• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So, A Mountain Man Walks Into A Gunshop....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I went out looking for my first muzzleloader the fellow at the gun counter informed me the Thompson Center Hawken would make the Mountain Men of yore fall into a swoon. He assured me it was a far finer gun than an original Hawken having a coil spring lock and all. Yup, the Thompson Center Hawken was one tough customer.

So, a Mountain Man walks into a gunshop and finds a whole rack full of modern production sidelock muzzleloading rifles, collectively referred to as "Hawken style" guns. Which gun does he walk out with?

Last edited:
When I lllwent out looking for my first muzzleloader the fellow at the gun counter informed me the Thompson Center Hawken would make the Mountain Men of yore fall into a swoon. He assured me it was a far finer gun than an original Hawken having a coil spring lock and all. Yup, the Thompson Center Hawken was one tough customer.

So, a Mountain Man walks into a gunshop and finds a whole rack full of modern production sidelock muzzleloading rifles, collectively referred to as "Hawken style" guns. Which gun does he walk out with?
What is said Mountain mans budget?

*edit*

My guess would a this on the lower end of prices....

Investarm™ Gemmer Hawken Rifle - Plains Rifle

He'd buy the one thats already loaded so he doesn't have to waste his powder and lead. **Note about half ML'ers at pawn shops are brought in loaded.** PS my buddy owns a large gunstore/Pawn Shop**

Keep in mind he isn’t a gun nut. He wouldn’t care about traditional. He is trapping to make money. He wouldn’t give a rats behind for the little non traditional things that bother us. If an inline or a Winchester 94 or an ar is in the shelf he could well grab that.
Only advantage the ml would have would be his ability to make his fixxins

Latest posts

Back