if you think your gonna die when you turn on a blender or as soon as you step outside

It is a bit concerning at how some posters talk only about the qualities they project onto the shooter .

Ol' Cletus says, "Wail, now, don't ennah o' you Lonely Hearts Club, sidewindin' summa biscuits start a-makin' plans wiff ma virtuous woman!" :mad::mad::mad:

7F3494FF-760E-40E2-BDAB-0B7CF3A457E9.jpg

It's funny that you have guys that are so petrified of a chain fire in their .36 Navy with 12 gr charges, they carefully apply secret lube over the chambers, seat the caps with a wooden dowel, shoot with a welding glove on and eye pro, hoping the dreaded Chain Fire doesn't occur with every shot.....and this lady is ot here with a Marlboro light dangling from her mouth, no eye pro, probably capping off max loads of whatever they could mash into the chambers and some whatever caps they bought at a sporting goods store, had a chain fire and is giggling about it . They probably reloaded it and kept shooting afterwards.
Critical thinking and analysis of a situation is inconsistent with projecting onto those who offer other opinions assumptions that those folks are 'petrified' , shooting '12 gr charges', applying 'secret lube' over the chambers , use a 'wooden dowel' to seat their balls, wear a 'welding glove' while shooting and focus their shooing on a hope that a 'dreaded chain fire doesn't occur with every shot. And, to the shame of PC revolver shooters everywhere - the wear eye protection. That is, IMHO, a tremendous indulgence in gratuitous insults of folks on this thread who are, from what I can tell from their posts, sensible, mature, avid BP shooters and I suspect their degree of care also produces very small groups on the range.

But that's not the end of it. The projections extend in equal measure to the heroic, bad-ass shooter: 'Marlboro light dangling from her mouth" (could be a joint for all you know, and ,Clint Eastwood lighting of dynamite with his cheroot was A MOVIE ), "no eye pro" ( how is this to be admired?) , 'probably capping on max loads of whatever they could mash into the chambers and whatever caps the bought at a sporting goods store" ( again, absolutely no basis for this 'probability', and ascribes to this person or her accomplice 1) the most likely cause of the chain fire and 2) the most irresponsible lack of knowledge about the weapon and the use thereof ) and , to complete the imaginary projections onto this duo ( who, as best I could tell from the video, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn) 'they probably reloaded it and kept shooting afterward' - what is the basis for this "probably " of action which any responsible firearm owner would consider irresponsible to the point of recklessness?

Maybe there are more folks on this forum than might be expected who 'cap on max loads of whatever they can mash into the chamber' , but that approach to use of a deadly weapon, to the derision of those who extol reasonable regard for safety of themselves and others nearby, is EXACTLY why the Darwin Awards were created. To see this mentality surface in conjunction with their projections onto a gal in a tank top is....sad.

Last edited:
Critical thinking and analysis of a situation is inconsistent with projecting onto those who offer other opinions assumptions that those folks are 'petrified' , shooting '12 gr charges', applying 'secret lube' over the chambers , use a 'wooden dowel' to seat their balls, wear a 'welding glove' while shooting and focus their shooing on a hope that a 'dreaded chain fire doesn't occur with every shot. And, to the shame of PC revolver shooters everywhere - the wear eye protection. That is, IMHO, a tremendous indulgence in gratuitous insults of folks on this thread who are, from what I can tell from their posts, sensible, mature, avid BP shooters and I suspect their degree of care also produces very small groups on the range.

But that's not the end of it. The projection extends to the heroic bad-ass shooter: 'Marlboro light dangling from her mouth" (could be a joint for all you know), "no eye pro" ( how is this to be admired?) , 'probably capping on max loads of whatever they could mash into the chambers and whatever caps the bought at a sporting goods store" ( again, absolutely no basis for this 'probability', and ascribes to this person or her accomplice 1) the most likely cause of the chain fire and 2) the most irresponsible lack of knowledge about the weapon and the use thereof ) and , to complete the imaginary projections onto this duo ( who, as best I could tell from the video, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn) 'they probably reloaded it and kept shooting afterward' - what is the basis for this "probably " of action which any responsible firearm owner would consider irresponsible to the point of recklessness?

Maybe there are more folks on this forum than might be expected who 'cap on max loads of whatever they can mash into the chamber' , but that approach to use of a deadly weapon, to the derision of those who extol reasonable regard for safety of themselves and others nearby, is EXACTLY why the Darwin Awards were created. To see this mentality surface in conjunction with their projections onto a gal in a tank top is....sad.

The original purpose of the post was to have a little fun , it's ok, join in the fun, it's fine

You might contact Track Of the Wolf and ask about nipples suitable for the 11’s you have. I have heard of people making a sizing die to resize 11’s to fit #10 cones.

This is the truth… chain fires don’t seem to damage the guns. Or if they do, I haven’t heard about it. WRT the shooter, admittedly I don’t have much experience with them but the experience was startling, momentarily, and that’s all it was. Once I examined the gun I could see there was only a smear of lead on the left side of the frame and nothing else. I fired the remaining charges and then reloaded exactly as I had the first cylinder and promptly had another chain fire. Again, no damage to me or the gun. I bought a .465” mold and a bag of 465 ball from track of the wolf and the gun was absolutely reliable and accurate with those balls.

No damage!
View attachment 126144
Love those grips. Dale

That guy was looking to lose his left hand, holding the barrel with left hand ahead of the cylinder and cocking the hammer with his right.

Back