• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Walker objected...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose easiest way to get a chainfire would be to forget to cap cylinders. What other factors? I am sure that I will get a cap and ball revolver at some point, so real life experiences with chain fires, not just conjecture would be very interesting to me. How did yours happen Bad?
I’m sure the one I experienced came from an undersized ball in Pietta Shooters model Remington. They come with .456” chambers and the balls I used were cast by someone else at around .455” I had two chain fires and then I put it up until I got the proper mold to cast my own ball. Some say the condition occurs with ill fitted caps but I have tried to induce a chain fire by leaving the caps completely off a couple of times and the adjacent chambers would not fire. Did this with an 1860 Colt, a .36 Police model, the Shooters Model Pietta, and a Ruger Old Army. None would chain fire.

look closely at the slo-mo in that video. The chain fire is coming from the front of the cylinder. The Walkers require .457 balls and I’d bet 5 bucks they used .454 or .451”

Dragoons with shoulder stocks punish improper hand placement...
I have seen a chain fire in one of these , the shooter remembered just before he shot and took his hand away from the barrel . I had a mate whos revolver had a problem with chain firing , we replaced the nipples with ones with shorter cones and used CCI no 10 caps which are shorter , no more problems .

'morning,

Yup, chain fires will wake you up. Mine only did the adjacent chamber, but nice smear of lead down the side of the pistol. My first bp revolver, one of those 1851s in .44 that didn't really exist. But I love that gun, probably my most shot revolver. Had good shaved lead, but I was pinching oversized caps (based on advice of a friend), I attribute it to the loose cap.

They're fairly common to see at reenactments, but then, there's no ball to seal the chamber. Part of the reason that I'll stick with my Sharps.

Mike

I’m sure the one I experienced came from an undersized ball in Pietta Shooters model Remington. They come with .456” chambers and the balls I used were cast by someone else at around .455” I had two chain fires and then I put it up until I got the proper mold to cast my own ball. Some say the condition occurs with ill fitted caps but I have tried to induce a chain fire by leaving the caps completely off a couple of times and the adjacent chambers would not fire. Did this with an 1860 Colt, a .36 Police model, the Shooters Model Pietta, and a Ruger Old Army. None would chain fire.

look closely at the slo-mo in that video. The chain fire is coming from the front of the cylinder. The Walkers require .457 balls and I’d bet 5 bucks they used .454 or .451”
The actual chainfire will always come from the front of the cylinder. But that doesn't mean that it was initiated there. And it most likely didn't. Assuming balls of correct diameter, fire from one chamber simply cannot pass into another.

The actual chainfire will always come from the front of the cylinder. But that doesn't mean that it was initiated there. And it most likely didn't. Assuming balls of correct diameter, fire from one chamber simply cannot pass into another.
That’s the assumption. A pitted chamber, .454 balls in a .456 chamber and viola!

Not centering the ram on the ball or out of round balls or out of round chambers or the sprue interfering with an evenly sheared ring... there's plenty of ways to screw up. Bear in mind that sulfur and salt peter both liquefy and turn into a self powering incandescent molten flowing mass as the black powder combusts. Ready to exploit any path it can find.

She's starting to grow on me, wonder what brand she smokes.
Watched it about ten times, at the end of the cook-off, it appears to shoot some flame out the nipple! C'mon guys, the guns nipple, geeeeze!
Robby, Now THAT"S, FUNNY!!!

Wow. First time I have seen that. I have heard about it but never seen it. Glad no one was hurt. Thanks for posting.

It also doesn't look like they were shooting overly heavy loads either, so recoil shouldn't have been backing out the unfired rounds. Unless they were undersize.

Smoke from her mouth and fire outa the nipple - Dragon Lady??? Built kinda funny if that's the case.

Back