• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THAT FIRST INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As most of you know, I just acquired my first blackpowder rifle - my dream come true - a beautiful .50 Thompson Center Arms Hawken rifle. Is there a lovelier piece of weaponry in the whole wide world?

After a quick trip to Cabela's for supplies, and after tearing her down and making sure she was ready, I waited for the weather to clear so I could take my first shot.

The sunlight broke through the clouds at mid-day and my husband Cabin Fever and I loaded up our gear and headed out to test our new weapons.

Cabin Fever and I took turns shooting his new Thompson Contender's .410, .30/.30, .45 and .22 mag barrels. He was pleased with his new purchase. (Ho-hum.)

Then it was my turn.

I had read. I had studied. I had memorized what I needed to do. I snapped a couple of caps on the nipple just to test her out. I poured my FFG powder from my flask into my powder measure, then half cocked the hammer. Setting the rifle butt on my boot, I made sure to push the barrel away from my face and poured the measured charge down the barrel. I tapped the side of the barrel three times with the heel of my hand, and laid a lubed patch over the muzzle. Then I carefully centered my lead ball in the middle of my patch. I started the ball into the barrel with my bullet starter, and snapped it into the barrel. A sharp blow with the heel of my hand on the rod end of the starter and it was time to use my ramrod. I seated the ball firmly against the powder charge, withdrew the ramrod and was set to go.

My husband watched intently as I pulled the hammer back to full-cock position and pressed a tiny cap onto the nipple. I raised "Old Thunder" and I made sure that the wickedly curved brass butt plate cupped my shoulder. I peered down the sights at my target, pulled the set trigger until it clicked firmly into position - and held my breathe.

My index finger just brushed the trigger - a flask of light, a cloud of smoke and

KAAAAHHHH- BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!

wooooooooohhhh

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

What a RUSH!!!

What a sound! What a FEELING!!!

Sign me up! I am HOOKED!!!

Before long, my husband begged me to let him shoot my Hawken, and took a few shots himself. Before the afternoon was over, he admitted that HE was hooked and my rifle was much more fun than his pistol. (I could have told him that)

He can't believe how much fun blackpowder muzzleloaders are and he says he might be looking for a flintlock for himself. Says he might be borrowing my muzzleloader for deer season - in his dreams!

What a wonderful exciting experience!

Folks, I measure my life not by the breaths I take, but by the moments that take my breath away.

Last year, I rode a camel and mushed a dogsled team. This year, I shot my first blackpowder muzzleloader.

I LOVE this time of my life. And I LOVE my .50 caliber Thompson Center Arms Hawken rifle.

Thanks for understanding what I'm feeling and for sharing in this very special moment that took my breath away.

YEE HAW!!!

Well, it sounds like you did everything right and had a wonderful time with the new gal. Glad to hear it. And we could have all told your husband that Your gun was a lot more fun to shoot. :hatsoff:

I think that's just outstanding...a great story well told...and the TC Hawken will serve you well.
Congratulations!

Well, ya maybe, might, could let him use it for deer season, after you get your deer. :rotf:
Bill

Well done Wind! Well done! :hatsoff:

Great story of how its done as well! :grin:
tell your husband that if he is nice ... you will let him clean it for you as a reward! :shocked2: :hmm: :blah:

Davy

Glad to see your addiction!
after reading your well versed experience, I feel that your exerience and words belong on a muzzleloader promotion poster! its that good!

What I find very funny, is, I sold my TC contender and barrels to get my first muzzleloader! pass that along to your husband!

I see a handgun in your future as well!

Enjoy,

Brett

I really don't think I've ever heard it put that way before.dang that were great! glad you enjoyed it , and got the hubby into it too.that's awesome!welcome to "it" you'll love "it" and we'll all know what "it" is and what "it's" like! thanks fer sharin! RC

"

Wind,
Very well written. I could feel your excitement, and I loved your expression:

Folks, I measure my life not by the breaths I take, but by the moments that take my breath away.

:thumbsup:

An excellent report of your first experiences with something that I'm sure will grow into your very soul.

They should put warning labels on these rifles advising that black powder rifles and shooting is habit forming.

I am sure there will countless more enjoyable days out shooting your Hawkins. Have fun with your new sport.

Glad to hear of your experiance! Welcome to the greatest shooting there is.

I would like to think the folks here on the MLF tought you all about loading your TC because you did everything right! :)

zonie :)

Congradulations from the guy who started the "be-sure-to-push-the-muzzle-out-from-under-your-chin" warning. Your hair looks to long and pretty to be charred black and smell like a scorched poodle! Can also attest to the fact that you really need to be careful...I did it twice!! Don't ask!!! :rotf:

CONGRATULATIONS!

I just had my own first experience several weeks ago, and know how you feel. ;)

It gets even better!

Liam

Black powder, the most addictive substance known. No wonder they're trying to make it so hard to get!

Thank you for your wonderful story. It literally brought back every moment of my own first experience as I read it. I can still remember the breeze, the angle of the sun in the sky, the shaky feeling I had to fight as I began to touch off my first ever BP load. That was 30 some years ago and I was but a lad of 12 or 13.

I'm glad you had such a great time, and especially glad we were able to help and that you shared it with us!

Back