• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THAT FIRST INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good story is one that you can visualize...I feel as if I was there with you. Treasure and file away your experience. :hatsoff:

thanks for a great story. there is certianly an addictive magic to burning charcoal that you just don't get with centerfire.

now that you're hooked, get a flintlock.

if you thought your current rifle was fun, just wait until you bang a rock!

CAUTION: MAY BE HABIT FORMING. MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO DISPOSABLE INCOME. MAY CAUSE INEXPLICABLE LOSS OF SPARE TIME.

Dang, wish I could tell a story that well. Congrats and keep having fun. :hatsoff:

Yeehaaw! :thumbsup:
I liked the idea of lettin' yore hubby clean the rifle, just to kinda serve an apprenticeship, so to speak. :rotf:

:) Wind in Her Hair you really need to let go.Tell us how you really feel !!!

I'm thinking that Rifle look good around the Fireplace.Along with the Bear Trap :thumbsup:

You Guys an't seen nothing yet,like her Cabin out in the middle of nowhere.

oneshot

There ain't nothin' more addictive than breathin' in your first smell of burnin' powder. Great story, you got a way with words gal tell the hubby to to loose the contender. :haha: :haha:

I'll buy ya 10 of them ther hawkens ifn ya trade yor hubby fer me,,,,,Wagh!!!!..........Seriously,your husban is a lucky critter to latch on to a woman what can shoot and love a stinkin Muzzleloader......
Shoot your Hawkeen for years afore you pay any tenshun to these hyar gosh offal fellers hyar..........Afore ya no it,you'll be a cravin a flintlok..........Ya will gradiate to a flinter somday....................Glad ya like it................Bob

Howdy, Oneshot!

Imagine bumpin' into you here!

What a great website this is! And a great place full of wonderful information and generous FRIENDLY folks willin' to share their knowledge. :winking:

I've learned more here by accident than most other websites teach by design.

I'm lookin' forward to this journey into the excitin' world of blackpowder!

a little low to the right...but that improved after I mastered that dern set trigger apparatus!

Wow!

Does Old Thunder have a hair trigger when the set trigger is "on"...mercy!

After we walked around scouring the ground for the patches and found only blackened remnants of patches, we realized that the .010 patches we were using were WAY too thin and we bought .015. We'll give those a try this weekend.

I ransacked through my quilting stash downstairs and recovered some ticking - Granny would roll over in her grave if she knew I was using it for patches!

How does a gal go about cutting ticking for patches? What diameter for a .50 caliber?

Oh, mercy, I got so much to learn...

:redface:

I use a sharpen hole saw(no teeth, just a razor sharp edge) on a door knob handle, its a 1 5/16 (outside diameter) that cuts a patch that is just a skoosh over 1 1/8. I cut 8 to 12 layers at a time.

The old time method is to use strips of your oerfered patch material, in which you start your ball in the muzzle flush, and cutwith apatch knife or whatever sharp instrument you prefer.

Brett

Hi Wind in her hair... You can always seat your ball flush with the muzzle and trim the excess from the patch with your trusty patch knife...By the way I'm about to become the proud owner of a T C Big Boar rifle...WOO HOO!!! I can't wait to start cranking out smoke with that thing!

Wind in Her Hair said:
I ransacked through my quilting stash downstairs and recovered some ticking - Granny would roll over in her grave if she knew I was using it for patches!

She might be right proud. Granpa might have raided her stash for years for patch material himself.

I have mentioned this before, but you may find it helpful: I take a strip of washed ticking and fold over again and again starting at one end, until I have a folded bundle about as square as a generous patch would be. Then I take my scissors and cut each corner off, just like cutting paper dolls (my wife says I am about ready to cut paper dolls) and this leaves a nice string of patches held to each other by a little strip at each patches' corner, Makes it real easy to cut at the muzzle, and of course the whole works can also be lubed ahead just as you would do if it was in a strip, or can be spit patched as you shoot. Just a suggestion. Good smoke, ron in FL

Pre cut patches for a .50 cal rifle/pistol should be a tiny bit larger than 1 5/16 diameter. Now, that's according to calculation.
It actually isn't too critical as long as the patching material fully contacts the bore of the gun when the ball is inserted.
Even square patches seem to work fine and tests have shown they have little or no effect on the accuracy.

zonie :)

Great tale. That's probably the way most of us felt when we took that first shot, but our stories tend to be more like:

I took my new rifle to the range and shot up a bunch of targets.

Its all in the telling, I suppose.

Wind in Her Hair said:
Thanks, Zonie and have I mentioned you look an awfully lot like Russell Means? :hmm:
WiHH,
Russell Means? Maybe? I like to think
of him as the Wizard. Like from the "Wizard of Oz".In a puff of black smoke, he will send you back where you belong when necessary.
snake-eyes :hmm:

M'Lady, you write very prettily. You've set us a new standard. Don't black powder smell nice?

Latest posts

Back