• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Walker objected...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure the one I experienced came from an undersized ball in Pietta Shooters model Remington. They come with .456” chambers and the balls I used were cast by someone else at around .455” I had two chain fires and then I put it up until I got the proper mold to cast my own ball. Some say the condition occurs with ill fitted caps but I have tried to induce a chain fire by leaving the caps completely off a couple of times and the adjacent chambers would not fire. Did this with an 1860 Colt, a .36 Police model, the Shooters Model Pietta, and a Ruger Old Army. None would chain fire.

look closely at the slo-mo in that video. The chain fire is coming from the front of the cylinder. The Walkers require .457 balls and I’d bet 5 bucks they used .454 or .451”

I have been using .454 in my Walker (Uberti). I think I will change to .457. (groan, it will maybe make ramming harder).

she is lucky that she got off three rounds ok and cleared that bottom frame with a live round or the outcome would have been different.

This always bothered me. Why I hear of chainfires all the time but never a catastrophe unless someone's hand was out in front. I'm guessing the chamber behind the bottom frame is far less likely to chain fire. I'm not sure if this is because the cap/nipple is more protected on that chamber compared to the ones on the side, or the front of the chamber is more protected. I think one or the other is the reason.

I've had one chain fire and survived. Suspect it was #11 caps on the revolver that calls for #10. Being cheap I was pinching them on and got a lesson.

This always bothered me. Why I hear of chainfires all the time but never a catastrophe unless someone's hand was out in front. I'm guessing the chamber behind the bottom frame is far less likely to chain fire. I'm not sure if this is because the cap/nipple is more protected on that chamber compared to the ones on the side, or the front of the chamber is more protected. I think one or the other is the reason.
I’ve heard of the bottom chamber firing in such an event. No real damage to gun or shooter and if you think about it once the ball leaves the chamber the pressure drops pretty much instantly. Very little force behind it at that point. Would I want to get in front of it? Well no… but I’ve never heard of an injury occurring during a chain fire.

there is a tough girl. she is thin yet holding that giant pistol extended with one hand. after the chain fire she laughed. she is the opposite of all the safety first scare monger harpies who tell people their arms will be blown off from a chain fire
she is not a girl- she is a real woman!! it did not even make a HICCUP in the road with her!! and the ash on the end of her cigarette did not fall off! way to go girl!

She reminds me of a girl I knew a long time ago, cigarette and all. Always a fun date, she fell off the back of my motorcycle once:eek:. Shooting pool with her was entertaining, she'd rack up the balls while putting on a juggling show. BTW no eye or hearing protection o_O.Guy should take better care of that gal, she's probably a lot of fun:thumb:

How many of you guys paper patch revolver bullets? Just curious about chain fires going that route.

she is not a girl- she is a real woman!! it did not even make a HICCUP in the road with her!! and the ash on the end of her cigarette did not fall off! way to go girl!
way to go girl?? shouldnt it be way to go woman??

How many of you guys paper patch revolver bullets? Just curious about chain fires going that route.
Not many as the paper would be scraped off while loading. The bullet or ball should have a larger diameter than the chamber mouth to size the bullet or ball to the chamber leaving no place for the flame to go around the bullet.

Actually, one would use the paper cartridge to make loading easier. Tear off the end of the cartridge and pour the powder in the chamber. The paper wrapped around the bullet would act as an over powder wad as the remaining paper is scraped off on ramming the bullet into the chamber.

I have a ton of #11 caps. Now I'm getting gun-shy.
Robby

If #11 caps fit your gun, then those are the ones to use.

On my first gun, I didn't know any better, and just grabbed a tin of caps at the store. They all seemed the same to me. The #11 caps were too big for my gun, and some of them would not even stay on. Pinching them a little kept them in place, but allowed for chainfites.

BTW, there was no damage to the gun or me from the chainfires.

I have a ton of #11 caps. Now I'm getting gun-shy.
Robby
You might contact Track Of the Wolf and ask about nipples suitable for the 11’s you have. I have heard of people making a sizing die to resize 11’s to fit #10 cones.

If #11 caps fit your gun, then those are the ones to use.

On my first gun, I didn't know any better, and just grabbed a tin of caps at the store. They all seemed the same to me. The #11 caps were too big for my gun, and some of them would not even stay on. Pinching them a little kept them in place, but allowed for chainfites.

BTW, there was no damage to the gun or me from the chainfires.
This is the truth… chain fires don’t seem to damage the guns. Or if they do, I haven’t heard about it. WRT the shooter, admittedly I don’t have much experience with them but the experience was startling, momentarily, and that’s all it was. Once I examined the gun I could see there was only a smear of lead on the left side of the frame and nothing else. I fired the remaining charges and then reloaded exactly as I had the first cylinder and promptly had another chain fire. Again, no damage to me or the gun. I bought a .465” mold and a bag of 465 ball from track of the wolf and the gun was absolutely reliable and accurate with those balls.

No damage!
1646507952794.jpeg

Back