• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Walker objected...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the old Jeep a secondary target? Thought at first it was the angle being filmed from but when they moved the camera it really seems to be in the downrange zone. Seems like a bad place to park with people shooting handguns. I've seen more than a few rounds go off unexpectedly over the years, especially with single actions. Though at least with chain fires the balls rarely seem to go very far. It was an impressive amount of fire around that cylinder!!

Is the old Jeep a secondary target? Thought at first it was the angle being filmed from but when they moved the camera it really seems to be in the downrange zone. Seems like a bad place to park with people shooting handguns. I've seen more than a few rounds go off unexpectedly over the years, especially with single actions. Though at least with chain fires the balls rarely seem to go very far. It was an impressive amount of fire around that cylinder!!
The target is a blue plastic jug hanging from the fence post. Think the jeep is almost directly opposite the line of fire.

I suppose easiest way to get a chainfire would be to forget to cap cylinders. What other factors? I am sure that I will get a cap and ball revolver at some point, so real life experiences with chain fires, not just conjecture would be very interesting to me. How did yours happen Bad?

I have only had that happen with loose caps. If the ball shaves lead on the way in, you got no worry from the front end of things.

Was a real surprise having 5 of 6 chambers detonate at once. Except mine chain fire was with an 1860. I spent the better part of an afternoon with tools pulling lead out of the frame, got into all the nooks and crannies.
Took me awhile to figure out it was the loose caps. Once I figured that out and started using proper sized caps it stopped.

So my guess it was a case of loose caps, but it could have been undersized balls. Which I have stupidly used before but they tended to be pushed out a tad by the force of it all and then inhibit moving to the next chamber.

Tight caps, shaved lead. You got that going on you don't get chain fire.

I suppose easiest way to get a chainfire would be to forget to cap cylinders. What other factors? I am sure that I will get a cap and ball revolver at some point, so real life experiences with chain fires, not just conjecture would be very interesting to me. How did yours happen Bad?

When I first started black powder revolver shooting, I had a Pietta 1858. I bought some #11 caps. They were too loose, and would fall off. www search said to pinch the caps so they stay on better. I did, and was regularly getting chain fires. As soon as I started using #10 caps I no longer experienced any more chain fires.

Many years ago, I was assigned range duty for nighttime firearms training. What light there was, you brought with you or relied on starlight. Absolutely pitch black.
I brought my Walker to kill time with in between running shooters through the course of fire. I had fun lighting up the night sky with the powder flashes from my Walker…. 60 gr of FFFG.

And then, I had the most pleasant ? WT….. moment when I had a chain fire. Not a little key chain type, I’m talking chain lightning. It light the range brilliantly, like a transformer blowing up. Very cool…

Thankfully no damage and no injuries. That only happened once, and that was enough. :dunno: :cool::thumb:

Latest posts

Back